The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

From beyond the arc

Opinions please: Are we at the point now where a 3 ptr is actually in some ways an easier shot to make than a hard, semi contested drive to the hoop, or even a short pull up midrange in traffic? I know the shot is from farther away, but honestly some of the games I see the kids can get it up there effortlessly, yet struggle with a lot of closer shots. Maybe they just practice the three more now, but it sure explains most of the drive and kick strategy now, especially in non shot clock games, where patient and deliberate teams can wait until a wide open three is there for them. Don't get me wrong, I love the addition of the arc to the game those many years ago, and maybe that's my point. It's been around awhile now and it's common and fairly easy to make...perhaps we will see in the coming years NFHS move the line back and/or adopt the shot clock.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2013, 10:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You'll see the line moved back before the shot clock gets added.

That's both my hope and my prediction.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 06:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

Gender Bender ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
You'll see the line moved back.
For both genders?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 09:09am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
For both genders?
Of course; isn't that what Title IX is for?
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 09:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
For both genders?
Good point, Billy. It's possible they could allow a state adoption to move the line for boys. It might be the first gender distinction NFHS has made, though.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

If it's going to remain a part of the game I'd like to see the line moved back, and when I say back I mean a substantial distance. And while we're at it, take it out of the game completely at the youth level. I worked with an official who moved to our area from NY and he mentioned that some of their youth leagues only allow the three in the last four minutes of the game.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good point, Billy. It's possible they could allow a state adoption to move the line for boys. It might be the first gender distinction NFHS has made, though.
Basketball size?
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You'll see the line moved back before the shot clock gets added.

That's both my hope and my prediction.
I don't understand the resistance to a shot clock. In WA we have a shot clock for both boys and girls and I don't see the "woe is me, the world is ending" level of problems that many in this forum profess will occur if a shot clock is implemented.

Yes we do have the odd hiccup from a shot clock operator - mostly at the lower levels where kids are running the clocks. But very rarely at the varsity level. I will take what we have over slow action-less basketball every day!
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 12:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Basketball size?
I knew I was forgetting something.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 12:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
I don't understand the resistance to a shot clock. In WA we have a shot clock for both boys and girls and I don't see the "woe is me, the world is ending" level of problems that many in this forum profess will occur if a shot clock is implemented.

Yes we do have the odd hiccup from a shot clock operator - mostly at the lower levels where kids are running the clocks. But very rarely at the varsity level. I will take what we have over slow action-less basketball every day!
I just don't see a need.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 12:16pm
NFHS Official

Quote:

I think it has to do with money. Maybe they don't think all schools can afford the shot clock. I think that is not the case, but maybe the Fed does. Also not all states are using 3 man mechanics. I don't know, but maybe they don't want the shot clock with only 2 man mechanics.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
I just don't see a need.
Agree. Very few games would be improved by it and it cost a lot of money to address an issue that infrequently exists.

Most games would be improved by 3-personwhereas only 1 out of a 100 (maybe 1000) might be improved with a shot clock.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 01:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

No shot clock here. And no slow action basketball here either.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
I think it has to do with money. Maybe they don't think all schools can afford the shot clock. I think that is not the case, but maybe the Fed does. Also not all states are using 3 man mechanics. I don't know, but maybe they don't want the shot clock with only 2 man mechanics.

I will give you the "money" argument and even the "we don't need it" argument, but I don't buy the "it will cause too many problems" argument. I just don't see it.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 02:05pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
I will give you the "money" argument and even the "we don't need it" argument, but I don't buy the "it will cause too many problems" argument. I just don't see it.
I don't think it will cause any problems either. My point is how many states only use 2 man mechanics? Here the largest schools are the only with 3 man. What I am saying is, they may not want to implement shot clock with only 2 man mechanics. Maybe they only want shot clock in games with 3 man mechanics. I don't know why that would matter, but just a thought.