The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamG View Post
I agree that would be ideal. I have also worked games (in the broadcast truck) where the camera operator goofed and didn't include the clock in the shot. Then they go to the superimposed clock.

My point is simply they use the superimposed clock many times, why would it all of a sudden be considered "inaccurate" now? Just as a reminder, I'm not talking about the computer generated clock that is used through most of the game, but superimposing the "clock" camera over the "game" camera.
There's a picture floating about from a game last year (or the year prior) where the clock above the basket showed 0.0 and the clock elsewhere in the arena showed 0.x

(I think this is (part of) what led to the slight rule change to require the use of the clock above the basket.)

So, if the superimposed clock is the one above the basket, no problem. If it's from elsewhere in the arena, ...
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 10:34am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
There's a picture floating about from a game last year (or the year prior) where the clock above the basket showed 0.0 and the clock elsewhere in the arena showed 0.x

(I think this is (part of) what led to the slight rule change to require the use of the clock above the basket.)

So, if the superimposed clock is the one above the basket, no problem. If it's from elsewhere in the arena, ...
In fact there was a game this season (Gonzaga/Butler I think) where from one camera angle you see the 2 different times between the backboard clock and the arena clock.
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

Fair enough. I assume the officials go by the one above the basket?

I'll try to keep that in mind when doing future broadcasts.
Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamG View Post
Fair enough. I assume the officials go by the one above the basket?

I'll try to keep that in mind when doing future broadcasts.
In the NBA the game clock is the one on top of the backboard and takes first precedence. Next is the LED lights, then the clock on the facades, then the clock on the scoreboard from the ceiling, then tv superimposed clocks.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Mar 06, 2013, 02:58pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I can tell you one thing for certain, it isn't the length of the cables. And you'd know that if you understood physics.
I was really just passing on what I had been told, right or wrong ... I did not do my own empirical testing!