The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   ejection or T? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94782-ejection-t.html)

Bad Zebra Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35am

Let me say this about that...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 891102)
I'm beginning to rethink wanting to ref AAU this summer, hmm...

Quote:

Originally Posted by letemplay (Post 891103)
You should be ok if you feel it is a strong and well run AAU tourney or program, ... Guys in stripes take the heat for a lot of this when it is out of their control.

In my years of experience, the biggest horror shows occur during AAU tournaments. Even when there is strong organization AND security, there always seems to be incidents. I've come to the point where I've decided it's just not worth the money or additional game experience. You can say it will definitely test your game management skills, but I've even seen incidents that actually threaten officials physically.

Maybe it's an unfair generalization on my part, but AAU ball has come to equal garbage in my book. Not so much for the talent or level of skill/play, but all the nonsense that takes place outside the lines.

Adam Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 891110)
In my years of experience, the biggest horror shows occur during AAU tournaments. Even when there is strong organization AND security, there always seems to be incidents. I've come to the point where I've decided it's just not worth the money or additional game experience. You can say it will definitely test your game management skills, but I've even seen incidents that actually threaten officials physically.

Maybe it's an unfair generalization on my part, but AAU ball has come to equal garbage in my book. Not so much for the talent or level of skill/play, but all the nonsense that takes place outside the lines.

I think this really depends. We don't have AAU here, but we have a similar organization. Some refs won't work it, I will, but I also don't put up with much from coaches. I'll talk to them and remind them of the expectations. It's worked well for me. The ones who recognize me have been doing it long enough that it's not an issue, though.

Bad Zebra Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 891111)
I think this really depends. We don't have AAU here, but we have a similar organization. Some refs won't work it, I will, but I also don't put up with much from coaches. I'll talk to them and remind them of the expectations. It's worked well for me. The ones who recognize me have been doing it long enough that it's not an issue, though.

My experience generally involves national tournaments that include mostly out of town teams. Virutally NONE of the coaches are local and thus have zero relationships with the officials...and the behavior shows it.

deecee Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 891111)

I agree, and the same goes for fans. I had an incident with a team (whose players I had seen year and and year out for several years) and they had a new coach. He starts jawing and I ask him to watch his tone and keep the chatter to basketball. Well I guess he felt his manliness was being challenged so nevertheless he gets T #1. 5 seconds later I'm giving him T #2. As soon as I give the second T a mom from the stands who I recognize because her girls have played for many years yells out, "I warned you before the game this ref ain't gonna put up with your crap."

I was smiling ear to ear on the inside.

Adam Tue Apr 16, 2013 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 891119)
I agree, and the same goes for fans. I had an incident with a team (whose players I had seen year and and year out for several years) and they had a new coach. He starts jawing and I ask him to watch his tone and keep the chatter to basketball. Well I guess he felt his manliness was being challenged so nevertheless he gets T #1. 5 seconds later I'm giving him T #2. As soon as I give the second T a mom from the stands who I recognize because her girls have played for many years yells out, "I warned you before the game this ref ain't gonna put up with your crap."

I was smiling ear to ear on the inside.

Yep, and the coaches who recognize me from HS (and even MS) season ball are better behaved (for at least two reasons), with the standard exceptions that also apply to in-season ball. Some parents are starting to recognize me as well (the ones with older kids in HS ball and younger ones in youth ball).

Rooster Tue Apr 16, 2013 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 891099)
Ha its programming speak. "!=" means not equal to. So what I am saying is that "x equals y" but "y doesn't equal x".

And sometimes equals would be "==" not just "=".

Thank you.

BillyMac Tue Apr 16, 2013 04:39pm

Please Excuse BillyMac, Signed, BillyMac's Mother ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 891099)
"!=" means not equal to. So what I am saying is that "x equals y" but "y doesn't equal x". And sometimes equals would be "==" not just "=".

I didn't realize that we would be studying math on the Official Forum. Will this be on the exam?

BillyMac Tue Apr 16, 2013 04:41pm

Is Anything In Texas Little ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 891087)
My not so little corner of Southeast Texas.

So? The good people that live in the southeastern corner of Texas actually call it Southeast Texas? It's not called Houstonland? Interesting. Very interesting.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 890852)
No. Sometimes we need some fanfare. Too bad the NFHS doesn't give us the "heave ho" signal, like they have in baseball.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xWMvunX3zGk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Billy:

Thanks for this video. It has been around for a couple of years now and it never fails to bring a smile to my face.

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Wed Apr 17, 2013 06:32am

Go Get 'Em Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 891207)
It never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Having a moderator say to Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., "You Are Gone", after one of his lengthy posts, as he goes down memory lane, now, that would bring a smile to my face.

Welpe Wed Apr 17, 2013 08:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 891188)
So? The good people that live in the southeastern corner of Texas actually call it Southeast Texas? It's not called Houstonland? Interesting. Very interesting.

Well there's Houston, which covers a pretty large swath of area and then there's Southeast Texas which includes areas outside of Houston.