Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 06:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

Séance ??? Ouija Board ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Channeling my inner JR in his memory.
Jurassic Referee wouldn't be hesitant about commenting on this play. How about it guys, and gals? Are goaltending and basket interference mutually exclusive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... Mutually exclusive. Over the years our local interpreters have added the statement "outside the cylinder" to the goaltending definition, but that statement is not in the NFHS rulebook. So if you have a situation where a player touches the ball during a field-goal try, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level, while the ball is in the cylinder, and the ball has the possibility of entering the basket in flight, then, by strict interpretation of the written definition, the official can call either a goaltending violation, or a basket interference violation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Just for you, Billy, I went and researched this. I remembered learning GT as having to be outside of the imaginary cylinder when I began officiating.

Sure enough, the definition of goaltending did contain this requirement through the 2003-04 season. For some unknown reason the rule was edited without comment or announcement for the 2004-05 season and that part of the definition was dropped.

We can now have a debate about whether the former NFHS editor changed the rule with the new/current text or if it was just an oversight and the old language still applies.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just for you, Billy, I went and researched this. I remembered learning GT as having to be outside of the imaginary cylinder when I began officiating.

Sure enough, the definition of goaltending did contain this requirement through the 2003-04 season. For some unknown reason the rule was edited without comment or announcement for the 2004-05 season and that part of the definition was dropped.

We can now have a debate about whether the former NFHS editor changed the rule with the new/current text or if it was just an oversight and the old language still applies.
Not sure it matter much as it remains a violation even if they overlap. FOr them to overlap, it can only be a try since GT is only on a try...so all the non-try cases can only be BI.

The only point where it really makes a difference is if it is on a FT. And that may be the reason it changed. Was it changed at the same time as the penalty for interfering with a FT was changed? BI on a FT used to be a T but was changed to a violation leaving only GT a FT as a T. That change made sense given that it really wouldn't be fair to get a T for rebounding a FT just a bit early but interfering with it before it hits does deserve a T. The change in wording on the definition of GT would keep interfering with a FT as GT until it hit.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 12:48pm.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 04:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Now That's What I Call Research ...

Quote:
Just for you, Billy, I went and researched this. I remembered learning GT as having to be outside of the imaginary cylinder when I began officiating. Sure enough, the definition of goaltending did contain this requirement through the 2003-04 season. For some unknown reason the rule was edited without comment or announcement for the 2004-05 season and that part of the definition was dropped.
Thanks Nevadaref. Because this was done with no comment, no announcement, or no accompanying rule change, I'm sure that it was an oversight. Like the "captain's line up" rule that was mistakenly dropped for several years, and then had to be put back in the rule book.

2002-03 NFHS 4-22: Goaltending occurs when a player touches the ball during a field-goal try or tap while: a) the ball is in downward flight. b) the entire ball is above the level of the basket ring. c) the ball has the possibility of entering the basket in flight. d) the ball is not touching an imaginary cylinder which has the basket ring as it's lower base.

2012-13 NFHS 4-22: Goaltending occurs when a player touches the ball during a field-goal try or tap while it is in its downward flight entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket in flight.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Apr 17, 2013 at 06:17am.