The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Exception for wedding bands? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94766-exception-wedding-bands.html)

Welpe Thu Apr 11, 2013 03:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 890509)
What if the wedding ring was taped over? Would you ask to inspect underneath the tape? :D

Sorry.....

Don't be a plum....nevermind.

Adam Thu Apr 11, 2013 04:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 890509)
What if the wedding ring was taped over? Would you ask to inspect underneath the tape? :D

Sorry.....

Now you're just plumbing.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Apr 11, 2013 05:01pm

NFHS and NCAA Rules are quite specific: No jewelry for the players!

That said, game officials are a different animal. Until the late 1980's, game officials could wear only a wedding ring (nothing was said about engagement rings), then without any editorial comment, the CCA Manual stated that not even a wedding ring could be worn by the game officials.

Therefore, an official can wear a wedding ring while officiating H.S. game but cannot wear a wedding ring for a college game.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. Since I had been officiating for a number of years before I married my wonderful wife, I have always removed my H.S. (then my college ring) when officiating and I even removed my Engineer's Ring when officiating, and I still remove my wedding ring when officiating.

zebraman Thu Apr 11, 2013 06:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 890529)
NFHS and NCAA Rules are quite specific: No jewelry for the players!

Therefore, an official can wear a wedding ring while officiating H.S. game but cannot wear a wedding ring for a college game.

I have always removed my wedding band when officiating. I don't feel fair about asking players to not wear any jewelry and then keeping mine on.

Adam Thu Apr 11, 2013 06:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebraman (Post 890540)
I have always removed my wedding band when officiating. I don't feel fair about asking players to not wear any jewelry and then keeping mine on.

I don't. I'm not playing defense and making contact with the players. If I did take it off, I'd be the only one doing it.

Mark Padgett Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebraman (Post 890540)
I have always removed my wedding band when officiating.

I have always removed my wedding band when officiating depending on the status of the hot moms in the bleachers. :rolleyes:

Texas Aggie Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:16pm

This happened years ago in a game I was the R in. I did the spill about jewelry and said, "look, nothing on us..." and immediately noticed my partner had a wedding ring on. I just noted, "but...if you guys are married, I'll let you get away with a wedding ring like he has." All 4 guys there chuckled and we moved on.

I've rarely encountered jewelry, and I don't think I've ever seen a ring on a player.

zebraman Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 890552)
I have always removed my wedding band when officiating depending on the status of the hot moms in the bleachers. :rolleyes:

Another excellent reason. :)

JRutledge Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebraman (Post 890558)
Another excellent reason. :)

I do not think you have that problem there Z. ;)

Peace

zebraman Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 890560)
I do not think you have that problem there Z. ;)

Peace

Ring or no ring, I am girl repellant.:eek:

JRutledge Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebraman (Post 890561)
Ring or no ring, I am girl repellant.:eek:

Come on now, we are FB friends. You cannot pull that BS on me. :D

Peace

BillyMac Fri Apr 12, 2013 06:37am

Lucky Stiff ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 890556)
I've rarely encountered jewelry, and I don't think I've ever seen a ring on a player.

Then you've never worked mens recreation games.

Raymond Fri Apr 12, 2013 06:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 890541)
I don't. I'm not playing defense and making contact with the players. If I did take it off, I'd be the only one doing it.

I always take mine off and stick it in my left pocket. Don't know why. Think I just don't want anybody distracted by it because I always notice other officials' rings.

Rich Fri Apr 12, 2013 07:31am

I take mine off and hide it in my bag. Always have. Do it for all the sports I work.

OKREF Fri Apr 12, 2013 09:22am

Last summer at a camp, an evaluater told me we should not wear any jewelry. The book says no jewelry allowed. Those were his words not mine. I have always worn mine.