The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 03, 2013, 12:43pm
big jake

John Cahill Retired

Will be the new head of officials for the Big East or what is left of it! Great guy who will be missed!
Old Fri May 03, 2013, 12:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Yep, old news. He's getting the Catholic conference. No word yet on who's getting the America 12, my vote would be for Reggie Greenwood.

SEC has a lot of candidates in the mix. Don't be surprised if David Jones from the NBA gets that job.

PAC-12 is on the other side of the country, so I haven't heard any rumors about that.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri May 03, 2013 at 12:50pm.
Old Fri May 03, 2013, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Perhaps it is "old news" to you, but the media story was published a mere three hours ago.

John Cahill to supervise officials in 'new' Big East
Raphelle Johnson May 3, 2013 11:09 EDT

The supervisor of officials for the “new” Big East Conference, which will be officially recognized by the NCAA on August 1, will be a face familiar to many fans who have followed the holdovers for years.
That person would be John Cahill, who makes the move from the floor after forty years as a game official. Cahill’s final game was this year’s national title game between Louisville and Michigan, and in the story by Pete Dougherty of the Albany Times-Union Cahill stated that initially had second thoughts in regards to his decision to retire.
“I had second thoughts right after the time I walked off the floor in Atlanta on (that) Monday night,” Cahill said Wednesday. “I knew down deep that there was a possibility — although it was remote at that time — that it could be the last time. I was a little nostalgic about it, but not as nostalgic as I anticipated being. That convinced me that, you know what, it’s the right time.”
With the new position Cahill will have more control over his travel, as he can now pick and choose which games to attend as opposed to working nearly every night as he and many other officials who have become household names have done in recent years.
“I certainly can control my travel,” said Cahill, who missed the final month of the 2011-12 season because of a stress fracture in his leg. “If I go to the airport and it’s snowing, I can turn around and watch it on TV rather than wait all day to get there.”
How physical will play be in the conference, which officially adds Butler, Creighton and Xavier on July 1? That will be an interesting discussion to have in the weeks leading up to the start of the season, especially when considering the history of the Big East.
And Cahill will certainly be an influential figure as the conference looks to develop a “new” identity nationally.
Raphielle also writes for the NBE Basketball Report and can be followed on Twitter at @raphiellej.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...-new-big-east/

Last edited by Nevadaref; Fri May 03, 2013 at 01:09pm.
Old Fri May 03, 2013, 01:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Perhaps it is "old news" to you, but the media story was published a mere three hours ago...
big jake is drinking buddies with Curtis Shaw and John Adams. He should have gave us the inside scoop on this Saturday or Sunday.
Old Fri May 03, 2013, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

My opinion is this is a great choice. He is well-respected and known by those administering and coaching in this conference. He also does things the way that NCAA officiating head John Adams likes as evidenced by his working four of the last five National Championship games.
Considering that fact, I was surprised to learn of his retirement. He certainly has a few more years of quality calling in him, but with injuries and travel he picked this time to stop.
Old Fri May 03, 2013, 01:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
PAC-12 is on the other side of the country, so I haven't heard any rumors about that.
My vote goes to Camron. Don't know if that counts, though.
Old Fri May 03, 2013, 02:01pm
NFHS Official

Cahill is a great choice. The only thing is these conference guys need to get together and figure out what is expected across the board, and be consistent across all conferences.
Old Fri May 03, 2013, 02:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Cahill is a great choice. The only thing is these conference guys need to get together and figure out what is expected across the board, and be consistent across all conferences.
There is already an LLC in place that is supposed to ensure that happens. But in reality it won't.
Old Fri May 03, 2013, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

It is amazing in a nearly 30 year period from 1985 to 2013 how many Big East officials became semi-permanent fixtures at the Final Four: Higgins, Burr, Corbett, Cahill, Valentine.
Old Fri May 03, 2013, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I always laugh when I see that. With the NBA and NCAA so physical these days, it is impossible to have consistency these days.