The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 12:15pm
Working Mom Referee

Post-Game Cordials...

Is it kosher to--after the completion of a competitive game--to make yourself available on the "greeting line" to high-five or shake hands with players and coaches. The reason I ask is because theire is growing trend that after games, the players line up and pass each other by to "brother hug" or "fist bump" as a show of "sportsmanship". However, when a game ends I typically retreat to my seat/chair off the far far side of the court and towel up and rehydrate...then usually some players and a coach will make their way over to say to me "good game ref, you let us play fair". Then I stand and shake they hand and greet them likewise as a show of "sportsmanship"/"cordiality".
So, to keep from seeming "stand off ish" should I just line up in the "greet line" post game and do the same as players?
I certainly do not want to appear aloof---nor do I want to appear ingratiating either.
However, when I see games of tv, at the conclusion the refs are hustling/running off the courst with such urgency and haste as if they are running from a "child support judge".
Any advice is appreciated?

Last edited by Travelling Man; Thu Jul 18, 2013 at 12:19pm.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 12:22pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling Man View Post
So, to keep from seeming "stand off ish" should I just line up in the "greet line" post game and do the same as players?
I certainly do not want to appear aloof---nor do I want to appear ingratiating either.
Depart and go to your area.

IMO, the competitors are displaying good sportsmanship, and you were not one. You are there to provide a fair environment for them to compete. If a player, coach, parent, etc. wants to come over to your area and shake your hand, acknowledge them and say thank you.

This is how I've been taught and it has served me well.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 12:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

NO!!!

Peace
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 12:36pm
I miss being on the floor

The standard protocol would be to get off the floor as soon as that final buzzer rings, especially if the game was contentious.

If you're in a situation where you're doing multiple games in a row, then you might not have a choice. I've also found my partner "supervising" the handshake line, and I've joined him just for unity's sake.

That said, I much prefer to be gone at the final buzzer.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
If you're in a situation where you're doing multiple games in a row, then you might not have a choice.
Even then there's almost always the opportunity to go outside to make a phone call, see a man about a horse, check the schedule board, etc.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 01:34pm
Working Mom Referee

OK then I shall heed the collective wisdom that inheres here and continue with my practice of going away to my side of the personal space---of course being cordial if they approach me first.
I will NOT be supervisiong any greet line---as the players already know how to do that and the coaches have that responsibility.
thanks guys, as a woman ref it 's always a struggle to properly balance cordiality with professionalism
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 01:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

First of all you are not the first female officials. There are many that do the same things as the men. The successful ones just approach the game the same as anyone else and do their job. Your job is to officiate, not be everyone's friend or necessarily nice to everyone. Stop using that as an excuse to not do your job or to want to do something else. Yes there will be some different challenges for you as a female, but not as much as you think. And often many advantageous if you officiate women's or girl's basketball.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

In a scholastic HS game, you are going to want to leave the court immediatly, with your partner(s) at the conclusion on the game so this is not an issue. Lingering around can only get you into trouble, since in a scholastic game you still have jurisdiction over the game until all officials leave the visual confines of the playing area.

It sounds like more of a rec league/youth league issue when you might do several games back to back and you don't have a locker room or other officials area like is standard at the HS level.

Unless your assignor instructs otherwise, I would never participate/supervise the hand shaking line. If I can't get out of the gym right away (as is typical in rec leagues) I just go to the area where my bag is and wait for the next game. If players come find me, I'm polite and shake hands or say thank you/good game/enjoy your summer/etc. But I don't try to make myself available.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 04:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Go Sox ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
In a scholastic HS game, you are going to want to leave the court immediately, with your partner(s) at the conclusion on the game so this is not an issue. Lingering around can only get you into trouble, since in a scholastic game you still have jurisdiction over the game until all officials leave the visual confines of the playing area.
Unless, of course, you officiate in The Bay State, my friendly neighbor to the north. I believe that officials there are required to supervise the handshake line. I also believe that they lack jurisdiction during this time, in other words, no technical fouls, maybe just a report to the state interscholastic athletic association if something goes wrong.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 04:20pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Is it kosher to--after the completion of a competitive game--to make yourself available on the "greeting line" to high-five or shake hands with players and coaches.
Only if you don't mix meat and dairy.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 04:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When They Fly ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Only if you don't mix meat and dairy.
Hey, Mark Padgett, how's your kosher pig's heart doing?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 08:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Hey, Mark Padgett, how's your kosher pig's heart doing?
Actually, not great and I'm having some other medical problems, too. Thanks for asking, though.
Old Fri Jul 19, 2013, 12:55am
Do not give a damn!!

Mark,

I think I can speak for many of us here. Get well soon and you are in our prayers. Hope you get better soon to be around to annoy us some more. We actually like you more then Billy, so please take care of yourself.

Wishing you the best.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 19, 2013, 06:04am
Esteemed Forum Member

Warning From The Surgeon General ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Actually, not great and I'm having some other medical problems, too. Thanks for asking, though.
Sorry to hear that. We're all pulling for you.

"Warning: Humor may be hazardous to your illness." (Ellie Katz)

Old Fri Jul 19, 2013, 08:45am
Official & Member

Quote:
...So, to keep from seeming "stand off ish" should I just line up in the "greet line" post game and do the same as players?
However, when I see games of tv, at the conclusion the refs are hustling/running off the courst with such urgency and haste as if they are running from a "child support judge".
Any advice is appreciated?
Never a good idea to hang around at the end of ANY level game. As easy as it is to have a player or coach come up to you and thank or compliment you, it's equally as easy for a bitter coach or player to come up to you and give you THEIR thoughts on your skill and abilities (or lack of). Then you're in the middle of a confrontation with very little recourse if anything goes really bad.

Forget about appearing aloof...we SHOULD be aloof. It's easier to be impartial that way. Just head to your area...wait for your partner(s)...but get the he!! out of Dodge as quickly as practical.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Fri Jul 19, 2013 at 08:47am.