The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

I love how it slows down when NCAA and HS are over

Folks,

Just making a funny observation how it slows down on here when NCAA and HS are over, but the NBA playoffs are still going on. I do not watch NBA, I think it's extraordinarily boring. Do you all feel the same, or is the play and reffing that phenomenal to not get any posts?

pfan
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Most of the posts have to do with games we call and since very few of us work in the NBA ...

Plus there are what -- 8 games on any given day now, compared to 8,000 (SWAG) on a Friday night from mid-November to mid-March
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

The NBA is my favorite level of basketball to watch for various reasons.

Still, more people work high school and even college than those that work in the NBA, so it's natural there is more talk during those periods. Plus, if something controversial comes up, you'll find someone posting a thread asking a question or a clip of the play.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon May 06, 2013, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

I cannot watch anything other than the last 5 minutes of an NBA game anymore. And then only if they are close. You said it - boring. Good basketball is sporadic, and happens maybe 3-4 minutes per quarter, and often not all in a row.

I'd rather watch a hockey playoff game than an NBA playoff game ... and I don't like hockey.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
Folks,

Just making a funny observation how it slows down on here when NCAA and HS are over, but the NBA playoffs are still going on. I do not watch NBA, I think it's extraordinarily boring. Do you all feel the same, or is the play and reffing that phenomenal to not get any posts?

pfan
I'm right there with you.

For me, this time of year is all about baseball and the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

I'm also not a big NBA fan.

So what I do instead is I actually go back and thoroughly break down my games from the year. During season I get to spend roughly 30 minutes - 1 hour every night on film, but now I'm doing a 2-3 hour breakdown.

I find that some of the things I thought I "fixed" show up as I'm fixing other things.

And now that I'm done breaking down my own film from last season, I'm asking other local referee's if they got film they would like broken down. I suppose I'm a junkie.
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 02:57pm
This IS My Social Life

I Hate This Time of the Year

If the kind of "slow" that sets in between the end of post-season tournaments and the beginning of summer camps in June had a Facebook page I would not push the "Like" button.

Breaking down film from last year and other related activities is tiding me over.
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 04:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Wouldn't Bet My House, But ...

Spring, and summer, AAU ball will be in full swing in a matter of days. And, man, do I love those AAU coaches. Then, of course, there are those high school summer league games, and in a few states where the "official" high school coach isn't allowed to coach during the off season, we'll get some "parent coaches" pushing their vocal cords to the limits. Then we'll start seeing some posts, and I'll bet a dollar to a donut that a lot of the posts will deal with game management issues. And socks. Don't forget socks. White? Black? Ankle socks? Crew socks? You just gotta love those sock threads.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 07, 2013 at 05:58am.
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 09:56pm
Courageous When Prudent

NBA doesn't have the intentional foul away from ball rule right. It's horrible sitting through that.
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 10:42pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
NBA doesn't have the intentional foul away from ball rule right. It's horrible sitting through that.
How so?

Edit: Ah, you mean Pop's Hack-a-Shaq strategy. It's a legitimate technique!

Last edited by AremRed; Mon May 06, 2013 at 10:46pm.
Old Mon May 06, 2013, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Only in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter or overtime. I understand the sentiment both ways...it's not pretty to watch, but then again, make your free throws and it's not an issue.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue May 07, 2013, 07:09am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Only in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter or overtime. I understand the sentiment both ways...it's not pretty to watch, but then again, make your free throws and it's not an issue.
It's an issue for someone who is watching the game. It is one of the reasons the NBA is not fun for me to watch.

Change the rule and the strategy goes away. I'm not complaining as a player, I'm complaining as a viewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
How so?

Edit: Ah, you mean Pop's Hack-a-Shaq strategy. It's a legitimate technique!
It's a legitimate technique that caused me to turn the channel and I never came back to the game. It's a legitimate reason the NBA's ratings and appeal are not what it used to be.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue May 07, 2013 at 10:10pm.
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 05:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Coincidence ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Only in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter or overtime.
Funny. That's the only part of an NBA game that I watch on television.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)