The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 23, 2013, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Runnig the Baseline question

Watching a replay of the D3 boys title game in California this afternoon and late in the game Team A (team that gave up the basket)was trying to inbound after a basket and called timeout due to not being able to get the ball in. During the said timeout the announcer (who was Barry Tompkins formerly of ESPN
Old Tue Apr 23, 2013, 01:03am
Do not give a damn!!

What are you actually asking?

I think I know but not totally sure. If the question is does the team lose the privilege of running the end line after a timeout, the answer is no.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 23, 2013, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What are you actually asking?

I think I know but not totally sure. If the question is does the team lose the privilege of running the end line after a timeout, the answer is no.

Peace
You answered it. That is what I thought so the broadcast crew got it wrong.(But how many HS games do they see a year).

P.S. On the ensuing inbounds play the team trying to inbound got called for a 5 second call(no Time Outs avaliable as they were out)
Old Tue Apr 23, 2013, 01:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Well the rule is the same at the NCAA level. The NBA level moves the ball to the 28 foot mark in the last couple of minutes I believe. APG can tell us if the rule is different if a team loses the privilege after a basket, but something tells me that is not the case.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 23, 2013, 05:59am
Official Forum Member

To paulsonj72, you never finished your sentence in your original post.

In the NBA, a team would retain any privileges they had before calling a timeout. Under two minutes, in the 4th or OT, they would have the option to advance it if they choose to (assuming this is after a made basket).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Apr 23, 2013, 07:29am
This IS My Social Life

"No Soup for You!"

Not that I want to be known as a "Rules Phraseology Nazi" or anything, but I figured I'll stick my neck out and mention that, in response to the original thread title, basketball players don't "run the baseline." Baseball and softball players do. Basketball players can, however, "run the endline", so to speak.
Now I'll get back to my study of "calling jump balls", "coaches calling time outs", "ups and downs" and "steps" violations, and the "rotations" 3-man crews need to do after a fouls are called.

Last edited by Freddy; Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 07:31am.
Old Tue Apr 23, 2013, 08:00am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Not that I want to be known as a "Rules Phraseology Nazi" or anything, but I figured I'll stick my neck out and mention that, in response to the original thread title, basketball players don't "run the baseline." Baseball and softball players do. Basketball players can, however, "run the endline", so to speak.
Now I'll get back to my study of "calling jump balls", "coaches calling time outs", "ups and downs" and "steps" violations, and the "rotations" 3-man crews need to do after a fouls are called.
My pet peeve: "inbound the ball" aka "throw-in"
Old Tue Apr 23, 2013, 10:59am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
My pet peeve: "inbound the ball" aka "throw-in"
My pet peeve: "Get away from me before I call the police" aka "Oh - so you think I'm a hot mom? Let's go back to your place".
Old Tue Apr 23, 2013, 04:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Unclogged Drain For You ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Basketball players don't "run the baseline." Baseball and softball players do. Basketball players can, however, "run the endline".
Don't be a plumber. Wait? I'm being told ... Who? Never mind.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Apr 23, 2013 at 04:18pm.