The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Wed Jun 05, 2013, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Billy,

First I would like to know if that is your first name. I don't need to know anymore.

Secondly, The ORL camp will have current staff members from the BS and CC as campers as they continue to develop their ability and leadership skills in an effort to progress to crew chiefs and in an effort to referee with a crew chief mentality, even though they may be listed as a R1 or R2 and not the CC in a given game.

SOME POINTS

If I were you I would approach each game with my point above. Referee with a CC mentality. That does not mean being arrogant (I am not saying you are). It means:

1) taking care of your primary
2) get 100% obvious calls out of your primary
3) when you make calls out of your primary, let the cadence of your whistle be a bit delayed to allow your partner who has the primary play to process the play as he may be letting the play start, develop, and finish.
NOTE - When you go into your secondary, make sure it is high certainty, it helps the game and you have good whistle cadence. "Throw a Strike". You want nothing on the corners when you go into your secondary.
4) Don't blow a whistle just to blow, and by this I mean so many times I see an official reffing very well and he as had zero whistles. This means he has had great no calls, has not reached on marginal calls, and has not interjected himself into the game. If you have gone for 5 minutes with a foul, do not feel anxious.
5) Reffing with a CC mentality means being a good partner, applying rules correctly, knowing the rules in unusual situations, and taking responsibility when you know you are right
6) Reffing with a CC mentality does not mean being overbearing, boisterous or arrogant, it means making the team better, allowing your partners to officiate, and stepping up when it is called for.

CONTINUED...
7) your whistles on plays going to the basket should sound at the finish of the play, not at the beginning or while the play is developing
8) your whistles on the perimeter will sound more at the beginning and development of the play
9) Concentrate on the point of contact on one-on-one matchups (the point of contact is what part will cause you problems).

BIG ISSUES OF ADVANCEMENT IS HOW YOU MANAGE CONFLICT ETC- In ORL, some of these games have conflict naturally, and some ref's calls cause conflict, just like any game during the season.
10) Be able to communicate and resolve conflict (whether it is a quick discussion with a coach, an answer using basketball terminology, or a techincal foul
NOTE AS JUST AN EXAMPLE: An answer using basketaball terminology would be
COACH: Ref, that call was way too late.
REF: Coach I understand, but I blew my whistle when the play finished
OR
REF: Coach I understand, but If I blew the whistle at the start of the play, it would have been a marginal whistle, when I blew at the end of the play it was a foul.
You can say that in 5 seconds as you move to report the foul or as you move after you reported the foul....yada yada yada....., that requires feel and you need to project confidence and approachability without being arrogant
11) Conflict is inevitable, Combat is optional. The situation + your attitude/action = outcome (That is a conflict mgt equation)
12) Focus on "getting it right" over "being right"
13) Don't "react",..... reflect and respond.
14) Manage your own feelings first, then others
15) Attack the problem, not the person
16) Practice assertive and cooperative communication
17) When dealing with a coach, remember, if you understand "him", better than he understands "himself", then you can guide the conversation

OTHER THINGS
18) Referee to your experience - that means recognize your experience level, the positions you have been in, and make sure you ref at a minimum to that level, while also trying to recognizing areas you can advance your level within the game - pick your spots (you can still ref with a CC Chief mentality within your level of experience)
19) On rebound plays, ref with the possession/consequence theory to avoid marginal fouls on players, especially starting big guys
20) On rebounding fouls, there are "clean up" fouls, where the constant reach in causing contact by the new defender will result in a reaction by the offensive player with the ball. Get the first foul to clean that up
21) On post play remember, "Man then ball" is a foul. "Ball then Man" may not be a foul...just see the whole play and don't react

Enter each game with a plan (what are you working on)
Enter each possession with a plan (know what is happening in the game)
Enter each rotation with a plan (know what is happening in that clock period)

I COULD GO ON FOR 7 MORE DAYS. THAT IS PROBABLY WAY TOO MUCH, but take what you want or what you feel is relevant.

I will see you down there and try to pick you out of the crowd. I will find you and you may not even know it Good luck.