The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 08:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Read Rut's comment that I quoted. I read it that he is saying that he hasn't seen a video on here where it is clear that two officials have two different signals that should result in a blarge. I guess if D1 officials aren't going to swallow their pride and administer the blarge like they should(Like my video in that link), then they sure aren't going to do it when the block signal is only done half way.

After reading his comment about 10 more times he may be saying that no one ever suggests that partial signals equate to a full signal. I'm not really sure.
What you bolded in his post does not resemble what you are attributing to him in this post.
Old Sun Mar 24, 2013, 09:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Read Rut's comment that I quoted. I read it that he is saying that he hasn't seen a video on here where it is clear that two officials have two different signals that should result in a blarge. I guess if D1 officials aren't going to swallow their pride and administer the blarge like they should(Like my video in that link), then they sure aren't going to do it when the block signal is only done half way.

After reading his comment about 10 more times he may be saying that no one ever suggests that partial signals equate to a full signal. I'm not really sure.
That is not what I said. That is not what I said at all.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

I wasn't sure what you were meaning after reading it several times.

The video in that thread I linked to is still relevant: Is that a blarge or not? In that original thread, no one really addressed it other than "How did they administer the blarge?" and a couple of us replied "They didn't, they ignored it".
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 12:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I wasn't sure what you were meaning after reading it several times.

The video in that thread I linked to is still relevant: Is that a blarge or not? In that original thread, no one really addressed it other than "How did they administer the blarge?" and a couple of us replied "They didn't, they ignored it".
Your video should have been administered as a blarge in NCAA-Mens basketball. Whether or not it was so administered is not clear from the video.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Your video should have been administered as a blarge in NCAA-Mens basketball. Whether or not it was so administered is not clear from the video.
It was administered as a blocking foul. I watched the entire game.

I'll just be really honest for a second: I hear about 2-3 situations a year in high school basketball where a blarge should be administered. When I ask what was done on the court, you know what I hear? "Oh.....we/they got together and decided it was a block" (Or charge, doesn't matter). It seems like D1 officials take the same approach, or they don't get together at all, they just assume no one knows what really happened and how it is supposed to be administered. Part of me believes that most officials don't want to just swallow their pride and handle the situation how it is supposed to be handled, so instead they take the path of least resistance and hope no one calls them on it.

Last edited by zm1283; Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 12:37pm.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 12:38pm
NFHS Official

This would all be avoided if they used correct mechanics, and not go dierctly into the PC signal or Block signal. One arm up with a closed fist, then if you have a double whistle, who's got the call, that would have been pregamed. I know in my corner of Rome the Lead takes the call on all double whistles.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 12:40pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
What it boils down to is that the NCAA has declared that once a conflicting call has been made known by showing what you have, you can''t cancel one of them. They didn't say you have to completely show it, just that it be shown. If you know what he had, it was shown.

There was a great example of it being done right at around the 15min mark of Butler/Marq. The C merely raised his fist and nothing more while the L took the call. The C may or may not have had something different but he didn't show any indication of what he had and it was over. That is how it should be done. Show "nothing".
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
This would all be avoided if they used correct mechanics, and not go dierctly into the PC signal or Block signal. One arm up with a closed fist, then if you have a double whistle, who's got the call, that would have been pregamed. I know in my corner of Rome the Lead takes the call on all double whistles.
Exactly what I was saying.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 12:40pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Yep, and we pregame this all the time too. It still happens.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 01:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
It was administered as a blocking foul. I watched the entire game.

I'll just be really honest for a second: I hear about 2-3 situations a year in high school basketball where a blarge should be administered. When I ask what was done on the court, you know what I hear? "Oh.....we/they got together and decided it was a block" (Or charge, doesn't matter). It seems like D1 officials take the same approach, or they don't get together at all, they just assume no one knows what really happened and how it is supposed to be administered. Part of me believes that most officials don't want to just swallow their pride and handle the situation how it is supposed to be handled, so instead they take the path of least resistance and hope no one calls them on it.
When I attend NCAA-Men's camps and clinics we are told to ajudicate Blarges properly. And I have seen it done so in D1 games. I've had one blarge, in a D3 game with a guy who works in the D-League. We had no qualms about how to handle the situation. Of course I can't speak for everybody.

NCAA-Women handle the play by defering to the primary official on the play.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 02:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
When I attend NCAA-Men's camps and clinics we are told to ajudicate Blarges properly. And I have seen it done so in D1 games. I've had one blarge, in a D3 game with a guy who works in the D-League. We had no qualms about how to handle the situation. Of course I can't speak for everybody.

NCAA-Women handle the play by defering to the primary official on the play.
I have never had a blarge in a college game. Only had a about 3 over my career in HS games only. And usually it is because someone has not recognizing that someone else has a whistle.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 25, 2013, 04:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What Double Whistle ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Blarge ... only had a about 3 over my career in HS games. And usually it is because someone has not recognized that someone else has a whistle.
I've never had a blarge, but I've come close a few times, usually in a very loud gymnasium, where I don't hear my partner's whistle, he doesn't hear mine, and one, or both of us, are trying to sell a call. Knock on wood.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)