The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Headbands, the picture version

Again, apologies to Iowa. You were the lucky ones to have your state playoffs on ESPN360 first.

I know we had another string about headbands but I wanted to post some visuals. I hate to say it but while I was watching this game I kept thinking, "why wasn't this dealt with during the 15 minutes before tipoff?"

None of us wants to be the fashion police but the rainbow coalition of headbands, combined with the one girl who played with what appears to be metal clips in her hair, gives a bad impression at the start of the game IMO. I know if I was an observer it would stick out in my mind.

"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Only in Iowa....

The Girls Union in Iowa doesn't enforce the color restrictions on headbands. I have no idea why. Black, white, beige, or school color is obviously too difficult to adjudicate correctly. The players can also wear metal clips in their hair, as long as the clips do not exceed two inches in length. I agree, it looks like a circus out there, but the officials are following the directives from the governing body.
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Well, my apologies again to the officials on this and other games in regards to that rule but not enforcing it doesn't make sense, especially with the hair clips.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-40 View Post
The Girls Union in Iowa doesn't enforce the color restrictions on headbands. I have no idea why. Black, white, beige, or school color is obviously too difficult to adjudicate correctly. The players can also wear metal clips in their hair, as long as the clips do not exceed two inches in length. I agree, it looks like a circus out there, but the officials are following the directives from the governing body.
Good for them (as far as the color bit goes)!
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-40 View Post
That is because those are not headbands but hair restraints. The rules don't regulate hair control devices.

See this prior thread for the official word: Hair Control Devices and Headbands
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That is because those are not headbands but hair restraints. The rules don't regulate hair control devices.

Here's the official wording:

Wristbands and Headwear - We will be adhering to Rules 3-5-4 and 3-6 regarding wristbands and headwear with the following exceptions. Anything worn in the hair (including headbands) must be soft and unadorned but may be any color or multi-colored and do not have to match for all teammates. Bobby pins 2” or less will also be allowed. Wristbands may be any color or multi-colored and do not have to match for all teammates, but must be moisture-absorbing material. Lance Armstrong bracelets, rubber bands, etc., are still illegal as they are not moisture-absorbing.
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

All headbands

Thanks for the pictures.

I would disagree, that by rule or interpretation those are all hair control items.

In picture two she has a pink HEADBAND and a Red HAIR CONTROL device.
In picture three she has a red HEADBAND and a black HAIR CONTROL device.

Enforce according to state rules for those items.
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

I think its amusing that there is a distinction here between headband and hair control device when the only difference is one needs to be tied and the other doesn't. For all other appearance reason they look the same.

I wish they would just lump all headgear into one category to keep things simple.
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 12:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Outdated thread. Changed in 2008-09 to include prewrap that goes around the entire head. The pictures in this thread -- those would be treated as headbands. Unless, of course, the state made its own rules.

-----

2008-09 NFHS Basketball Case 2008-09 Changes
PART 1 Comments on the
2008-09 Revisions
HEADBANDS DEFINED AND COLORS ADDED (3-5-3): Any item that goes
around the entire head (elastic strips/bands, pre-wrap, headbands, etc.) shall
meet the rule requirements regarding color, maximum size, logo restrictions and
team uniformity. The colors of black and beige were also added to the list of permissible
colors a team may wear. This change makes the rule more consistent in
application and enforcement. The additional colors will provide student-athletes
with the same low-cost options previously available, while maintaining team uniformity.
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 03:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Outdated thread. Changed in 2008-09 to include prewrap that goes around the entire head. The pictures in this thread -- those would be treated as headbands. Unless, of course, the state made its own rules.

-----

PART 1 Comments on the
2008-09 Revisions
around the entire head
(elastic strips/bands, pre-wrap, headbands, etc.) shall
team uniformity. The colors of black and beige were also added to the list of permissible
application and enforcement. The additional colors will provide student-athletes
with the same low-cost options previously available, while maintaining team uniformity.
Agree....we're told that if it is up around the hair only and not down on the forehead, then it isn't going around "the entire head". So, the above items are still not things that are covered by the rule according to our interpreter.
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 03:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Agree....we're told that if it is up around the hair only and not down on the forehead, then it isn't going around "the entire head". So, the above items are still not things that are covered by the rule according to our interpreter.
A very liberal interpretation -- not that I care one way or another. I'm a fan of Iowa's way of thinking (well, with the hair-control devices / headbands, anyway).
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 07:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fashionista ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
PART 1 Comments on the 2008-09 Revisions
around the entire head (elastic strips/bands, pre-wrap, headbands, etc.) shall
We've been told that anything that goes around the head is a headband, anything that goes around only hair is a hair control device. That doesn't stop many officials in my local area from ignoring the rule and leaving their Fashion Police badges in the car. I'm usually a guy who goes by the book, but I was so frustrated this year that I decided that any color, to me, was a school color, and allowed the girls to wear any color headband as long as they all wore the same color. I guess that I was kicking the can down the road to some other official, but I was comfortable with my little compromise.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo96 View Post
Thanks for the pictures.

I would disagree, that by rule or interpretation those are all hair control items.

In picture two she has a pink HEADBAND and a Red HAIR CONTROL device.
In picture three she has a red HEADBAND and a black HAIR CONTROL device.

Enforce according to state rules for those items.
I agree with this intpretation.

If you draw a line from one point on the item to another and go through skull, it's a headband. If you only go through hair, it's a hair control device.

I don't recall any issues in my games this year -- the coaches and players know the rule and (generally) abide by it or are told to comply and do so without (obvious) complaining.

I'm not sure what the issue was with the picture in the lower left.
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

As an Iowa official, I will say that I like the Iowa High School Girl's Athletic Union's adaptation for headbands and hair control devices. It's one less uniform item that we have to deal with as officials. On the other hand, we still have to deal with this issue during the boy's games (as it's covered by a different state association).

-Josh
Old Thu Mar 07, 2013, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I agree with this intpretation.

If you draw a line from one point on the item to another and go through skull, it's a headband. If you only go through hair, it's a hair control device.

I don't recall any issues in my games this year -- the coaches and players know the rule and (generally) abide by it or are told to comply and do so without (obvious) complaining.

I'm not sure what the issue was with the picture in the lower left.
Early on when the rule came into effect, you had to tell the teams over and over ( mostly because so many officials would not enforce the rule ) but with time ( 3 games or so ) ALL the players comply with the rule, no exceptions.

If you enforce the rule, any rule, they will follow it. But you must do so as an association.