The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
Photos are fun to discuss, they give us something more to go from in starting discussions. So, without further ado, I'd like to start a series here, the Visual Daily Double, and post photos to facilitate discussions. I recommend anyone that cares to start one like this at anytime, go right ahead. Take a look at the reply box if you don't know how to program an inline image in HTML.

So, without further ado...

Has anyone else found that it is better to argue with your mask on? While it is on, you have a psychological shield between you and the arguer, so that it personaly affects you less, causing a greater degree of discipline and objectivity. Also, when the umpire needs to make an emphatic "that's enough" statement, he can take off the mask (making it clear that he's not threatening to use it to strike the arguer) and give a more meaningful warning.

Obviously, we're not going to put the mask on just to argue, but it would be good to leave it on when its already on.

P-Sz
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Szalapski
Has anyone else found that it is better to argue with your mask on? While it is on, you have a psychological shield between you and the arguer, so that it personaly affects you less, causing a greater degree of discipline and objectivity. Also, when the umpire needs to make an emphatic "that's enough" statement, he can take off the mask (making it clear that he's not threatening to use it to strike the arguer) and give a more meaningful warning.
I've never considered it. However, in our area the umpires and head coaches are generally on a first-name basis and the mask might actually get in the way of "conversation" like that in the picture.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

I really don't know

Maybe the reason the umpire left his mask on was to say, "We have a game to play and I'm not going to take the time to argue with you". IMHO, if he removed his mask, he would have opened the door for MORE complaining.

I would think that removing the mask would only escalate the situation, not defuse it.

Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 07:51am
In Memoriam

I remove it

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Maybe the reason the umpire left his mask on was to say, "We have a game to play and I'm not going to take the time to argue with you". IMHO, if he removed his mask, he would have opened the door for MORE complaining.

I would think that removing the mask would only escalate the situation, not defuse it.

Mike,
I remove my mask for a discussion, but may not for a quick comment.
I mumble enough without that mask on my chin.
mick
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

I think the mask issue is in left field. If you know how to handle yourself, you know how to handle yourself-------with or without a mask. Masks may have been beneficial to Zorro and the Lone Ranger, but those are totally different issues---and I never saw them have to deal with coaches.

Steve
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Spazzzzzzzzzzz

You're being Spazzzzzz again. And I had seen such a change.

You cannot possibly make any decesions from this photo. You assumptions have no basis of logic.

Warm up next time before you post.

Love and Kisses,

Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Re: I remove it

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears

Mike,
I remove my mask for a discussion, but may not for a quick comment.
I mumble enough without that mask on my chin.
mick
I appreciate the comment. I'm starting my first year as a HS umpire and only worked mostly 13-14 year old leagues last year (with a few JV Legion games thrown in later in the year) so my opinion may very well change so I don't count my opinion worth much.

I will remove my mask if the conversation has meaning. If it is to debate a called third strike, I will likely leave it on. In my mind, that signals that I'm not going to debate the issue.

And I too mmble t-- mch wthout the msk
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Now - that's a good post

I guess experience teaches what to do with the mask.

Over the years I have developed a tendency to ONLY take the mask off when I need to make a clear point. Example: if I call a hitter out on a called third to end the inning, I take my mask off quickly and walk directly away from the hitter.

I NEVER agrue with my mask on . . .

This is a pretty interesting thought. I would guess it would be considered raising the tension level as soon a a PU takes off the mask.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Re: Now - that's a good post

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

....Over the years I have developed a tendency to ONLY take the mask off when I need to make a clear point. Example: if I call a hitter out on a called third to end the inning, I take my mask off quickly and walk directly away from the hitter....

Great point for umps who don't already do this. I did a big tourney once and a partner noticed I stood there after the big "three". He told me I was begging for it.

Since then I handle it just like Tee. Say it, turn your back to him (not the play) and a few steps in the opposite direction tells him, "This play is over"

Just my opinion,

Steve
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
Good comments, all. I agree that perhaps removing the mask as suggested in my first post might not be such a great idea. I like Tee's comment about removing the mask after a strike three call to end the inning--it helps sell the call, and that's always good.

P-Sz
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 02:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Leaving it on.

I think this might be a balls and strikes argument, if that is the case, leave it on. The only reason you should take of the mask is if you have something special to discuss or if you expect that conversation to be long. I have left my mask on when a player wants to debate judgement calls, but if I know it is a serious discussion about a rule or something that will take time, I take it off. I think this is a personal thing, but leaving the mask on in this situation as it appears it was appropriate.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

In a conversation I once had with Durwood Merrill, he says to always leave the mask on during confrontation. He says taking the mask off is an indication that the conversation has escalated and someone is about to go. In his theory, he feels the mask on and the mask off are signals to players and coaches.

Arguing with mask on = "I'm putting up with this but not for long."

Arguing with mask off = "Somebody's fixing to go!"

Review the Roberto Alomar spitting incident. The discussion begins with mask on. It quickly erodes when the mask comes off. This is just an example.

I think the mask is a tool for reading body language.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 03:18pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb I've never tossed a manager.

Quote:
Originally posted by ump24

ump24,
I think that also. And the reason that I remove my mask for discussion and hold it behind my back, is so the player, or coach, can see that I am not hiding behind it, and that they are talking with a real person.
mick

Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I've never tossed a manager.

Quote:
Quote:

ump24,
I think that also. And the reason that I remove my mask for discussion and hold it behind my back, is so the player, or coach, can see that I am not hiding behind it, and that they are talking with a real person.
mick

Good point, mick. At lower levels of ball I think the mask should probably routinely come off in discussions. There should be very few ejections and the focus is on learning and sportsmanship.

At upper levels (i.e. professional and college) rules knowledge and sportsmanship are assumed values. Therefore, players and coaches know what type of behavior is acceptable and unacceptable.

Taking off your mask at upper levels communicates a totally different motive than it does at lower levels. Great point mick.
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 06:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: I've never tossed a manager.

Quote:
Quote:

ump24,
mick

Mick, I only agree with you if the discussion is a calm rules discussion. But if they want to argue judgement and debate with me, then the mask is going to stay on. And if I have to take it off, they have got a problem and it might be time for them to go. But if we are talking about the bigger kids and the more advanced levels, like a varsity or college level, I am keeping it on. But understand, this is very personal like other things in the game, so good people can disagree. I just feel that this works for me, not necessarily everyone else. And believe me, you are not wrong, it is just different.

Peace