The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 16, 2013, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

A different play.... NCAA Rules

Note: Moved by APG. This was was originally posted in this thread: NBA Ruling ONLY: counting a try that wasn't successful? (Video added)

A1 attempts a 3 at 1 / 2 court. B6 runs off the bench and fouls A1 ( foul is not flagrant or dangerous). It would be considered a regular basketball play if he was one of the five players on the court. Please adminster.......

Immediate thoughts.....

Does B6 get charged with a technical for being 6th man on ct ??

What type of foul are you calling on B6 for contacting A1.

Assuming shot doesn't go in , how many ft throws does A1 get ????

Who gets ball and where ???? ( After ft throws).....

Have fun !!!!!!
Old Thu May 16, 2013, 10:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

I only know Men's rules so this is the best I can do at this time.

I think all you can reasonably call is a Technical fouls. I would award the basket if the ball went in. I guess you could call two Technical fouls, one for the coming onto the floor and another for contacting a player for a dead ball as the player entering the court would make the play dead with a technical.

And with that being the case, I would not give A1 necessarily any shots. I would give any player on A the opportunity to shoot all 4 shots and give the ball at the division line opposite the table to Team A (dead ball contact). B6 would of course be ejected from the game.

Now that is what I would do unless I had somes specific guidence on an interpretation to say otherwise.

Peace
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 06:07am
Courageous When Prudent

In this mess B6 will be assessed at least 1 flagrant T.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

My feeling is that this would have to be assessed at least 2 technical fouls (perhaps one to the team for 6 players on the court and one flagrant T to the bench player making contact?).

If 2 technicals are not assessed, then this tactic could be used to gain an advantage in an end of game situation by a team up by 3 points by having a bench player prevent a 3 point goal as time expires.

Another question, is there any justification to add time to the clock? For example, if the player entered the court with 2 seconds left, but the referee did not initially realize it until the shot/contact with .1 seconds left. Could you reset the clock to 2 seconds since that is when the 5 players on court rule was violated?
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

FED has a specific case play or interp where two Ts are administered.

I'd treat it the same way in NCAA.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
My feeling is that this would have to be assessed at least 2 technical fouls (perhaps one to the team for 6 players on the court and one flagrant T to the bench player making contact?).

If 2 technicals are not assessed, then this tactic could be used to gain an advantage in an end of game situation by a team up by 3 points by having a bench player prevent a 3 point goal as time expires.

Another question, is there any justification to add time to the clock? For example, if the player entered the court with 2 seconds left, but the referee did not initially realize it until the shot/contact with .1 seconds left. Could you reset the clock to 2 seconds since that is when the 5 players on court rule was violated?
Can't add time back.
Old Fri May 17, 2013, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Can't add time back.
That may not be an accurate statement for an NCAA game with a monitor.
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
FED has a specific case play or interp where two Ts are administered.

I'd treat it the same way in NCAA.
+1. I would count the basket if it goes, however no FT"s for the missed shot. Jrut's assessment is also what I would do.
Old Mon May 20, 2013, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I only know Men's rules so this is the best I can do at this time.

I think all you can reasonably call is a Technical fouls. I would award the basket if the ball went in. I guess you could call two Technical fouls, one for the coming onto the floor and another for contacting a player for a dead ball as the player entering the court would make the play dead with a technical.

And with that being the case, I would not give A1 necessarily any shots. I would give any player on A the opportunity to shoot all 4 shots and give the ball at the division line opposite the table to Team A (dead ball contact). B6 would of course be ejected from the game.

Now that is what I would do unless I had somes specific guidence on an interpretation to say otherwise.
Actually, the ball doesn't become dead until the official blows his whistle (6-5.1d). Note that the team member who comes onto the court is bench personnel, not a player/substitute. IMHO, there would be two Ts here on B6, one T for the team member coming on the court without being beckoned and a flagrant T for the unsporting act of making contact with A1. B6 is ejected. Two technicals are charged against the head coach as well. The second is certainly a class A T. It's a class B T for a substitute to enter the court without being beckoned. There isn't a specific reference for bench personnel entering the court without being beckoned. If the first T is considered class A, then the head coach is ejected as well.