The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 13, 2008, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

High Dribble

If the ball bounces above a players head and dribble - you got anything?

For it to be a carry would your hand need to pause the ball or turn it in some fashion? Or ... in theory it is possible to dribble the ball above your head?
Old Sun Jul 13, 2008, 03:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Another Myth Bites The Dust ...

Palming or carrying is when a player gains an advantage when the ball comes to rest in the player's hand, and the player either travels with the ball, or dribbles a second time. There is no restriction as to how high a player may bounce the ball, provided the ball does not come to rest in a player’s hand. Steps taken during a dribble are not traveling, including several that are sometimes taken when a high dribble takes place. It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble.
Old Sun Jul 13, 2008, 04:01pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Billy - why didn't you just say, Please refer to #8 on my famous list of "misunderstood rules?" In a good mood today?
Old Sun Jul 13, 2008, 05:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I'm So Excited ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
Why didn't you just say, please refer to #8 on my famous list of "Misunderstood Rules?"
Why? As a retired teacher, and a member of my local board's training committee, I always get excited about teaching rookie officials. We never know when a rookie official will join the Forum, or when a rookie official will just read our posts without joining the Forum. These rookies might not know about the "famous" list of "Misunderstood Rules".

Also, I always get excited about a chance to debunk basketball rule myths. I can't wait to type in the title words, "Another Myth Bites The Dust".

Please, it's not "my" list. I've only compiled the list, and I try to keep it updated. The list comes from many Forum members who have contributed their ideas over the past several years.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 11:05am
#thereferee99

Next to the 'phantom travelling violation'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Palming or carrying is when a player gains an advantage when the ball comes to rest in the player's hand, and the player either travels with the ball, or dribbles a second time. There is no restriction as to how high a player may bounce the ball, provided the ball does not come to rest in a player’s hand. Steps taken during a dribble are not traveling, including several that are sometimes taken when a high dribble takes place. It is not possible for a player to travel during a dribble.
...it perplexes me how often I see palming called on a player who loses 'control' of their dribble just enough to have to 'chase' the ball in mid-air with no advantage gained and the ball NOT coming to rest.

But, of course, it is pales in comparison to the amount of times that a traveling violation called on a player who never has player control.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 11:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99
...it perplexes me how often I see palming called on a player who loses 'control' of their dribble just enough to have to 'chase' the ball in mid-air with no advantage gained and the ball NOT coming to rest.

But, of course, it is pales in comparison to the amount of times that a traveling violation called on a player who never has player control.
I just thought I'd highlight the irrelevant part. Advantage is of no consequence when determining a violation.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 11:32am
#thereferee99

Snaq, then check my post about 3 second scrum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I just thought I'd highlight the irrelevant part. Advantage is of no consequence when determining a violation.
... and give me your feedback there too. thanks.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Advantage is of no consequence when determining a most violations.
I fixed your statement....
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 12:02pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Thanks. I considered doing that, but I decided against it. Wouldn't be the first mistake I made.
And with the post I was addressing, it's a no-call but not because of the lack of advantage.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 12:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Agreed.

Maybe 3-seconds, 10 seconds to shoot a FT, and a punched ball with no one around historically may be determined using advantage/disadvantage.

Other than that......
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 12:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
And with the post I was addressing, it's a no-call but not because of the lack of advantage.
Agree with that too.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 02:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Agreed.

Maybe 3-seconds, 10 seconds to shoot a FT, and a punched ball with no one around historically may be determined using advantage/disadvantage.

Other than that......
I'd say this one isn't necessarily advantage, but severity. IOW, if it takes 11 seconds, I'll probably think I was counting too fast and let it go. If it's 16 or 17 seconds in, and the kid is looking at his coach waiting for the steal sign, I'll call it.

I suppose if they have tired players, few reserves, and a smart coach they might try to milk free throws for extra rest time.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 05:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Basketball Or Punchball ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
A punched ball with no one around historically may be determined using advantage/disadvantage.
Guilty. I actually called that this year. I've never seen the play before, and, of course, I've never seen the violation called before, and that says a lot, I've been playing, coaching, or officiating since the late sixties. After the player punched the ball, something from the dark recesses of my brain told me that it was illegal, and I blew my whistle. I immediately regretted it. I was probably the only person in the gymnasium who knew it was illegal. It was, by far, my worst call of the year. Luckily it was in a blowout game.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Guilty. I actually called that this year. I've never seen the play before, and, of course, I've never seen the violation called before, and that says a lot, I've been playing, coaching, or officiating since the late sixties. After the player punched the ball, something from the dark recesses of my brain told me that it was illegal, and I blew my whistle. I immediately regretted it. I was probably the only person in the gymnasium who knew it was illegal. It was, by far, my worst call of the year. Luckily it was in a blowout game.
If that's true, then you need to fix your thinking. Call it just as you would any other violation.
Old Thu Jul 17, 2008, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo
If the ball bounces above a players head and dribble - you got anything?

For it to be a carry would your hand need to pause the ball or turn it in some fashion? Or ... in theory it is possible to dribble the ball above your head?
2007-2008 POE 4B was palming.

Someone else will have to post the text.