The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Miami/Illinois held ball video request

Around 14:45 in the second half, there is a scrum on the floor for a loose ball. The Illinois player 'creates' a held ball after jumping on the Miami player and grabbing his forearm. Could someone explain how that is a held ball and not a foul? Maybe the video clip in slow motion will show something I missed.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

There seems to be a real reluctance, at all levels, to call fouls in scramble situations.

Can't remember which game it was last night, but late in the game a player got control of a loose ball on the floor; a defender was directly behind him and reached over/around, hitting him in the head in the process. L, who was maybe eight feet away and looking right at it, ignored the contact and called a held ball.

Yes we want to let the guys play, and nobody wants a cheap or soft foul when multiple players are hustling for the ball. But you gotta get the obvious ones.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 10:08pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
There seems to be a real reluctance, at all levels, to call fouls in scramble situations.

Can't remember which game it was last night, but late in the game a player got control of a loose ball on the floor; a defender was directly behind him and reached over/around, hitting him in the head in the process. L, who was maybe eight feet away and looking right at it, ignored the contact and called a held ball.

Yes we want to let the guys play, and nobody wants a cheap or soft foul when multiple players are hustling for the ball. But you gotta get the obvious ones.
I think it was Clark from Ohio State that got mugged...and I remember thinking "Why the heck aren't these guys at least calling the felonies"? Seems to be a theme throughout the tournament. Maybe it was a point of emphasis for everyone...let em play on loose balls? Or maybe it's an NCAA philosophy (like not calling the spin move?) Any college guys here care to comment?

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 10:12pm.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Really bad missed OOB call late in this one. The L asked for help, the C made the (incorrect) call.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

I understand you want to let them play...

I agree about letting them play and fight for the loose ball as long as both teams have the same advantage. On this play, it doesn't appear the Illinois player goes for the ball at all.

There was a play in the first half of the Duke/Creighton game where the Creighton player was receiving a lob pass on the end line and the Duke player completely hacked him across both arms and the ball went out of bounds. There didn't appear to be any contact with the ball and it was an obvious foul but the call was only out of bounds and the ball back to Creighton. I understand making this call on a borderline foul but this one was far from borderline and not ticky-tack by any means. Like you said, call the obvious.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILRef80 View Post
Really bad missed OOB call late in this one. The L asked for help, the C made the (incorrect) call.
It looked like the correct call to me, in slow-mo from C's angle. Very tough call
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortmoney View Post
It looked like the correct call to me, in slow-mo from C's angle. Very tough call
Really? Replays afterward showed quite clearly that a Miami player tapped it out, without much help from anybody else
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortmoney View Post
Come on. It was clearly off Miami. Just calling it what it was. They missed it. It happens.

I'm surprised the L hadn't rotated on the play. If he had, he may not have needed help in the first place.

Last edited by ILRef80; Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 11:13pm.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 07:37am
Courageous When Prudent

Held ball after "jumping on" the Larkin?

That's what happened?

I just saw the video and the Illini fell over the top of Larkin after Larking dived at his feet for the ball. That's a long way from "jumping on".

And the OOB call was most definitely wrong.