The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 07:20am
Official Forum Member

What are your thoughts on a pithcer repeatedly hitting batters (unintentionally)? This happened in a 12 YO game last weekend were 5 or 6 batters were hit in the span of 3 innings. She wasn't pitching fast enough to hurt anyone beyond a little bruise, but I suppose if a kid took one to the face it could have caused some damage.

The only rule I could think of would be Little Leauge rule 9.01(c) which would allow the umpire to take action based on a safety violation.

Is there a point where you would have taken action, or have taken action in the past?
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by learnintheropes
What are your thoughts on a pithcer repeatedly hitting batters (unintentionally)? ... Is there a point where you would have taken action, or have taken action in the past?
I have heard of leagues with "excessive hit by pitch" rules, but as far as I know, those are all local rules. ASA has no such rule, and I don't favor such rules. When pitchers are developing, they tend to be wild and tend to hit a few batters. It's part of being a beginner.
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
LL also has no rule limiting the number of batters who get hit, although some leagues add their own local rule. If I think a pitcher is hitting an inordinate number of batter, I will usually speak to the coach between innings.

SamC
Old Tue May 13, 2003, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

901 (c) can cover a broad array of issues. When invoking this rule, be prepared for a nasty coach because it doesn't explicitly state safety violation.

The only other rule you could utilize would be 901 (d), but this would cause for disqualification for unsportsmanlike conduct.

This situation is much like throwing the bat after hitting a pitch, though unintentional, it is dangerous and usually the 2nd time, player could be disqualified. Most coaches are familiar with this and could relate to it.

However, preventive umpiring is always best; talk to the coach, explain your concern.