The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Gonzaga / Southern video (Added) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94445-gonzaga-southern-video-added.html)

Rich Thu Mar 21, 2013 05:38pm

Gonzaga / Southern video (Added)

2:41, 2nd half. Not a blarge, but...

NewNCref Thu Mar 21, 2013 05:41pm

Definitely not a fan of the Ts mechanic here. Almost looked like he waved the L off.

SNIPERBBB Thu Mar 21, 2013 05:42pm

Cringed on that one...

stiffler3492 Thu Mar 21, 2013 05:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewNCref (Post 885871)
Definitely not a fan of the Ts mechanic here. Almost looked like he waved the L off.

He pretty much did.

MOofficial Thu Mar 21, 2013 05:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 885870)
2:41, 2nd half. Not a blarge, but...

My question is so when does it become a blarge? He obviously wasn't pulling the TV Teddy straight up mechanic with both his fist in the air. He obviously was signaling a block while his partner was waving him off to call a charge.

At what point during your signaling are you committed to it being called? I've had this question before and never really had a concrete answer.

Judtech Thu Mar 21, 2013 05:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOofficial (Post 885875)
My question is so when does it become a blarge? He obviously wasn't pulling the TV Teddy straight up mechanic with both his fist in the air. He obviously was signaling a block while his partner was waving him off to call a charge.

At what point during your signaling are you committed to it being called? I've had this question before and never really had a concrete answer.

Exactly. It was obvious to God, Mother, Country and the other official that he was coming out with a block. He had a whistle and a preliminary. That's why I have always been told not to give a preliminary.
I agree about how it was handled on the court. Perfect time to huddle and talk it out and make sure everyone is on the same page.

Rich Thu Mar 21, 2013 06:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOofficial (Post 885875)

Well, I was kind of joking that it wasn't a blarge because the trail hadn't signaled anything to that point...

BillyMac Thu Mar 21, 2013 06:37pm

Whistle While You Work ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 885879)
That's why I have always been told not to give a preliminary.

Two whistles, in the paint, agree 100%. That's what is taught here in my little corner of Connecticut.

Judtech Thu Mar 21, 2013 06:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 885883)
Two whistles, in the paint, agree 100%. That's what is taught here in my little corner of Connecticut.

Is there a BIG corner of Connecticut?:D

OKREF Thu Mar 21, 2013 06:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 885889)
Is there a BIG corner of Connecticut?:D

I thought Connecticut was a corner?

MOofficial Thu Mar 21, 2013 06:49pm

Still trying to think of when it becomes an actual official sign of a block?

I guess whenever they get together and someone says "we f'd up"

Bad Zebra Thu Mar 21, 2013 07:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOofficial (Post 885892)
I guess whenever they get together and someone says "we f'd up"

My bet is that "someone" will be the assignor/evaluator. Tidy it up any way you want...in the end, it was a blarge.

BillyMac Fri Mar 22, 2013 06:30am

The Land Of Steady Habits ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 885889)
Is there a BIG corner of Connecticut?

Northing's big in Connecticut (It's the direct opposite of Texas). I'm surprised that we were allowed to be a state. I guess the the Territory of Connecticut didn't quite sound correct to President Benjamin Franklin (He's a dead president, right?).

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 885890)
I thought Connecticut was a corner?

Correct. Connecticut is New England's little corner. Wait? New England's Little Corner? I've got to call a trademark attorney.

HokiePaul Fri Mar 22, 2013 07:15am

I saw this on TV in real time, but I haven't seen a replay/slow motion. However, my initial thought on the play was that it looked to be a pretty clear "block".

I'm also a new official and not too familiar with the details of 3-man (just finished my whole first season doing JV - 2 man) ... but it also seemed to me that this call should have been the Lead's primary, and the lead also appeared to have a better angle. Is this how others saw it? Why would the lead defer to the trail here?

twocentsworth Fri Mar 22, 2013 08:43am

At least the Trail, who "stole" this call from Lead, got it right: Player Control foul!