The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Is there such a thing as getting your little league certification for umps?
I live in Indiana and any help for next summer would be great.
thanks in advance
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 11:43am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by ocie
Is there such a thing as getting your little league certification for umps?
I live in Indiana and any help for next summer would be great.
thanks in advance
Welcome to the Board, ocie.
Every year your Local LL Board of Directors gets forms/information sent to them.
mick
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
In Southern Region, umpires are certified on a District level. For the District I work, the criteria is attendance at Umpire 1 (minimum) and Umpire 2 (preferred) Clinics sponsored by Southern Region in St. Pete. These occur on 3 or 4 different weekends During November, December and January. Since local leagues are the lifeblood of LL, you must work 40 games at the local level to qualify for an evaluation. At that point, you are evaluated, and District UIC and Umpire Consultants make the determination to certify you. Little League stresses volunteerism, so you can work as many regular season games as you want without being certified. They need umpires, and if your league deems you to be doing a good job, there are plenty of games for you to do. Our District runs quite a few in-season tourneys, and the local leagues supply one umpire for each game. Some leagues have strong umpire groups, some have zero umpires, so games are always available at those tourneys as well. These are the events that the District Staff Consultants will see your work. The certification is required to work All-Stars i.e. The International Tournament or State Tournament for Minors. Good luck.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to wobster
Certification

If all you are interested in at the time is little league, all we require in our corner of indiana is an AABC certification. This is a $20 charge and you don't have to take a test. Of course, if you don't know the rules, you don't get invited back, but you probably guessed that.

If you are interested in high school ball, you need to get IHSAA certification, which is also accepted by little league. If you are interested in either of these options, let me know and I will forward you the information.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to wobster
Where you at?

Where are you at in Indiana? If you are located near me, I can give you some detailed information.