Official Forum Member

...and Camron with geometry
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 04:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Repeating Decimal Rational Number ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
The new 2.6666666 point shot.
Is this a 2013-14 change? I thought that the rule changes didn't come out until April?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 04:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Inverse Square Law ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
... degree to which someone must be accurate increases with the square of the distance from the basket.
I'm certain that this will be on the test.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Not sure I entirely agree with that.

Even with perfect form, distance degrades accuracy. The farther from the basket a player is, there is a smaller and smaller set of trajectories x forces that will even have a chance of going in. Inside, the successful trajectories and forces are more plentiful. You have two independent factors diminishing the probability of a make....distances and defensive pressure. Those curves will certainly cross at some point where the pressure exceeds the effect of distance but I don't think it is always true that and open shot (at any distance) is better than an interior shot, even if highly contested.

Now, if you were referring to an uncontested 12-15' jump shot, I might agree, but not necessarily at 20' or 25'.
My fault assuming you can shoot the distance of open jump shot without changing to faulty mechanics to gain power and sacrifice accuracy. This is the real issue. Because we can't shoot accurately with strength at range until years into players development for success, strategy and quality practice the number of reps (hours of practice/game situations) in finishing on the interior is just so much greater then long shots people get better at them. The same way I'm better at eating cereal then I am playing the piano. Could I be as good or better yes. Once I had the capability I would have to spend a ridiculous amount of time on playing piano though. Got my mastery of eating early

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
I disagree somewhat with your statement Cam that a longer shot has a lower chance of going in than one of a shorter distance. I think the 3 point range, lets say 20-23', has become so practiced and the necessary arc, as you say, has been perfected my many, that it IS a more makeable shot. A player that is highly proficient at this distance might struggle with the release and arc necessary for a 10' from the short corner, for instance. Of course if this player practiced this shorter range as much as the 20 footer he might feel more comfortable, but where does he spend most of his practice time at? Beyond the arc, and why not...it's worth 1/3 more
We're talking the mechanics of shooting, not what distance a specific player has practiced at the most.

And it is 1/2 more, not 1/3 more.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
My fault assuming you can shoot the distance of open jump shot without changing to faulty mechanics to gain power and sacrifice accuracy. This is the real issue. Because we can't shoot accurately with strength at range until years into players development for success, strategy and quality practice the number of reps (hours of practice/game situations) in finishing on the interior is just so much greater then long shots people get better at them. The same way I'm better at eating cereal then I am playing the piano. Could I be as good or better yes. Once I had the capability I would have to spend a ridiculous amount of time on playing piano though. Got my mastery of eating early

Still, no matter how much a player practices at any given distance, the laws of physics will still always say that the ability to make a shot will go down in relation to the distance....even if the player is sufficiently strong and maintains perfect form at any distance. The effective target gets smaller and smaller the farther away it gets and, as a result, gets more difficult to hit.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Still, no matter how much a player practices at any given distance, the laws of physics will still always say that the ability to make a shot will go down in relation to the distance....even if the player is sufficiently strong and maintains perfect form at any distance. The effective target gets smaller and smaller the farther away it gets and, as a result, gets more difficult to hit.
Yes if that were the only determining factor I would agree. Someone with the actual science would have to confirm, but anecdotally having to adjust/practice to compensate for loss of results for 1 factor (distance) seems more repeatable to me. Having to adjust body, tragectory, release point, counterbalance fighting biomechanics and energy producers to keep the ball on line and on lift vs 1 or defensive players and potential contact seems like its more difficult to repeat in a uncontrolled environment. Now we are back to practice though.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Fri Mar 22, 2013, 06:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

Gold Medal Winner If It Were An Olympic Sport ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
Got my mastery of eating.
I'm what you call an expert.