The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 09:05pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

That was awesome! Looks like it was barely off in time —*before the clock and LEDs ... but it is CLOSE!!!
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

What a pressure cooker, They did a great job, getting together and getting it right. I'd like to think I'd do the same.....but who knows??

Terrific

Can you imagine thinking it's over and the sudden steal and desparation heave....... could easily be deer in headlights.

Nicely done. I love the huddle!!!

Last edited by fullor30; Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 11:14am.
Old Sun Mar 03, 2013, 11:17pm
Official & Member

Wow. Talk about razor thin margin of error. That's a pretty impressive piece of officiating.

This video is a great example why ALL crew members should be aware of the end of a quarter and have an opinion, regardless of who is responsible (opposite table) for the last call. I always try to cover this exact scenario as part of my pre game when I'm a crew chief...."Whoever is opposite will be responsible for the last shot, but let's ALL have an opinion in case it's close and we have to come together, we want to get it right".
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

The toughest of calls under the toughest of circumstances.

Yikes. Talk about earning your stripes!
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 05:01am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Video was on both the ABC and CBS news early this morning.

Only ABC talked about the officials......and NOT in a bad way!
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 05:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Video was on both the ABC and CBS news early this morning.

Only ABC talked about the officials......and NOT in a bad way!
Take it from the media guy it all depends on who wrote it. If it was someone like me, we'll mention the original call...in a nice way If it's someone who doesn't know sports, they'll never realize there was a reversal.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
On the video, it doesn't *look* like they ever go to the video, but maybe they did quickly when they were off camera. The one official waved it off right away. If they didn't look at the video, I wonder what was said in the quick huddle to change the call.
That is what I saw watching the video as well. I also thought I heard a whistle right as the shot was released, then saw who I thought was the T waving it off. I, too, wonder what changed his mind, if in fact, he did originally wave it off.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

I know 2/3 of the three officials, they did a FANTASTIC job. A real excellent representation of the officiating in the New York City area. Those two officials also officiate in the CHSAA. I'm proud to have worked with them before.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the24kid View Post
I know 2/3 of the three officials, they did a FANTASTIC job. A real excellent representation of the officiating in the New York City area. Those two officials also officiate in the CHSAA. I'm proud to have worked with them before.
who is the T? the way he ducked, did he get hit by someone/something?
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

That is so tough to tell

I have watched the video relay several times, not using the superimposed clock, but using the clock and lights from the backboard behind the shooter. One time I think he doesn't get it off, the next time I think he does.

I think it was actually the lead official that got the officials together (and the third back from off the court), to discuss this. In this instance he likely had the best view because he was looking at the shooter and had the backboard, clock and LED all in his field of view, while the official who initially waved it off did not have all the aspects in his line of sight.

Great work by the crew to get the call right after terrible plays by both teams let this shot happen.

Had New Rochelle used a different play they likely get off a better shot then what went in. The Christian Lattner play has really worked once that I know of, when he did it. That was the first bad play of the sequence. Then when the Mt. Vernon player stole the ball he just throws it back up in the air. Had he secured it, the worst then that happens is he gets fouled with 2 seconds left. The best thing that happens is time runs out. Either way, he doesn't allow for that shot to even get taken.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
who is the T? the way he ducked, did he get hit by someone/something?
He covered up after someone ran into him. I've met the guy also back in my CHSAA days. Nice guy to me when I was still a freshman/JV official.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Please note that the rule is to go by the lights when they are present.
I think that the lights come on prior to the release.
Perhaps JetMet or someone with good video editing software can capture the video and post a still photo. I tried to use freeze frame with around 30 seconds left in the clip. Tough to tell for sure.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 04:03pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Perhaps JetMet or someone with good video editing software can capture the video and post a still photo. I tried to use freeze frame with around 30 seconds left in the clip. Tough to tell for sure.
Yeah — it is REALLY close. You can't tell one way or another from the YouTube video — would be great to be able to view the original HD video ... it's too burry to tell if his hand is still touching the ball or not.

Here are the frames from right before the LEDs come on, right as they are coming on, and then as they are fully on.

Of course, the officials didn't have the benefit of video at all, so I think that real-time, counting this is the way to go!!

Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's why I mentioned earlier that if we're in a gym that has LEDs but we aren't allowed to use video review the LEDs might as well be shut off. It's extremely tough to watch the shot attempt and the lights.

I had it in an NCAAW game this season (no monitor available). Thankfully it was just the end of the half and the shot didn't go in but we talked about it at halftime. We made the decision that whoever had the best look at the LEDs should be the one to blow his whistle when they came on. That would at least help the official handling the attempt.
Old Mon Mar 04, 2013, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did my best. I can't find an HD version of the highlights so this is what I've got. I put together a clip showing pictures of the moment just before the LEDs come on and the moment they actually come on. The actual difference in time is 0.03 seconds. Each pic is up for five seconds.

Last edited by JetMetFan; Mon Mar 04, 2013 at 06:12pm.