Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 10:23am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
The problem is in most cases were are not talking about a second. We are talking about .1 or .2, not a full second. The rule should be that if the officials have knowledge that the clock failed to stop, or failed to start properly then they can review the play.

Basketball is a game of human error. This takes all level of human error out of the game.
You would be wrong. In the Michigan-Kansas game they added more than a second (around 1.2 or 1.3) to the end of the game where Kansas had the opportunity to win the game. Kansas was out of timeouts and that was not the first situation where that took place. I know people love to suggest things with hyperbole, but they have added more than a second in most situations just in this tournament alone.

Quote:
As for the comment it is their game, and they can get the rules. That is only partially true. When the schools are charging what they charge for tickets to the game, and the NCAA charges what they are charging for tickets to the post-season, the game becomes everyone's game, which entitles everyone to an opinion. The simple fact is the NCAA is the most hypocritical organization on Earth.
Says who? If you pay to go to their games or watch their games, not sure what you are talking about. If you do not like it, do not watch or go to games. And the minute time is not put on the clock or a coach loses a game because of this situation, then nothing is going to change. I do think that many decisions are made because of public concern, but this is not one of them that is going to make much difference.

Quote:
To use another example from recent times.

The NCAA is very strict on the contact a coach can have with a potential student athlete, or a student athlete enrolled at another school who desires to transfer. At the same time you have a coach who has signed a 10 year contract extension that gets pulled away from his employer after another school contacts him without any permission from his employer. Anywhere else this is a major violation of contract law, but in the NCAA it is simply business as usual.
I do not even know what this has to do with anything. The Presidents decide what is OK or not OK. Rules like this are not based off of morals, they are based off of things to have a fair playing field. If anything that whole idea of trying to do that creates other problems. And it is not related to anything we are discussing about a playing rule.

Quote:
The NCAA does not give one rats rear end about integrity, they care about the $$$$$$ and that is it. This timing rule isn't about making sure the ruling is correct, it's about building interest in the last seconds of the game. If they have to review the play, which seems to happen every game, it helps build drama for the last few seconds.

The simple fact is the NCAA, the coaches and the television networks are all so corrupted by the $$$$ that they have forgotten what real basketball is, a game of emotion with human error involved.
Again, who cares? I certainly do not when it comes to this discussion right now.

Quote:
One final thing. Why is it that they can't review something really important like who the ball touched out of bounds off, but can review if the clock operator failed to stop it on the exact 1/10th of a second. A missed OOB call is much more a factor late in a game than the extra .1 second ends up being.
OK, it is important. It is important because the minute that something happens (and it has) with relationship to the clock and someone is not given the right time or the right time does not end up on the clock near the end of the game, ESPN will loop that play and YouTube will loop that play until they get tired of talking about it. Then they will list the situation in the Top 10 worst officiating mistakes in history and tell everyone how the "wrong" team advanced and won the title. Please, stop it with the hyperbole and exaggeration. And people are already complaining about something that is safety based and now you want to add another review and people will complain when that review takes several minutes and a team has time to discuss a play without a single timeout left. Yep, let us do that.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You would be wrong. In the Michigan-Kansas game they added more than a second (around 1.2 or 1.3) to the end of the game where Kansas had the opportunity to win the game. Kansas was out of timeouts and that was not the first situation where that took place. I know people love to suggest things with hyperbole, but they have added more than a second in most situations just in this tournament alone.

Says who? If you pay to go to their games or watch their games, not sure what you are talking about. If you do not like it, do not watch or go to games. And the minute time is not put on the clock or a coach loses a game because of this situation, then nothing is going to change. I do think that many decisions are made because of public concern, but this is not one of them that is going to make much difference.

I do not even know what this has to do with anything. The Presidents decide what is OK or not OK. Rules like this are not based off of morals, they are based off of things to have a fair playing field. If anything that whole idea of trying to do that creates other problems. And it is not related to anything we are discussing about a playing rule.

Again, who cares? I certainly do not when it comes to this discussion right now.

OK, it is important. It is important because the minute that something happens (and it has) with relationship to the clock and someone is not given the right time or the right time does not end up on the clock near the end of the game, ESPN will loop that play and YouTube will loop that play until they get tired of talking about it. Then they will list the situation in the Top 10 worst officiating mistakes in history and tell everyone how the "wrong" team advanced and won the title. Please, stop it with the hyperbole and exaggeration. And people are already complaining about something that is safety based and now you want to add another review and people will complain when that review takes several minutes and a team has time to discuss a play without a single timeout left. Yep, let us do that.

Peace
We are simply going to have to agree to disagree then. Personally I find the arrogance you are showing with the I'm right and you must be wrong sickening and am done discussing this with you because nothing pisses me off more than dealing with blowhards like yourself. Have a good day.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Is this a rhetorical question? You'd getting a better answer if you called the local coach's show. As has been stated, coaches and ADs (and conference commissioners) make up the entirety of the rules committee. Most, if not all, of us here have no way to be privy to the "why" of these rules decisions.
BTW: I am actually a college official (in a different sport) and know exactly how the rules are set. This was a discussion about what was right and wrong with the rules. Giving a team the benefit of an extra time out because of a human error that is simply the reaction time of a human is taking the human element out of the game. Why do we even employee a clock operator to work the clock, there is technology available to stop the clock when it needs to be stopped and start the clock when it needs to be started. Maybe we should just use that technology instead of having a human clock operator.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 05:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
We are simply going to have to agree to disagree then. Personally I find the arrogance you are showing with the I'm right and you must be wrong sickening and am done discussing this with you because nothing pisses me off more than dealing with blowhards like yourself. Have a good day.
I really do not give a crap if you think I am right. You came here and gave an opinion and I came here and gave an opinion. If you do not want to hear my opinion or anyone else's, then take your little ball and go home. No one asked you to post here or anywhere else. And I am right about who creates the rules, because that is the coaches. I am right if they find the situation to be a problem they will change it. If they do not find it a problem it will stay the same. And I seriously doubt much is going to change in these areas. They might address some things, but I doubt it will be drastic in nature. If it does change then so be it, but honestly if you did not want to hear other's opinions then you know where you can go.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
While I often disagree with Rut, I think this is exactly opposite. If there is an arrogant blowhard between the two of you, it isn't Rut.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2013, 07:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

This thread was doomed from the start, methinks.

-closed-