The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 03:35pm
Working Mom Referee

Clarifications sought: Verticality, Reaching in , High Dribble--anybody help ?

1. A "high dribble" is NOT carrying the ball. But rotating the wrist by dribbler is carrying. When a player is speeding down court and dribbling the ball and it bounces above his waist or shoulder but no wrist pronation on dribble is this legal? Coaches and fans are always screaming 'violation' when they see this, but is it really a violation?

2. "Reaching in" --if the defender does not make contact with hand or arm of opponent and does not impede their progress, then they can reach in all day long and make the dribbler cautious and slower---is this just smart defense?

3. "over the back" is not the same as "on the back". Verticality is legal-on a rebound the player jumps high and veritcal and grabs rebound--no contact is made on the back of other player. legal rebounding and congratulate player on having a good vertical jump that is well-timed yes?

4. "shooter shoots, ball gets stuck wedged betw. rim and backboard"--so team A has put the ball out of play. why doesn't possesion go to team B?
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

1) To me, "carrying" is pretty obvious. If you don't "carry the ball" during a high dribble, then it's not a violation

2) I don't know how many times I've told (mostly rec league) coaches to stop complaining about the other team "reaching". Reaching isn't a foul.

3) There can (and probably will be contact). I look for displacement that is either severe, or creates an advantage.

4) Because no team has team control when the ball gets stuck. The way I think about it that makes sense is: Both teams would be entitled to a rebound if the ball doesn't get stuck. Team A didn't put the ball out of play (the basket is in play). They simply missed a shot. Therefore, they would get equal chance at rebound. So ... Jump ball is fair.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

#1. Even rotating the wrist is not necessarily a violation. The ball must come to rest in the dribbler's hand for there to be a violation. Rotating the hand/wrist might do that, but it might not. It is legal for a dribbler to bump the ball from the bottom, even with the hand facing upwards, as long as the dribbler doesn't "catch it" and lets it hit the ground before touching it again....continuing the dribble.

#2. Generally, yes. No contact, no foul. Simple as that. However, contact with the hand, while it is in contact with the ball, is not a foul. It may feel like a foul to the dribbler (or shooter), but it is, by rule, legal.

#3. Correct...and that grab of the ball might even be well over the opponent. But, as long as they don't jump into the opponent and displace them, there is no foul.

#4. Ball became dead with neither team in control and it wasn't an infraction. Ask yourself this...what did team B do to earn possession?
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 03:54pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Car 54, where are you?

Oh Billy, BillyMac???
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 05:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Wedgie ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling Man View Post
Shooter shoots, ball gets stuck, wedged between rim, and backboard. Team A has put the ball out of play. Why doesn't possession go to team B?
Because it's not a violation to wedge the ball between the rim and the backboard. Unless, of course, this happens during a throwin, in which case it would be a violation, and Team B would gain possession at the spot of the original throwin, but then, of course, again, if it was during a throwin, it wouldn't, or couldn't, be a shot. Have I taken a simple play and made it sufficiently confusing, or do I need to make it more confusing?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jul 17, 2013 at 05:20pm.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 05:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Rang ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Oh Billy, BillyMac???
Palming or carrying is when the ball comes to rest in the player's hand, and the player either travels with the ball, or dribbles a second time. There is no restriction as to how high a player may bounce the ball, provided the ball does not come to rest in a player’s hand. Steps taken during a dribble are not traveling, including several that are sometimes taken when a high dribble takes place. It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble.

Reaching in is not a foul. There must be illegal contact to have a foul. The mere act of reaching in, by itself, is nothing. If illegal contact does occur, it’s probably a holding foul, an illegal use of hands foul, or a hand check foul. When a player, in order to stop the clock, does not make a legitimate play for the ball, holds, pushes, or grabs away from the ball, or uses undue roughness, the foul is an intentional foul.

Over the back is not a foul. There must be illegal contact to have a foul. A taller player may often be able to get a rebound over a shorter player, even if the shorter player has good rebounding position. If the shorter player is displaced, then a pushing foul must be called. A rebounding player, with an inside position, while boxing out, is not allowed to push back or displace an opponent, which is a pushing foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 05:53pm
Working Mom Referee

OK, you all have been so very helpful in this regard.
As a female ref I used to be intimidated by fans shouting "high dribble" and "you better call that reach in". I would stifle my whistle and let the play proceed because I thot there was no violation occuring.
Also, thanks for the insightful comment that said "a foul can occur even if the player who is doing the boxing out shoves his body into a rebounder who has elevated behind him/her".
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 05:57pm
Working Mom Referee

Another question, If I may pick you all's collective brain, is this:
When player A shoots and is airborne, then player b immediately turns their tush to box them out--is this a foul? The shooter must be allowed to land correct? without being impeded---I think this is afoul--am I right or wrong--and is it a player control foul or a free throw awarded type of foul?
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When player A shoots and is airborne, then player b immediately turns their tush to box them out--is this a foul? The shooter must be allowed to land correct? without being impeded---I think this is afoul--am I right or wrong--and is it a player control foul or a free throw awarded type of foul?
It certainly can be a foul but whether it is worth calling depends on the amount of contact. If the shooter hasn't contacted the ground yet at the time of contact, it would be a shooting foul (2 or 3 shots if the shot is missed, 1 if it is made). A PC foul is a foul committed by the shooter (or any player with the ball).
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
4. "shooter shoots, ball gets stuck wedged betw. rim and backboard"--so team A has put the ball out of play. why doesn't possesion go to team B?
A doesn't necessarily get the ball. Use the arrow.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also, thanks for the insightful comment that said "a foul can occur even if the player who is doing the boxing out shoves his body into a rebounder who has elevated behind him/her".
Note that this foul would be charged to the player "boxing out" and moving into and under the airbourne player attempting to grab the rebound.

Quote:
A jumpshooter is NOT entitled to land anywhere he wishes. There is no such rule and people saying such are perpetuating a myth. So what is the rule? The shooter is entitled to return to the same spot on the floor from which he jumped or to land in any spot which was unoccupied by an opponent when he went airbourne. A defender can't move into a new spot AFTER the opponent leaves the floor, but he is permitted to maintain the spot which he had and the offense player is not permitted to come land on him.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 09:38pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
3. "over the back" is not the same as "on the back". Verticality is legal-on a rebound the player jumps high and vertical and grabs rebound--no contact is made on the back of other player. legal rebounding and congratulate player on having a good vertical jump that is well-timed yes?
If the player on the outside can jump and reach over the top of the player on the inside without contact, it doesn't matter if he's vertical or not.

Lonesome Dove