The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Violation for Voluntarily Running Out of Bounds (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94876-violation-voluntarily-running-out-bounds.html)

rekent Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:39pm

Violation for Voluntarily Running Out of Bounds

How often do you all see/call the violation for running out of bounds?

I saw it 4-5 times in one night going under a screen set near the end line, but was under mandate not to call it. Just wondering how often it actually gets called compared to how often it is seen...

just another ref Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:51pm

I've called it once or twice since the rule change.

JRutledge Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:59pm

I called it once I believe. Maybe twice.

Peace

rekent Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:00am

Have you all only seen it that number of times, or that is just the number of times you have actually called it?

JRutledge Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 891981)
Have you all only seen it that number of times, or that is just the number of times you have actually called it?

Actually very rarely see it. At least not where is is so obvious it should be called IMO.

Peace

just another ref Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:04am

You see it, you call it. Why wouldn't you?

Adam Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:04am

I see it just a couple times a season, really. I've called it once, but it was obvious and an easy sell since the player was in the middle of an interrupted dribble when he did it.

Adam Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 891983)
You see it, you call it. Why wouldn't you?

Because you want to keep progressing, and you were instructed not to call it to the letter of the rule. Same reason you don't call three seconds everytime you see a player in the paint for three seconds.

JRutledge Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 891985)
Because you want to keep progressing, and you were instructed not to call it to the letter of the rule. Same reason you don't call three seconds everytime you see a player in the paint for three seconds.

Threes seconds, traveling, carrying, BI/GT, or any other number of things that are mostly called when they are obvious.

Peace

AremRed Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:19am

I've never called this, nor the "excessive elbows" violation. I just hope I remember to call these when I see them.

just another ref Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 891985)
Because you want to keep progressing, and you were instructed not to call it to the letter of the rule.

I was already taking that concept into account.

Camron Rust Wed Apr 24, 2013 03:02am

I've called it...maybe once every couple of years. I see it a lot more often, maybe once every couple of games, sometimes 2-3 times in the same game. When do I call it? I call it when the person who does it gets an immediate advantage from doing so...like being passed the ball for an open shot when they pop back inbounds on the other side.

BillyMac Wed Apr 24, 2013 05:56am

Hey, Stay Inbounds ...

Once, as the lead, I had a player almost run into me going around a screen. It surprised me, so I figured I'd call the violation the next time down. After a foul, and a switch, my partner was the lead for that team's next possession, and sure enough, the player almost slams into my partner, who calls the violation. We hadn't even talked about the play. The Vulcan mind meld that we did in our pregame carried over into the game.

Raymond Wed Apr 24, 2013 07:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 891978)

I saw it 4-5 times in one night going under a screen set near the end line, but was under mandate not to call it. Just wondering how often it actually gets called compared to how often it is seen...

Well, since the rest of us work where the rule is in force we don't see it as much. If you're in a league where you ignore the violation of course it's going to occur all the time.

There is no way to logically compare our situations with yours.

JetMetFan Wed Apr 24, 2013 08:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 891978)

Just out of curiosity, why were you under a mandate not to call it and who gave the mandate?