The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   time out during bounce to free thrower (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94440-time-out-during-bounce-free-thrower.html)

Adam Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref3808 (Post 886012)
OK, maybe a post that could have been better expressed. I'm simply saying that after I release the ball to the shooter there isn't a lot of time elapsed before it's in his hand/at his/her disposal. Not much time there to hear the request, look over and respond to it.

If trail, usually facing the table/bench area, sees it and grants the TO then fine.

What we're saying is you don't need time for all that. You only need time to hear it. If you hear it before the player catches the ball, but you verify it as he's catching it (or even after), you can blow your whistle (respond to it) after the shooter has it. We do this all the time with timeout requests.

Coach calls timeout just before the defense gets their hands on the ball and ties it up. You give him the timeout because it happened before the held ball.

Coach calls timeout just before his shooter releases a try. You blow the whistle while the shot is in the air.

Coach calls timeout just before his player releases a pass. You blow the whistle just as the defender catches the pass and starts running down court.

This play is no different.

OKREF Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 886034)
What we're saying is you don't need time for all that. You only need time to hear it. If you hear it before the player catches the ball, but you verify it as he's catching it (or even after), you can blow your whistle (respond to it) after the shooter has it. We do this all the time with timeout requests.

Coach calls timeout just before the defense gets their hands on the ball and ties it up. You give him the timeout because it happened before the held ball.

Coach calls timeout just before his shooter releases a try. You blow the whistle while the shot is in the air.

Coach calls timeout just before his player releases a pass. You blow the whistle just as the defender catches the pass and starts running down court.

This play is no different.

Just because it was requested, doesn't mean it is granted. I may or may not grant a time out in these situations, depending on when I heard the request, verified if needed, and checked the status of the ball.

Adam Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 886037)
Just because it was requested, doesn't mean it is granted. I may or may not grant a time out in these situations, depending on when I heard the request, verified if needed, and checked the status of the ball.

If I hear it when it's allowed to be granted, I'm granting it regardless of what happens between that moment and when I blow my whistle.

I really don't know any officials who do it differently.

MD Longhorn Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:44pm

Quote:

Truly, it should ONLY matter when you heard it.

Camron Rust Fri Mar 22, 2013 02:31pm

Quote:

Is it no longer a foul if you don't blow the whistle while the contact is still occurring?

Rich Fri Mar 22, 2013 02:33pm

Quote:

If you're taking a lot of time to do these things, you need to increase your awareness and recognition skills, IMO.

OKREF Fri Mar 22, 2013 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 886061)
If you're taking a lot of time to do these things, you need to increase your awareness and recognition skills, IMO.

I don't take a long time, and don't always have to check status of ball, or look to see who called it. I know there are times when a time out is coming and I am aware of them.

MD Longhorn Fri Mar 22, 2013 03:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKREF (Post 886067)
I don't take a long time, and don't always have to check status of ball, or look to see who called it. I know there are times when a time out is coming and I am aware of them.

I think you completely missed his point. The amount of time you take is irrelevant.

Rich Fri Mar 22, 2013 03:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 886069)
I think you completely missed his point. The amount of time you take is irrelevant.

Oh, no. Not this again.... :D