The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Violation for Voluntarily Running Out of Bounds (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94876-violation-voluntarily-running-out-bounds.html)

MD Longhorn Wed Apr 24, 2013 09:59am

This was similar to my initial thought... the mandate to not call it is a good part of the reason you're seeing it. Where it gets called, it doesn't happen often.

brainbrian Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:37am

Saw a player step out of bounds to avoid a 3-second call once.

JRutledge Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:45am

I will say it was called in a playoff game that I worked and the same official called it twice. I went back to see if these situations were there on the tape and I could not tell even if or who went out of bounds. And all it did was raise more questions than solve an issue. I have no problem with anyone calling it if it is obvious. If someone just barely steps on the line, I would give that a pass just as I would with someone calling 3 seconds with a player whose heal is slightly on the line. Because I know I am hardly looking that closely at this violations as opposed to some contact or the reasons for the contact. Otherwise I do not see many obvious violations of this rule.

Peace

BillyMac Wed Apr 24, 2013 03:58pm

Pepperidge Farm Remembers ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by brainbrian (Post 892024)
Saw a player step out of bounds to avoid a 3-second call once.

I don't have a citation, but I was taught that that was never a legal tactic for player to avoid a three second violation, and, if three seconds had passed, to just call the three second violation rather than the intentionally going out of bounds violation.

Anybody remember something similar? Anybody got an old citation? Anybody know where my car keys are?

BillyMac Wed Apr 24, 2013 04:02pm

Confused In Connecticut ...

This is from my Misunderstood Basketball Rules list:

"It’s a violation for a player to step out of bounds in an attempt to avoid a three second violation."

Is it a three second violation (assuming three seconds have passed), or is it an intentionally going out of bounds violation, (assuming that three seconds have not passed)?

bob jenkins Wed Apr 24, 2013 04:07pm

It is, or was, in the case book. Did you try looking there?

BillyMac Wed Apr 24, 2013 04:18pm

Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 892059)
It is, or was, in the case book. Did you try looking there?

9.3.3 SITUATION A: A1 receives a pass while in the restricted area of the lane.
A1 passes the ball to A2 outside the three-point line. In order to get the three-second
count stopped, A1 steps directly out of bounds under A's basket. RULING:
A1 is charged with a violation for leaving the court for an unauthorized reason.(9-7)

Was it always a leaving the court for an unauthorized reason violation, or was it ever a three second violation?

MD Longhorn Wed Apr 24, 2013 04:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 892025)
If someone just barely steps on the line, I would give that a pass

Seems to me that if someone just barely steps on the line, they've not violated anything anyway. They did not "leave the court for unauthorized reasons".

rockyroad Wed Apr 24, 2013 04:41pm

I have called it once...as L in the wide angle position, kid ran behind me going from corner to corner. Pretty much had to call that one.

Nevadaref Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:53am

I see it two or three times a season and I call it two or three times a season.
I believe in calling the game according to the rules.

BillyMac Thu Apr 25, 2013 06:40am

James Naismith Is Rolling Over In His Grave, And It's A Traveling Violation ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 892085)

What a novel idea. Do you think it will catch on?

BayStateRef Thu Apr 25, 2013 07:41am

Quote:

Ditto. I called it twice this season.

Adam Thu Apr 25, 2013 09:03am

Quote:

I'm just curious, did you call it that often when it was penalized by a technical foul?

#olderthanilook Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:05pm

On more than one occassion in several games this past season, I've verbally told players to stay on the court as they ran the baseline (avoiding screens).

JRutledge Thu Apr 25, 2013 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 892066)
Seems to me that if someone just barely steps on the line, they've not violated anything anyway. They did not "leave the court for unauthorized reasons".

I do agree. I just think that is not technically how it is interpreted. But then again I could be wrong.

Peace