The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 02:15pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
I will give you the "money" argument and even the "we don't need it" argument, but I don't buy the "it will cause too many problems" argument. I just don't see it.
The rarity of shot clock issues is exceeded by the rarity of games where it's needed.

IOW, it may not create many headaches, but it would solve even fewer.

It's like using napalm to kill a spider in the back yard.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Scoring averages go down yearly, in my opinion largely due to increasing demand of the player going to the bucket, or in the post to play through contact.

Making the three-ball longer, or shortening possessions with a clock will only serve to launch even worse shots, and even less scoring.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The rarity of shot clock issues is exceeded by the rarity of games where it's needed.

IOW, it may not create many headaches, but it would solve even fewer.

It's like using napalm to kill a spider in the back yard.
Agreed. NY uses it at its top BV level (AA) which I think makes sense. More of those kids are going to play at the next level so it doesn't hurt to let them get used to it. That being said it's not as though those kids would stand around playing stall ball if we didn't use it.

The headache comes with finding people to run the thing. In NYC I'd say 98% of the table crews are students. It's tough enough finding kids who can keep a proper scorebook in some places let alone finding someone who can do the shot clock correctly. I've had games where there's an extra 10-15 minutes added on in real time just to deal with mistakes.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 04:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Land That Time Forgot ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
How many states only use 2 man mechanics?
What? There are states other than Connecticut that don't work three person games? Get outta here.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Mar 20, 2013, 04:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Closer To Becoming An Esteemed Forum Member ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Good point, Billy.
Oh. My. God. Eight years as a Forum member and this has never happened to me before. How do I get Adam's post bronzed? Should I thank all the little people for making this happen?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
For both genders?
Disclaimer: admittedly small sample size

Data from Missouri Class 5 (largest class) championship teams (4 girls teams, 4 boys teams) - Season averages:
Girls shot .347
Boys shot .342
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

That's a lot of bricks
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 10:07am
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
Disclaimer: admittedly small sample size

Data from Missouri Class 5 (largest class) championship teams (4 girls teams, 4 boys teams) - Season averages:
Girls shot .347
Boys shot .342
Quote:
Originally Posted by letemplay View Post
That's a lot of bricks
Not great. 3-10.

Last edited by OKREF; Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 10:10am.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

I'm a FIBA guy so there is obviously some difference since shot clock is the norm. Are there problems with the shot clock you bet but its just part of what you deal with. The better the game the less problems. Dealing with this since it is a rule has more of a perception of being more of game management rather then an inconvenience.

I also think personally (as I've shared here before) that the shot clock is better for promotion/development of more basketball players. If you are a kid is it more likely you will play/want to get better/ shoot more on your own if your teams puts up 60-80 shots pergame and everyone is expected to be able to take and make one. Or if your team puts up 30-50 shots and there are only specific conditions in which someone other than 2-3 three players in specific spots/roles will shoot. Are games more fun when they are player controlled or coach controlled? Shot clock puts more possesions and control in players hands and decision making ability.

That is my mini soap box.

In terms of how often it happens. The all out stall does not happen all that often in Maine which is on our border but the game does change in the 4th guarter once someone has a lead almost everytime, and often in games once a team gets up the offensive/coach control goes into overdrive. In gaems where there is any dispartiy in teams at all almots invariably at one point a team will try to stall to either end/balance out the game.

Behind the arc. In terms of shooting theory. You make more shots when you are on balance and your arm and body movement create singular positive energy on the ball. The more often you take contested shots or try to shoot over/around or through contact/defense the more often you are taking shots that don't meet that criteria. From a strictly bio-mecahnic perspective taking uncontested jump shots should be a better percentage then highly contested interior finishes. That being said because of coaching most kids are much more adept from early ages on and being able to finish in close regardless of the situation then just make open jumpshots. That is IMO one of the key differences between the North American game and International game over seas. The best kids in North America are trained to become proficient 1 on 1 players who can score a variety of ways vs individual defense. The best kids in other international coutnries are trained to be great shooters and to find ways to get themselves or other players open shots.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post

Behind the arc. In terms of shooting theory. You make more shots when you are on balance and your arm and body movement create singular positive energy on the ball. The more often you take contested shots or try to shoot over/around or through contact/defense the more often you are taking shots that don't meet that criteria. From a strictly bio-mecahnic perspective taking uncontested jump shots should be a better percentage then highly contested interior finishes.
Not sure I entirely agree with that.

Even with perfect form, distance degrades accuracy. The farther from the basket a player is, there is a smaller and smaller set of trajectories x forces that will even have a chance of going in. Inside, the successful trajectories and forces are more plentiful. You have two independent factors diminishing the probability of a make....distances and defensive pressure. Those curves will certainly cross at some point where the pressure exceeds the effect of distance but I don't think it is always true that and open shot (at any distance) is better than an interior shot, even if highly contested.

Now, if you were referring to an uncontested 12-15' jump shot, I might agree, but not necessarily at 20' or 25'.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Mar 21, 2013 at 01:41pm.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 03:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Took Physics In High School, They Made Me Regular ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
... smaller and smaller set of trajectories x forces that will even have a chance of going in. Inside, the successful trajectories and forces are more plentiful. You have two independent factors diminishing the probability of a make ... curves will certainly cross at some point where the pressure exceeds the effect of distance.
Will this be on the test?

Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

I disagree somewhat with your statement Cam that a longer shot has a lower chance of going in than one of a shorter distance. I think the 3 point range, lets say 20-23', has become so practiced and the necessary arc, as you say, has been perfected my many, that it IS a more makeable shot. A player that is highly proficient at this distance might struggle with the release and arc necessary for a 10' from the short corner, for instance. Of course if this player practiced this shorter range as much as the 20 footer he might feel more comfortable, but where does he spend most of his practice time at? Beyond the arc, and why not...it's worth 1/3 more
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I...it's worth 1/3 more
I shake my head at BM's comments about math, then I see this.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
From a strictly bio-mecahnic perspective taking uncontested jump shots should be a better percentage then highly contested interior finishes.
Um... no. The degree to which someone must be accurate increases with the square of the distance from the basket. Your statement is not even close to correct. What do you think the percentage success rate on dunks and layups are? Significantly higher than midrange or longrange shots, despite the fact that they are more highly contested.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Mar 21, 2013, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Beyond the arc, and why not...it's worth 1/3 more
Ah yes, the new 2.6666666 point shot.

West Houston Mike