The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Newbie Referee

First year referee here out of Rochester, NY (finished my first season in May). I have worked a few AAU tournaments after the season to try to stay active, so I can continue to improve. I love to ref and my goal is to make Varsity with my Board and eventually ref at the college level. I just worked a couple games in a men's rec league yesterday, which were very competitive. I was already warned before doing these games, that the players would definitely whine a lot and that they would test me. This was probably the best competition that I have officiated so far. I did an okay job with handling the players and the whining, but I still could not help not feeling like a “newbie” on the court. I definitely made a few newbie mistakes on the court that were noticeable to people, but I tried to stay as confident as best as I can. These games made me realize I have a long way to go before I’m ready for the Varsity or College levels. My question to everyone in this post is, at what point in your Referee career did you start to feel more comfortable or no longer a “newbie” and everything started to “click” for you on the court?
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

I'll let you know when it happens.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 10:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Everything is never going to click. Each year I learn something new and improve and I think "how the hell did I think I was a good referee before this?"

Find out if Jeff Anderson participates in any local camps and clinics and latch on to what he has to offer.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 10:44am
Official & Member

The "newbie" feeling that you have is probably a lack of confidence. It is completely natural and likely obvious only to yourself and veteran partners you work with. EVERYBODY starts out with the same feelings. Any veteran official who claims different isn't being honest with you...or more likely, they don't remember back that far.

There are really only two things that will build that confidence...one of which is somewhat beyond your control, the other is completely under your control:

1) Work as many games as possible and practical. That includes non-varsity, youth, AAU, whatever. Be careful not to bite off more than you can handle. Adult Rec ball can be challenging to veteran officials. Trying to officiate whiney, washed up athletes is probably not the best arena to try to polish your skills. Stick to youth...up to and including high school ball. It's a lot less stress and lower impact than college or adults. Thus it's a better proving ground. The number of games you work is somewhat beyond your control unless you are an assigner as well. Make sure your assigner(s) know you want to get as much experience as possible.

2) Know the rules! This , for me, was the real key to having the confidence to do a real good job as a new official. There is absolutely NO SUBSTITUTE for getting your nose in the rule book and learning it inside and out. Once you are confident that you know the rules better than the coaches, players, fans, table crew and anybody else in the building (including some partners!), you'd be surprised how definitive and crisp your calls and mechanics become. This is the factor that is 100% under YOUR control.

Good luck and welcome to the ranks.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Everything is never going to click. Each year I learn something new and improve and I think "how the hell did I think I was a good referee before this?"

Find out if Jeff Anderson participates in any local camps and clinics and latch on to what he has to offer.
Yeah, Jeff is actually one of the instructors for our board and has been very informative. I have heard that he may be hosting a camp, but I will definitely have to get confirmation on that.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 11:27am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocRef View Post
I just worked a couple games in a men's rec league yesterday
First, check your spelling - it's men's wreck league. Second, learn the first rule of officiating. I'm sure BillyMac will fill you in on this.

BTW - welcome to the club.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 11:42am
Do not give a damn!!

I guess it depends on what you think it going to "click." If you are talking about things you can control like your mechanics, rules knowledge or hustle, those things can click earlier if you work hard. But even with all those things our job is subjected to what others think of those things and how you deal with that adversity.

Look, officiating is like anything else in life. Some people are more talented then others. I do not worry about things I did when I was rather young in this thing, but some of the same issues keep coming up. That is the challenge working with different people and dealing with people with different agendas. I do know, every year I understand the game a little more and things slow down.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 11:46am
We don't rent pigs

Officiating is like treading water. It is definitely easier when you know how, but no matter how long you do it, if you relax too much, you will drown.

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Tue Jul 30, 2013 at 11:19pm.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Mr New Guy...

What situations did you miss... this is the key. It is to see patterns of weakness in your game. Did you feel you missed a play? Work on your position and movement. When you believe you missed a foul or decided against it and everyone went nuts. Think about it and replay it. Say to yourself next time there is that level of contact call it. See something boardline tell the player to go easy. Have a hard time talking to a player or coach? Think about what they said and a better response. Unsure if someone traveled. Replay what they did and get in your book or ask another official about the move. Once you have a better knowledge call that next one a travel. Ask every partner, helpful and not helpful, if they have something for you. Even the worst partner might notice a hole in your game. If you are teachable and willing to change you can improve your game at break neck speed. In three years I have gone from never refereeing a game to doing Varsity and college. I believe its due to a passion for officiating and being teachable. Hold to that at your age and anything is possible if you stay humble as you get success.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Multiple levels of Newbie-ness

Also, as you move from level to level you will relive that Newbie feeling. I have been doing varsity for a few years and last year I got the biggest rivalry game in our association - the game didn't settle down for me until the second half.

As others have said, control what you can (rules, mechanics, fitness, etc). When you do that the adjustment to higher levels of competition will become easier.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Get Video

Everyone has given you great advice. I remember feeling after my 2nd yr I was ready for a state championship. I went to a couple of camps and got video of me working with partners and watching myself hit me like a ton of bricks. I had a lot of work left on the floor before I wanted anything to do with an upper level game. Also working with competent partners helps. A lot of games go smoothly because your partner(s) know what they are doing and all you have to worry about is your area. Things can go south in a hurry with the wrong partner. Also remember, your partner is your only friend out there. It is always nice to walk off the court knowing your partner had your back.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 03:14pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Watch and remember, you'll get great advice here.

After all is said and done here, when you do feel comfortable and not like "A Newbie" in your own eyes, let us know what you think the reason is - knowing the rules, game management, experience, etc.

I know for me, it took me several yrs before I felt "comfortable" with the speed, athleticism, and physicality of a HS V or Men's game. I was brought up at the right pace IMO and not thrown in over my head, which can have a negative effect.

PS - welcome to the Forum!