Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 13, 2013, 10:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

GT for the win

Stupid play.
Old Sun Apr 14, 2013, 04:22am
Official Forum Member

Have watched it three times and still am not certain that his action is illegal.
I see the right hand in the net, through the ring, which then withdraws prior to the arrival of the ball on after the bounce. This is followed by his left hand swatting the ball away after it contacts the ring for the 2nd time. I can't tell if the ball was still within the cylinder or not.

Not sure about NBA terminology, but for NCAA/NFHS the decision would fall under the BI rule, not GT, because the bouncing ball was on the way up, not down, when touched.
Old Sun Apr 14, 2013, 09:27am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Have watched it three times and still am not certain that his action is illegal.
I see the right hand in the net, through the ring, which then withdraws prior to the arrival of the ball on after the bounce. This is followed by his left hand swatting the ball away after it contacts the ring for the 2nd time. I can't tell if the ball was still within the cylinder or not.

Not sure about NBA terminology, but for NCAA/NFHS the decision would fall under the BI rule, not GT, because the bouncing ball was on the way up, not down, when touched.
Pretty sure going up or down isnt what determines whether it is BI or GT in NCAA/NFHS. You might want to check the definitions again
Old Sun Apr 14, 2013, 09:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

Au Contraire, Mon Frère ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Pretty sure going up or down isn't what determines whether it is BI or GT NFHS.
NFHS: The ball has to be on its downward flight in order to be goaltending.

Goaltending when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level, and has the possibility of entering the basket.

Basket interference: A player cannot touch the ball, ring, or net while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder.

When it comes to defeating basketball rule myths, well, I'll just let the Marvelettes tell you, as only they can:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 14, 2013 at 09:54am.
Old Sun Apr 14, 2013, 09:51am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

NFHS: The ball has to be on its downward flight in order to be goaltending.

Goaltending when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level, and has the possibility of entering the basket.

Basket interference: A player cannot touch the ball, ring, or net while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. A player cannot touch the ball if it is in the imaginary cylinder.
Thanks BillyMac, looks to me like the determining factor between BI or GT is whether or not the ball is in the cylinder. Once in the cylinder, even if moving downward, the call would be BI, not GT.
Old Sun Apr 14, 2013, 10:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

Try It On For Size ...

Quote:
Looks to me like the determining factor between BI or GT is whether or not the ball is in the cylinder.
NFHS: That's only one factor, there are others. For example, for goaltending, it has to be a try, or a tap. For basket interference, it can be a try, or a tap, or something else, like an inbounds pass that ends up on the rim, or a ball that ricochets off a player's shoulder that ends up on the rim.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 14, 2013 at 12:17pm.
Old Sun Apr 14, 2013, 11:09am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Yes, the call would be BI in fed rules, but NBA rules differ here, and I think it's GT.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 12:17am
Back from the DL

Aren't there times when it could be BI or GT?
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Not according to the definitions as they are mutually exclusive at the NCAA/NFHS levels.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks BillyMac, looks to me like the determining factor between BI or GT is whether or not the ball is in the cylinder. Once in the cylinder, even if moving downward, the call would be BI, not GT.
In the cylinder is ONE of the determining factors. Another requirement of GT is downward flight. Billy pointed out that GT also requires a try for goal.

Since I can't tell from the video clip angle whether the ball is within the cylinder, I cited the upward motion of the ball at the time of player contact as the definitive reason that this couldn't be GT under NFHS/NCAA rules.

Now if one could be positive that the ball was withing the cylinder, then one could cite that.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 06:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Outside The Cylinder ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Not according to the definitions as they are mutually exclusive at the NFHS level.
Nevadaref: I've been taught the same thing, mutually exclusive. Over the years our local interpreters have added the statement "outside the cylinder" to the goaltending definition, but that statement is not in the NFHS rulebook. So if you have a situation where a player touches the ball during a field-goal try, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level, while the ball is in the cylinder, and the ball has the possibility of entering the basket in flight, then, by strict interpretation of the written definition, the official can call either a goaltending violation, or a basket interference violation.

I would love to see any citations that include the statement "outside the cylinder" in the definition of goaltending, but without such, bainsey might have a point, and not the point on his head.

NFHS 4-22: Goaltending occurs when a player touches the ball during a field-goal try or tap
while it is in its downward flight entirely above the basket ring level and has the
possibility of entering the basket in flight.

NFHS 4-6: Basket interference occurs when a player:
ART. 1 Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while
the ball is on or within either basket.
ART. 2 Touches the ball while any part of the ball is within the imaginary
cylinder which has the basket ring as its lower base.

Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

I'm a bit surprised that some don't see this as an obvious call, in slo mo at least. Several angles show the ball to be in the cylinder when it's tapped by O'Neal. If it was one angle, I'd get it, 1 angle doesn't show enough - but when every single angle shows it inside the cylinder, it's rather obvious isn't it?

I will grant that it very likely was NOT going to go in on it's own - but that's not the criteria. In the cylinder when he touches it - that's the criteria.

And I agree with Adam... stupid play.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I'm a bit surprised that some don't see this as an obvious call, in slo mo at least. Several angles show the ball to be in the cylinder when it's tapped by O'Neal. If it was one angle, I'd get it, 1 angle doesn't show enough - but when every single angle shows it inside the cylinder, it's rather obvious isn't it?

I will grant that it very likely was NOT going to go in on it's own - but that's not the criteria. In the cylinder when he touches it - that's the criteria.

And I agree with Adam... stupid play.
The only problem is that the NBA has, as I was recently told, an extra caveat that allows the ball to be freely played if it is coming off the rim, even if it is still in the cylinder. So much easier and consistent to judge if it is in or is not in.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 12:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The only problem is that the NBA has, as I was recently told, an extra caveat that allows the ball to be freely played if it is coming off the rim, even if it is still in the cylinder. So much easier and consistent to judge if it is in or is not in.
No, if it's on the rim and coming off it can be played. If it is not touching the rim then the ball cannot be touched if any part is in the cylinder.

Joe Borgia explained the rule on "Make the Call" a couple weeks ago and showed examples of each.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2013, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
No, if it's on the rim and coming off it can be played. If it is not touching the rim then the ball cannot be touched if any part is in the cylinder.

Joe Borgia explained the rule on "Make the Call" a couple weeks ago and showed examples of each.
That makes it even more difficult to call and more likely to be inconsistent.