The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 08:56am
Back from the DL

Daily Limit?

I had four games on Friday. I was fine the first three, but my legs felt it during the fourth, and wasn't as strong. (Meanwhile, I have a friend who worked 15 games over the weekend.)

Anyone have a daily limit? That is, "I won't work more than (x) games in a day." I have to wonder if that's a smarter approach.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

It depends on the players' ages and timing rules.

I worked a "travel tournament" a couple of weeks ago. I had the 5th grade games. running clock, games every hour (I forget how long the quarters / halves were). I did 3. Could have done more, especially with any kind of a break.

Then, another tourney. 7 minute quarters, regular timing. 8th grade. 3 games was plenty.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 09:17am
TODO: creative title here

+1 to Bob's comments... and I'd add "size of the court" to the calculus.

11U, running time, smaller-than-regulation court = I can do 6 or 7 games back to back without much problem.

JV/Varsity doubleheader, standard timing, standard court = 2 games is plenty. I've done 4 games like this before, but I had a 5-hour break between the first 2 and the second 2 (which I used to go home and take a glorious nap).
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 09:40am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It depends on the players' ages and timing rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
+1 to Bob's comments... and I'd add "size of the court" to the calculus.
Agreed. Plus, if you have two or three P's. A MS gym is shorter and easier than HS.

At my age, I try to limit myself to no more than four consecutive games as I am just not able to move the way I want to by the end of the last game. I did five in one day a few weeks back but had a few hr break in between.

If I don't believe I can give 100%, I don't take the game. I could probably do more and no one would notice. But, for me, it's just not fair to the kids.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 09:57am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I had four games on Friday. I was fine the first three, but my legs felt it during the fourth, and wasn't as strong. (Meanwhile, I have a friend who worked 15 games over the weekend.)

Anyone have a daily limit? That is, "I won't work more than (x) games in a day." I have to wonder if that's a smarter approach.
Yep, my limit is 3. It is only broken when in camp. And you'll find some camps that don't want their campers working more than 3 full games in a day.

I also don't work anything below 6th grade AAU. If I'm on the court in the off-season I want to be actually officiating, not managing the game.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 09:58am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

4 is generally enough for me. That's 2 double-headers.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Just did 6 on Saturday and 8 on Sunday. They were 7th/8th/9th grade games with 8 minute running clocks (stops in last minute of each quarter and all shooting fouls). Two-man crew. Quads and ankles are the only somewhat sore parts today.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

I did 6 back to back (8th grade) on Saturday on a big court, two-man, 7 minute stop clock. I was pretty beat by the end, but after a three hour break and about 5 minutes of standing in bare feet on an acupressure mat I was good to go for a local high school all star game.

I have done 10 back to back with 20 minute running clock halves without a problem.

I do find that rotating shoes between games (not left to right or right to left, but actual pairs!) and fresh socks really helps.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 02:02pm
Archaic Power Monger

One season I did four 8th grade boys games in a row. It was the end of the season tournament and they were supposed to be 6 minute quarters. The dingbat AD who was on site insisted they were 8 minute quarters. That was too many games but at least it was pretty decent basketball.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Scuba_ref;885213]

I have done 10 back to back with 20 minute running clock halves without a problem.

Not a problem? ...for whom? How do you think your positioning was after about oh..3 games?

I've seen two man crews with rec hall running clock rules do multiple games and barely make it across half court every possesion change, calling fouls from half court down on baseline plays...well at least you'd be close to the bookkeeper

Just saying apples to apples guys...this is entirely different than even trying to do back to back competitive high school games
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 03:06pm
AremRed

The most I have done (in a row) has been 7 CYO games, approximately one hour each. I have decided my limit (physically and mentally) is between 4-6 depending on my physical condition and the amount of focus I can muster.

I have a friend who did 14 games in a row. 8am-11pm. Highly inadvisable, as for the last 5 games he hung out as Trail 20 feet into the backcourt.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_ref View Post
There's no possible way. I don't care how young or in shape you are. I've never seen anyone work more than 4 games in a row and not diminish in some very significant ways. You stop hustling, you're not anywhere near as sharp mentally, and it shows. You may not think you have any problems, but I defy you to look at the tape of your first and 6th games and not see a drastic decline in ability. 10? Ridiculous. It's all about the money for people who work that many games.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

5-6 hours is usually my max. That could be 6 hour long running clock games, or 3 HS games. I find time (and the aforementioned gym size) matters more than number of games. Sometimes (in Texas) AC or no AC makes a bigger difference.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Did 9 in 1 day at a summer tournament, alternating 2 on and 1 off. At least three too many for the day.

There is definitely a fall off for me after three in a row.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2013, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
There's no possible way. I don't care how young or in shape you are. I've never seen anyone work more than 4 games in a row and not diminish in some very significant ways. You stop hustling, you're not anywhere near as sharp mentally, and it shows. You may not think you have any problems, but I defy you to look at the tape of your first and 6th games and not see a drastic decline in ability. 10? Ridiculous. It's all about the money for people who work that many games.

Speak for yourself! It is never about the money for me. I do more volunteer reffing than any other official in our association - Special Olympics, Lions Club All Star Games, Senior Party Fund Raiser tournaments, scrimmages etc. I also do very few AAU tournaments - typically two per year because the guy that organizes those two is a friend and fellow official.

And when I do do AAU my partner gets the following pregame - "Our mechanics will be by the books and that includes switching!"

It is all about the Zigs and hydration!