The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 11, 2005, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

SAW THIS LATE IN THE REGULAR SEASON IN AN LSU GAME. A FAKES A SHOT AND GETS THE B TO LEAVE HIS FEET. B GOES STRAIGHT UP A JUMPS UNDERNEATH HIM AND THROWS UP A SHOT. OFFICIAL CALLS A FOUL ON B. NO WAY HE WENT STRAIGHT UP CONTACT WAS INITIATED BY A.

OFFICIALS NEED TO DO A BETTER JOB OF BEING CALLING THIS SITIUATION. I KNOW EVERYONE BELEIVES IF HE LEAVES HIS FEET ON A HEAD FAKE HE DESERVES TO BE CALLED FOR A FOUL. BUT HE HAS A RIGHT TO THE SPACE ABOVE HIM.

YOUR THOUGHTS.
Old Fri Mar 11, 2005, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

My thoughts,

Calm down, we can all hear you just fine, no need to yell

Old Fri Mar 11, 2005, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down FANBOY ALERT!

My thoughts - turn off the caps.

My thoughts - how long have you been officiating?
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 12:05am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by RAINMAN

B GOES STRAIGHT UP

NO WAY HE WENT STRAIGHT UP
Make up your mind. Which was it?
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
SAW THIS LATE IN THE REGULAR SEASON IN AN LSU GAME. A FAKES A SHOT AND GETS THE B TO LEAVE HIS FEET. B GOES STRAIGHT UP A JUMPS UNDERNEATH HIM AND THROWS UP A SHOT. OFFICIAL CALLS A FOUL ON B. NO WAY HE WENT STRAIGHT UP CONTACT WAS INITIATED BY A.

OFFICIALS NEED TO DO A BETTER JOB OF BEING CALLING THIS SITIUATION. I KNOW EVERYONE BELEIVES IF HE LEAVES HIS FEET ON A HEAD FAKE HE DESERVES TO BE CALLED FOR A FOUL. BUT HE HAS A RIGHT TO THE SPACE ABOVE HIM.

YOUR THOUGHTS.
I've seen this before in City league with myself on the lead baseline and A fakes a shot from outside the three point line and B leaves his feet jumping straight up,A jumps forward across the three point line initiating the contact. What do we call? No call,player control, or a foul on B? There was contact,is this an advantage/disadvantage issue? I had no call but the trail called a foul on B.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 01:35am
Keeper of the HAMMER

My last official high school game this year, my partner had a great PC call on this play. A1 fakes a three, defender jumps straight up, A1 jumps straight into B1 knocking both to the floor. Easy PC for my partner.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 09:21am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

B GOES STRAIGHT UP

NO WAY HE WENT STRAIGHT UP
Make up your mind. Which was it?
Mark,

I think Dustin's intent was to say that the Team A player did not go straight up, and initiated the contact that caused the official to have a fist.

That's what I gathered when I re-read the post with the suspicion that some English grammar rules were forgotten.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
My position on this scenario is that if the defender does maintain verticality then he can't be guilty of a foul no matter what happens on the part of the offense. The problem is that alot of times when players actually do go straight up, they realize they've been head faked, then start reaching with their hands to try to cover being caught up in the air. Once this happens the foul is pretty evident once contact happens. Also alot of defenders don't jump straight up when defending the 3 point line, but that's just a personal observation.
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 02:05pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Question Has anyone used this tool?

I've done this before when I've been straightlined. Probably a few times per season I rely on this mechanic - all other times I hope to be in the correct position.

I have an offender going to the hoop. I see the defender jump from an obviously specific spot, such as the block. The defender then lands 1 foot further away from the hoop. Plus, there is sufficient body contact with the offense. If the defender wasn't pushed from behind, which I would see, then he must have jumped forward because he landed further ahead. This proves that he did not maintain verticality. Then, with the contact, it's a foul.

Anyone else do that?
Old Sat Mar 12, 2005, 02:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Thumbs up

Great plan, JugglingReferee. In order to do that, though, one would have to actually officiate the defense.