The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (4) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Just because the C can make a call does not mean the L cannot make a call. That sounds like a cop out to me on many levels. Even in the NCAA Men's side where they say the L takes these calls it does not mean that the other officials ignore a foul. They only talk about the L taking the call if there is a double whistle, not swallow your whistle. And the L has to anticipate there is something going to happen.

Peace
Rut, I agree with you too. The final foul was the C's primary and I'm guessing she didn't have a whistle because she really couldn't see the contact. Secondary is the L and we're told to wait a beat to give the C a chance but we're also supposed to anticipate what our partner can't see. I'm guessing the L held off because there was no way - in his mind - the C couldn't see the contact. Thankfully, he got it.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
And I'll say this, out of the crew Steratore is only one in the clips I saw who wasn't "bad".

He ran a long distance to at least address the taunting situation that the Lead should have T'd up. He had the best view of the flop at 16.0 seconds and correctly no-called it. I think he was the one who addressed the kick ball on the throw-in and put the correct time back on the clock. He called the foul on Louisville with 9 seconds left. And, though late and tentative, he's the only one who put a whistle on Griner foul with 2 second left.

But this might be a case where everyone goes down with the ship.
IMHO, Steratore was the absolutely WORST official on the floor. Forget the fact that this game was WAY too physical and bordered on being out of control for large stretches of the game....

Let's be specific:
1) Steratore DID NOT issue a T when the UL player scored the layup and taunted Greiner.
2) Steratore DID NOT call the PC on Baylor late in the game (as the L, Barlow was foreced to come and get it).
3) Steratore DID NOT assess a T to the Baylor HC after the late PC foul. He was the C and was clearly in a position to penalize the Baylor coach in the exact same way the UL coach was penalized after complaining about a PC foul at approx. 2:00 left in the game.
4) To his credit, he DID make the final foul call of the game w/ under :03 remaining, but clearly DID NOT want to make the call as he "double clutched" his signal and waited until the play finished, the ball hit the ground out of bounds, started to bounce up in the air, and THEN sheepishly blew his whistle for the foul.

This game is the perfect example of the mantra that: "99% of the problems in a game occur as the result of not blowing the whistle enough, rather than too much". Overall, this crew performed poorly for virtually the entire game; and Steratore had the worst performance of all.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 03:48pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
IMHO, Steratore was the absolutely WORST official on the floor. Forget the fact that this game was WAY too physical and bordered on being out of control for large stretches of the game....

Let's be specific:
1) Steratore DID NOT issue a T when the UL player scored the layup and taunted Greiner.
2) Steratore DID NOT call the PC on Baylor late in the game (as the L, Barlow was foreced to come and get it).
3) Steratore DID NOT assess a T to the Baylor HC after the late PC foul. He was the C and was clearly in a position to penalize the Baylor coach in the exact same way the UL coach was penalized after complaining about a PC foul at approx. 2:00 left in the game.
4) To his credit, he DID make the final foul call of the game w/ under :03 remaining, but clearly DID NOT want to make the call as he "double clutched" his signal and waited until the play finished, the ball hit the ground out of bounds, started to bounce up in the air, and THEN sheepishly blew his whistle for the foul.

This game is the perfect example of the mantra that: "99% of the problems in a game occur as the result of not blowing the whistle enough, rather than too much". Overall, this crew performed poorly for virtually the entire game; and Steratore had the worst performance of all.
I really don't anyone of them was really worse than the other.

1. I don't believe he was the one that was the one right there. Didn't he come in from elsewhere to seperate them?

2. It wasn't a PC, it was a gigantic flop.

3. Any of the 3 could have T'd her up. If I am the lead, or the trail and I see this I am coming in to get it.

4. Late or not, the right call was made. We see late whistles all the time, how many times have you seen a guy wait to see if the shot goes in, and then blow the whistle. The thing that looked the worst was the double clutch.

Last edited by OKREF; Mon Apr 01, 2013 at 03:50pm.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 03:50pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Let's be specific:

1. Not sure which official was L and which was C on that play, but that failure falls on all three. Steratore was not alone in the middle of the players, I do remember that.
This is not evidence that he was the worst, as they all missed it.
2. That was a bad call, he was right to pass on it.
3. Again, this falls on all of them. That tirade was seen by my grandmother in Des Moines, and she wasn't even watching the game.
4. He made a crew saving call. Sure, he double pumped on it as he was, I think, anticipating a double whistle from the C. His late call and double pump looked bad, but he made the call. You can't use this as evidence he was the worst official out there because the primary official missed it first and he bailed her out.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1) Steratore DID NOT issue a T
2) Steratore DID NOT call the PC on Baylor late in the game
3) Steratore DID NOT assess a T to the Baylor HC
4) To his credit, he DID make the final foul call of the game .
Two points you fail to see. FOUR wrong calls, in this game, doesn't even get you on the radar of bad officials - his partners were in the double digits. Of the four you mention, 1 was a GOOD no-call, 2 could/should have been gotten by partners, and the one you give to his credit is actually related to the worst call he made (at least, the MANNER in which it was made).

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I really don't anyone of them was really worse than the other.

1. I don't believe he was the one that was the one right there. Didn't he come in from elsewhere to seperate them?
Steratore was the C during this transition play. Not only did he SEE the UL player get off the ground and get in Greiner's face...he sprinted from his C position apporx. 20ft to separate the two players. His whole reason for getting between the two players was because he saw what was happening and did not assess the T.

He witnessed the ENTIRE post foul interaction! This is one of the my primary pieces of evidence that he was a reluctant participant in the entire game. Rather than effectively officiate and control the game, he recoiled. This game was played at 1 or 2 "notches" above his level.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 04:25pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Steratore was the C during this transition play. Not only did he SEE the UL player get off the ground and get in Greiner's face...he sprinted from his C position apporx. 20ft to separate the two players. His whole reason for getting between the two players was because he saw what was happening and did not assess the T.

He witnessed the ENTIRE post foul interaction! This is one of the my primary pieces of evidence that he was a reluctant participant in the entire game. Rather than effectively officiate and control the game, he recoiled. This game was played at 1 or 2 "notches" above his level.
And again, none of the officials in this game get more blame than the others for missing that call. The L was right there on the call as well, and she didn't get it either.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

By the way...

I do plan to get the relevant clips from this game posted. Hopefully I will be able to get a decent internet stream from ESPN360 sometime in the next millenium.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

On the last transition drive to the basket I sure would have liked to have had the C show a little more hustle to get good position. Once BG got beat past mid court, it was obvious where the play was going.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 06:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
On the last transition drive to the basket I sure would have liked to have had the C show a little more hustle to get good position. Once BG got beat past mid court, it was obvious where the play was going.
How about a quick rotation from the lead?
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
How about a quick rotation from the lead?
No. I think the L was where they needed to be. If it had been a transition post up maybe but not a transition play like this one. MAYBE close down some, but that's splitting hairs IMO.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 09:51pm
In Time Out

How was the game officiated in regards to Griner. It seems there are a lot of complaints even from non Baylor fans.
Listen to RG3 people!!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...r-baylor-loss/
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 10:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutantducky View Post
How was the game officiated in regards to Griner. It seems there are a lot of complaints even from non Baylor fans.
Listen to RG3 people!!!

RGIII’s Twitter rant over Baylor women’s loss
Not reading the article. But Griner was popped in the face on one play and no foul was called and another time (or maybe in the same sequence) a Louisville player was swinger her arms wildly (air punches) in the direction of Griner.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 10:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Not reading the article. But Griner was popped in the face on one play and no foul was called and another time (or maybe in the same sequence) a Louisville player was swinger her arms wildly (air punches) in the direction of Griner.
I also saw a lot of sequences where Griner was elbowed and nothing appeared to be called. I was wondering if the officials knew that she would be the focus of the game?

Peace
Old Tue Apr 02, 2013, 12:42am
In Time Out

Something I try to watch out for because I noticed it was a weakness of mine, is the handling of the bigs. Yes, there will be more contact and some physical play should be allowed. But I found I was letting too much of it go and somehow getting blinders on-- maybe "oh they are good and big so they can handle themselves"
Perhaps the refs did that for the Baylor game? It seems she got hit more than she should have.