The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 14, 2013, 09:35am
Courageous When Prudent

Protect the shooter?

Jets or APG, can you post Kobe's last second shot from the Lakers @ Hawks game last night?

I want to see if the contact occurred to Kobe's extended leg or to Kobe's torso.

thanks.
Old Thu Mar 14, 2013, 10:10am
Courageous When Prudent

Here:

Old Thu Mar 14, 2013, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Love the over-dramatic title of the video. I don't think it was intentional. I do think it should have been a foul, especially since it was a fade away and he still managed to not let him land normally.
Old Thu Mar 14, 2013, 10:46am
Ok is the new good

Thanks for Posting this topic..I look forward to hearing comments...

Kobe was steamed in locker room and did say the refs need to do a better job protecting the shooter...and yes Kobe believes that the defender intentionally puthis leg and foot under kobe so that kobe would land on it...Kobe also said too bad I have to wait until next year to see this guy again!
Old Thu Mar 14, 2013, 03:13pm
TODO: creative title here

IMHO,
Definitely should've been a foul called, but it wasn't intentional (NFHS parlance) or flagrant (NCAA/NBA parlance)... it was a basketball play, and the contact wasn't excessive.
Old Thu Mar 14, 2013, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Can someone please explain why there isn't a precedent set for preventing this? I have a problem with shooters who kick their feet out to create space and/or draw contact. And, I also have a problem with defenders who undercut. I know Jones walked into where Kobe's left foot was going to hit the floor. But the problem I have is this: Kobe kicks his feet out when he shoots. Normally, not that big of an issue, either offensive(very rare), defensive, or no call. But, a lot of the time when Kobe takes these fadeaways, he continues to kick his feet out so far to create space and draw contact that he is unable to land. His feet usually hit the floor at least 4' in front of his head and his body is so flat/stretched out that his bottom then hits the court and he falls and slides across the court. On this play, Kobe is definitely going to the floor. Shouldn't he be required to keeps his legs and feet somewhat under his body? If Kobe cannot land and stay on his feet, why should the defender be forced to back off when Kobe can't rightfully remain on that space on the court. And, if the rue makers want it to go the other way, can they make well known so that defenders know that they cannot contest the shot after a fadeaway is initialized so stuff like this doesn't happen again??
Old Thu Mar 14, 2013, 04:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Maybe if they continue to no-call these, he'll stop risking his life every shot.
Old Fri Mar 15, 2013, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

NBA has issued a statement that it should have been a foul, accoding to the local fishwrap.
Old Fri Mar 15, 2013, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

With 4.9 seconds remaining in the Atlanta Hawks' 96-92 win over the Los Angeles Lakers on March 13, the Lakers' Kobe Bryant attempted a jump shot over the Hawks' Dahntay Jones. After review at the league office, video replay confirmed that referees missed a foul call on Jones as he challenged Bryant's shot and did not give him the opportunity to land cleanly back on the floor. Bryant should have been granted two free throws.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Mar 15, 2013, 01:49pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Question Any opinions on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
With 4.9 seconds remaining in the Atlanta Hawks' 96-92 win over the Los Angeles Lakers on March 13, the Lakers' Kobe Bryant attempted a jump shot over the Hawks' Dahntay Jones. After review at the league office, video replay confirmed that referees missed a foul call on Jones as he challenged Bryant's shot and did not give him the opportunity to land cleanly back on the floor. Bryant should have been granted two free throws.
Seems like more and more the leagues (NFL, NBA, NCAA) are reviewing film and commenting publically on what should/shouldn't be called.........
Old Fri Mar 15, 2013, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Seems like more and more the leagues (NFL, NBA, NCAA) are reviewing film and commenting publically on what should/shouldn't be called.........
The NBA, this season, has commented five times on missed calls in late game situations this year. I see no issue with it. Calls get missed...I think it's smart to acknowledge when they do.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Fri Mar 15, 2013, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

And he still would have sprained his ankle even if the foul had been called.
Old Fri Mar 15, 2013, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
L clapping hands?

During this play, the L claps his hands several times loudly. Is he trying to let the C know that he's rotated? I can't figure out what else this might be.
Old Fri Mar 15, 2013, 03:26pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
During this play, the L claps his hands several times loudly. Is he trying to let the C know that he's rotated? I can't figure out what else this might be.
A great mechanic given that the C is looking toward the DL (and away from the L's new location) for the matchup right in front of him.
Old Sun Mar 17, 2013, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
A great mechanic given that the C is looking toward the DL (and away from the L's new location) for the matchup right in front of him.
Have you actually heard of this as a mechanic? I'd be worried that it might have an impact on the game by, for example, causing players to turn their heads.