The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 26, 2013, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

I'm missing the ambiguity - if it is immediately a violation, to have stopped a dribble, and then push the ball to the floor - then every bounce pass, after a dribble has ended, would have to be a violation.
Example: A1 in frontcourt, dribbles to the top of the key, stops and stops his dribble. As A2 comes from the wing past A1, A1 pushes the ball to the floor as a pass to A2 - but the official blows his whistle . . . OOOPS - and the coach goes nuts, and all 10 players rightfully are confused (they've practiced that play 100's of times.)
To "start a dribble" is not the same thing as "a dribble" . . .
Old Fri Jul 26, 2013, 11:05pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
I'm missing the ambiguity - if it is immediately a violation, to have stopped a dribble, and then push the ball to the floor - then every bounce pass, after a dribble has ended, would have to be a violation.
Example: A1 in frontcourt, dribbles to the top of the key, stops and stops his dribble. As A2 comes from the wing past A1, A1 pushes the ball to the floor as a pass to A2 - but the official blows his whistle . . . OOOPS - and the coach goes nuts, and all 10 players rightfully are confused (they've practiced that play 100's of times.)
It's a judgment call. The majority of the time, a pass and the start of a dribble don't really look much alike.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jul 27, 2013, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, you're missing it the point. When it IS a dribble, it is so the moment it leaves the hand. When it IS a pass, it is so the moment it leaves the hand. It is just that it is sometimes impossible to tell and we must wait to see what happens to tell what it is.
Old Sat Jul 27, 2013, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Yes, you're missing it the point. When it IS a dribble, it is so the moment it leaves the hand. When it IS a pass, it is so the moment it leaves the hand. It is just that it is sometimes impossible to tell and we must wait to see what happens to tell what it is.
And I see it, it's ALWAYS impossible to tell, and we must wait to see what happens to tell what it is.
Example: A1 ends his dribble, obviously passes the ball towards A2 by pushing the ball to the floor (bounce pass) - ah, but A2 has not paid attention, and has gone the other direction, and A1 sees that the ball is in jeopardy of being stolen, so he hustles to it and is first to touch the ball. It's either a dbl dribble or travel violation - even tho' the "pushing the ball to the floor" was definitely intended to be a pass.
The difficulty comes from taking 4-15-3 as a complete statement, when it only deals with "starting" a dribble, and for a dribble to be executed, it must include the "end" of a dribble, as described in 4-15-4.
For my own understanding, I think of the fact that every year many people start to swim across the English channel, but only those who reach the other side have actually ended the swim, have actually done it.

Last edited by Rob1968; Sat Jul 27, 2013 at 02:56am. Reason: missed an important word
Old Sat Jul 27, 2013, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And I see it, it's ALWAYS impossible to tell, and we must wait to see what happens to tell what it is.
Example: A1 ends his dribble, obviously passes the ball towards A2 by pushing the ball to the floor (bounce pass) - ah, but A2 has not paid attention, and has gone the other direction, and A1 sees that the ball is in jeopardy of being stolen, so he hustles to it and is first to touch the ball. It's either a dbl dribble or travel violation - even tho' the "pushing the ball to the floor" was definitely intended to be a pass.
The difficulty comes from taking 4-15-3 as a complete statement, when it only deals with "starting" a dribble, and for a dribble to be executed, it must include the "end" of a dribble, as described in 4-15-4.
For my own understanding, I think of the fact that every year many people start to swim across the English channel, but only those who reach the other side have actually ended the swim, have actually done it.
So do you think that an official must wait until a player not only starts a new dribble, but ends it as well, to penalize the action as an illegal dribble violation?
That won't be accepted.
Old Sat Jul 27, 2013, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

That is my understanding. I can't, presently, view a dbl dribble call as having much to do with judgement - it is or is not. Is it possible to describe a play that may/may not be called a dbl dribblle violation, based on judgement?
I'm reminded of the old idea that an attempt at goal - shot - had to be defined by whether it hit the goal or not, in order for the shooter to be able to rebound the miss - that goes way back. With the current definitions of when a shot starts, and when it ends, now, a genuine attempt at goal, in the judgement of the official, allows the shooter to rebound a miss, whether or not it hits the goal. (A distinct situation, but the logic has some relevance.)
Old Sat Jul 27, 2013, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Perhaps, this will be of interest in our discussion:
a)A1, having ended his dribble, holds the ball for a few seconds, and then pushes the ball to the floor, and (A) is or (B) is not first to touch it.
b) A1, having ended his dribble, holds the ball for a few seconds, and then fumbles the ball to the floor, and (A) is or (B) is not first to touch it.
Old Sat Jul 27, 2013, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is my understanding. I can't, presently, view a dbl dribble call as having much to do with judgement - it is or is not. Is it possible to describe a play that may/may not be called a dbl dribblle violation, based on judgment?
Remember, in NFHS 9-5 the definition of an illegal dribble begins with the phrase "A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended..." It doesn't say anything about the second dribble ending as well. Granted there is judgment involved if A1 has a teammate near him/her who may be receiving a bounce pass but that's generally a Stevie Wonder-type play: we'll be able to tell 99% of the time whether it's a pass. The other 1% is what we get paid for.

Quote:
a)A1, having ended his dribble, holds the ball for a few seconds, and then pushes the ball to the floor, and (A) is or (B) is not first to touch it.
A = obvious illegal dribble
B = you have to be there and see how the play is developing

Quote:
b) A1, having ended his dribble, holds the ball for a few seconds, and then fumbles the ball to the floor, and (A) is or (B) is not first to touch it.
Remember, you can fumble-dribble-fumble so both plays are legal. In play A, A1 would not be able to dribble again.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Jul 27, 2013, 11:51am
Esteemed Forum Member

Dribble Or A Bounce Pass ???

Quote:
A1, having ended his dribble, holds the ball for a few seconds, and then pushes the ball to the floor, and is not first to touch it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
You have to be there and see how the play is developing.
And I'll wait up to seven minutes and fifty-nine seconds to see how this play develops before I decide to sound my whistle for a "double dribble" violation here. This is a very open ended situation. A lot can happen here: ball touches teammate, ball touches opponent, ball goes out of bounds, team control foul, defensive foul, player excessively swinging elbows, players fighting, coach screaming at officials, and being charged with a technical foul, player getting hurt, player displaces eye glasses that fall onto the court, ball slowly stops bouncing and remains motionless on the floor, a meteorite striking, and destroying, the gymnasium, an earthquake, a terrible flood, locusts, etc.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jul 27, 2013 at 11:59am.
Old Sat Jul 27, 2013, 08:09pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
And I'll wait up to seven minutes and fifty-nine seconds to see how this play develops before I decide to sound my whistle for a "double dribble" violation here. This is a very open ended situation. A lot can happen here: ball touches opponent.......

A1 has used his dribble. He fakes a pass, gives a head fake, then puts the ball on the floor and tries to drive baseline. After the ball hits the floor B1 knocks it out of bounds.

You're going to give it back to A?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jul 27, 2013, 08:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
A1 has used his dribble. He fakes a pass, gives a head fake, then puts the ball on the floor and tries to drive baseline. After the ball hits the floor B1 knocks it out of bounds.

I am.
Old Sat Jul 27, 2013, 09:15pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I am.
You're penalizing the defense for playing good defense by ignoring a violation.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jul 27, 2013, 10:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
You're penalizing the defense for playing good defense by ignoring a violation.
No, I'm penalizing the defense for kicking the ball out of bounds.
Old Sat Jul 27, 2013, 10:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Crystal Basketball ???

Quote:
Until I learn how to read a player's mind, yes I am.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jul 27, 2013 at 10:51pm.
Old Sat Jul 27, 2013, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote: "Remember, you can fumble-dribble-fumble so both plays are legal. In play A, A1 would not be able to dribble again."
I've always understood the "fumble - dribble - fumble" concept to be:
1st fumble - in attempting to catch/control the ball upon receiving it, as in receiving a pass -
2nd fumble - in attempting to end the dribble -
and not after having ended the dribble, successfully, and then fumbling the ball. My understanding of that fumble, and then being 1st to touch the ball, is that would be considered a 2nd, dbl dribble, violation. Indeed, the "Simplified and Illustrated Manual" seems to support that understanding, in the illustration of 4-15-4.
If, after successfully ending a dribble by controlling the ball, a player is allowed to fumble the ball to the floor and recover it, how many times is that allowable?