LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 01:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
Heels above the RA = Standing in the RA
Rule 4-56

Section 56. Restricted Area
The restricted area is defined as the area bounded by the outer edge of the restricted area arc, which has a 3-foot radius measured from the center of the basket and extending to the face of the backboard (See court diagram in Rule

1). A secondary defender is considered to be in the restricted area when any part of either foot is in or above this area.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
For the record this is a RA foul or close to the RA foul. The issue is whether the OSU player Craft was heal was on or over the RA.
Nope, those amount to the same. The issue is whether his heel was over or completely beyond/outside of the plane of the arc. I thought that you worked college men's games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
His heel was definitely over the RA but was not touching the line. Not sure is that matters or not.
See below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
Heels above the RA = Standing in the RA
Correct.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 01:54pm.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

The restricted area is defined as the area bounded by the outer edge of the restricted area arc, which has a 3-foot radius measured from the center of the basket and extending to the face of the backboard (See court diagram in Rule 1). A secondary defender is considered to be in the restricted area when any part of either foot is in or above this area.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Rule 4-56

The restricted area is defined as the area bounded by the outer edge of the restricted area arc, which has a 3-foot radius measured from the center of the basket and extending to the face of the backboard (See court diagram in Rule

1). A secondary defender is considered to be in the restricted area when any part of either foot is in or above this area.

Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The restricted area is defined as the area bounded by the outer edge of the restricted area arc, which has a 3-foot radius measured from the center of the basket and extending to the face of the backboard (See court diagram in Rule 1). A secondary defender is considered to be in the restricted area when any part of either foot is in or above this area.
Thanks fellas - wow, basically opposite to the FIBA rule:

On any penetration play situation into the no-charge semi-circle area a contact caused by an airborne offensive player with a defensive player inside the no-charge semi-circle shall not be called as an offensive foul, unless the offensive player is illegally using his hands, arms, legs or body, when
• the offensive player is in control of the ball whilst airborne, and
• he attempts a shot for a field goal or passes off the ball, and
• the defensive player has both feet inside the no-charge semi-circle area.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 01:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Nope, those amount to the same. This issue is whether his heel was over beyond/outside of the plane of the arc. I thought that you worked college men's games.
Huh?

I was commenting to give whomever would post the video to know why this play should be reviewed and what play was called. It was an issue of the RA, not whether the call was correct. In your effort to "prove someone wrong" I was not even commenting on whether the call was correct. I do work NCAA ball and did know that it was possible this call could have been right or wrong based on if the heal or foot was actually over the RA. It was close and in the commentary after the game there were better views and replay to show how close this play actually was.

I would also suggest if possible that they use some of the footage after the game to show how the heal might have been related to the RA. It does appear that the call "technically" was missed.

There was also conversation with John Adams about the play and he was not convinced that the Craft had his foot over the line. It was really close and harder in full speed.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 02:02pm.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Adams on TV right now - not saying whether the official missed the call or not. TV replay shows foot above (though not touching) the line. Pretty fine distinction to be making at full speed under those circumstances. Yikes

And Rut....it's H - E - E - L not H - E - A - L
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 02:04pm
NFHS Official

Adams was doing everything he could to protect his guy, which is right. His heel was over the line, which puts him in the RA. My question is this, they stop the game all the time for video review, why isn't this reviewable?
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
Adams on TV right now - not saying whether the official missed the call or not. TV replay shows foot above (though not touching) the line. Pretty fine distinction to be making at full speed under those circumstances. Yikes

And Rut....it's H - E - E - L not H - E - A - L
Actually his first comment about it in the interview was that the heel was over the line and the incorrect call was made. Later, near the end of the interview, after a stupid question by Smith, he said he wasn't convinced that the heel WAS over the line. So he both agreed and disagreed.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Adams was doing everything he could to protect his guy, which is right. His heel was over the line, which puts him in the RA. My question is this, they stop the game all the time for video review, why isn't this reviewable?
This would be a reviewable play in the NBA in the final two minutes of the 4th and all of OT.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

One question I have. The defensive player is clearly not set before the offensive player has initiated his shot. The offensive player has to be given a chance to change directions to avoid the contact. He is not. You can clearly see that the defensive player is moving into position as the offensive player is beginning his jump into the air.

It should not matter if he is in the restricted area or not, it should be a blocking foul, no?

Quote:
More men’s officiating guidance

The Playing Rules Oversight Panel also reviewed, as an informational item, rules committee discussions about officiating in the men’s game.

Committee members believe that charge/block calls in some cases were not made correctly, sometimes giving the defense an advantage.

To help address that circumstance, the committee approved guidelines to help better administer these rules:

Before the offensive player (with the ball) becomes airborne, the defender must have two feet on the floor, be facing the opponent and be stationary to draw a charge. Otherwise, it should be a blocking foul.
Secondary defenders (help defenders) moving forward or to the side are also in violation and those should be blocking fouls.
Contact that is “through the chest” is not de facto proof of a charge. The rule in its entirety must be considered before determining a foul.
In some cases, it appears a defender is being rewarded solely for being outside the arc, without considering the other aspects of the rules.
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...t-surface+rule

Last edited by NewYorker; Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 02:17pm.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

I do not understand the big deal about this restricted area controversy. Was the secondary defender in the restricted area? Probably. But even if it were reviewable, the call should not have been overturned because the evidence was not indisputable. That being said, as Jay Bilas has said, the restricted area should be at NBA dimensions.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker View Post
One question I have. The defensive player is clearly not set before the offensive player has initiated his shot. The offensive player has to be given a chance to change directions to avoid the contact. He is not. You can clearly see that the defensive player is moving into position as the offensive player is beginning his jump into the air.

It should not matter if he is in the restricted area or not, it should be a blocking foul, no?

PROP approves basketball court-surface rule - NCAA.org
The rule says a defender has to have a legal position before the offensive player is airborne...not before he initiated his shot. Also, a defender is not required to give time or distance to a player in control of the ball.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 02:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Not true. Nothing in the rules says anything about being allowed to change direction. The only issue is the defender in LGP or if he maintained it before the shooter went airborne. I think that reference you are making is an NBA distinction and even then I have heard NBA officials treat the plays the same at that level and the NCAA level.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

PROP approves basketball court-surface rule - NCAA.org
Beginning to jump would equate to the upward movement criterion of the NBA rules. However at the NCAA level the defender has until the offensive player becomes airborne, which means both feet no longer in contact with the floor. So watch It again and judge it by NCAA rules to Determine this aspect of the play.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

The ra discussion wasn't the issue, wasn't craft way late getting there? Shooter was airborne before he obtained Lgp imo