The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

certification question

I am curious if an official can be certified in multiple states. I know that it wouldn't be common but I live in a town on the boarder and it got me thinking if someone would have to pick a state or work both.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

I am far from an expert on this, but I do know one official who is certified in both Kansas and Nebraska. I assume that it depends on the states.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Pretty sure Missouri allows you to be a "Reciprocal" member if you are already registered in a bordering state
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
I am curious if an official can be certified in multiple states. I know that it wouldn't be common but I live in a town on the boarder and it got me thinking if someone would have to pick a state or work both.
The answer is yes. I am certified for HS in both NV and CA. I live only a few miles from the state line.
There are separate officials associations, and obviously separate governing bodies. I pay dues to both and attend meetings for both.
The insurance policy happens to be the same, so I only buy that once. Also both groups use the same NFHS test. I just take it online twice.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 11:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Yes you can be licensed (certification means something different here) in two different states. I doubt one state is not going to take your money if you pay them to be licensed. It is just a matter of what another state will require you do do to have a license. Some have reprocity, others have their own process that will not allow reprocity but will allow you to do what others do to get a license. Basically check your local listings.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 11:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yes you can be licensed (certification means something different here) in two different states. I doubt one state is not going to take your money if you pay them to be licensed. It is just a matter of what another state will require you do do to have a license. Some have reprocity, others have their own process that will not allow reprocity but will allow you to do what others do to get a license. Basically check your local listings.

Peace
My dual licensure days ended when my second state decided that reciprocity wasn't enough and that they wanted officials to be fully licensed in *their* state, too.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 11:31pm
Administrator

I have always been registered by the OhioHSAA. When I attended college in Florida I was also registered by the FloridaHSAA. When I lived in California I was registered by the California Bkb. Off. Assn. And, I have been registered by the MichiganHSAA since I moved back to Ohio from California in 1984.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

I work both Md. and W.Va. The funny thing is our board is based in Md. and we are a West Virginia board.

Much like our airport is named for the Maryland City, but it is located in West Virginia...
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

I'm registered with IAABO in NJ but I work nearly all my games in NYC. All NYC/NYS wants is that I have IAABO membership and I attend all the appropriate pre-season meetings in NY.

We have some guys working in NYC who live in PA. I know of at least one guy who lives in MD.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 09:44am
TODO: creative title here

Minnesota has reciprocity with ND, SD, WI, IA, MI, and IL... an official registered in one of those states can become registered in MN by filling out a form and paying a $10 licensing fee. This $10 fee will register the official for all sports that they're registered for in their home state.

I've never had to worry about it... I've never worked a game outside of MN. I would love to, someday, work a basketball or football game in my hometown in Iowa, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

I am registered in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa and work in all three states on a regular basis.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

A few years ago I was broadcasting a game in MN and the officials were from SD.(I live right on the MN/SD border). It turns out I happened to know the officials that night fairly well. One was the guidance counseler/GBB coach for the school in the SD town I lived in(that was the last year of GBB in the fall in SD) and the other official in the 2 man crew was one of the sales staff at our radio stations I worked at. Only night before a game I ever told the coach to be somewhat nice to the officials becuase if he wasn't I"D hear about it the next day from one and maybe two people.(depeneding on if I ran into the guidance counseler while doing my news beat calls)
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
... and attend meetings for both.
Our members are required to make at least 70% of the meetings to be eligible for post season games.

Does either of your associations have anything similar to that?
Richland, WA
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Our members are required to make at least 70% of the meetings to be eligible for post season games.

Does either of your associations have anything similar to that?
In the CA chatper, one must attend 2 of the 3 required meetings and 1 of the 2 clinic dates (same clinic presentation given twice) prior to the season to be a member in good standing. I don't know what happens if you don't as I've never been unable to attend the required number. I would assume that one would not be eligible for postseason, plus probably some other assignments. There were no meetings once the season started, other than a postseason meeting near the end of the season for those invited.

In NV there were four meetings and a preseason clinic. Two of the meetings were preseason and two were during. You needed to attend the clinic to receive assignments in the 1st assigning period. You could miss one of the four meetings without penalty. If you missed 2 or more there was a reduction in future games, but this still did not make you postseason ineligible as I know of a couple of people who missed 2 and still worked in the playoffs.

So it is similar to what you have, but there are a few particular (perhaps peculiar) differences.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Thu Feb 28, 2013 at 08:56am.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2013, 09:04am
NFHS Official

In Oklahoma we don't have to pay any dues at all. To be eligible for the playoffs we have to attend 6 local meetings, and pass part 2 of the test, with at least a 70%