The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Exception for wedding bands? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94766-exception-wedding-bands.html)

Raymond Fri Apr 12, 2013 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 890581)
Last summer at a camp, an evaluater told me we should not wear any jewelry. The book says no jewelry allowed. Those were his words not mine. I have always worn mine.

Which book? Rule book or manual?

VaTerp Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:50am

My wedding band is too tight and a pain to take on and off so I wear it on the court.

Nobody has ever said anything at the HS level and I have not done enough above that to really comment. I trying to work college ball so I'll just have to get it resized if it's an issue at that level.

Adam Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 890603)
My wedding band is too tight and a pain to take on and off so I wear it on the court.

Nobody has ever said anything at the HS level and I have not done enough above that to really comment. I trying to work college ball so I'll just have to get it resized if it's an issue at that level.

I had the same problem with fit until this year. Amazing how easily it spins now that I've lost 25 pounds.

rockyroad Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 890607)
I had the same problem with fit until this year. Amazing how easily it spins now that I've lost 25 pounds.

Aha!

Here I was thinking I should get my ring resized...again.

VaTerp Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:00pm

I made the mistake of having my wife with me when it got sized down less than a month after my wedding. Then jamming my finger playing basketball. It's been too tight ever since (almost 7 years now).

grunewar Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:12pm

War story....

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 890603)

About 15 yrs ago I slipped on some ice at my house, fell, and dislocated my ring finger. In order to x-ray and repair my finger, the hospital had to take a little saw and cut my ring off.

Now, I have a wedding band that is easily removable.........under the right circumstances.

Not that I've ever removed it! "Yes, dear....... Yes, dear..... Yes, dear....." She's behind me as I'm typing! ;)

OKREF Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 890583)
Which book? Rule book or manual?

I don't for sure. I didn't ask, and I just assumed he meant the rule book.

SWMOzebra Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 890529)
... the CCA Manual states that not even a wedding ring could be worn by the game officials.

I've simply gotten into the habit of removing my wedding ring for all levels of play. When I'm the R for a college game, I request the U1 and U2 do the same in compliance with the women's CCA manual. I have had more than one person tell me, "Forget it, I'm not taking it off." I generally just shrug my shoulders and move on to the pre-game.

mj Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:23pm

I wear mine while officiating. For me it's a little tribute to my wife who never complains about how much I'm away from the house officiating all seasons.

kk13 Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj (Post 890627)
I wear mine while officiating. For me it's a little tribute to my wife who never complains about how much I'm away from the house officiating all seasons.

Amen, brother!

rockyroad Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWMOzebra (Post 890626)
I've simply gotten into the habit of removing my wedding ring for all levels of play. When I'm the R for a college game, I request the U1 and U2 do the same in compliance with the women's CCA manual. I have had more than one person tell me, "Forget it, I'm not taking it off." I generally just shrug my shoulders and move on to the pre-game.

Why would you care if your partner(s) wear their wedding rings or not?

If You asked me that, I honestly think I would start laughing thinking that you were joking. And then I would show you that I can't take it off.

Freddy Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:57pm

I used to take mine off prior to games, then my wife always chided me, " You put that thing back in your nose.“
Then, after just about fileting my finger getting it caught on a valve at work, I don't even wear it anymore. Neither does my wife cuz the diamond looks like it is about to come off.
Not that we are a couple of free spirit libertines or anything...

MD Longhorn Fri Apr 12, 2013 01:00pm

5 sports. Levels from extreme kiddy ball to college. I have NEVER taken off my wedding ring for a game, and it's never even come up, much less become an issue.

Mark Padgett Fri Apr 12, 2013 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaTerp (Post 890618)
I made the mistake of having my wife with me when it got sized down less than a month after my wedding.

Should have taken your girlfriend. :cool:

VaTerp Fri Apr 12, 2013 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 890638)
Should have taken your girlfriend. :cool:

From my view this may be the most amusing post I've seen you make.