The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   certification question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94184-certification-question.html)

PaulH Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:03pm

certification question

I am curious if an official can be certified in multiple states. I know that it wouldn't be common but I live in a town on the boarder and it got me thinking if someone would have to pick a state or work both.

Thumper68 Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:13pm

I am far from an expert on this, but I do know one official who is certified in both Kansas and Nebraska. I assume that it depends on the states.

Nikki Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:22pm

Pretty sure Missouri allows you to be a "Reciprocal" member if you are already registered in a bordering state

Nevadaref Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulH (Post 881889)
I am curious if an official can be certified in multiple states. I know that it wouldn't be common but I live in a town on the boarder and it got me thinking if someone would have to pick a state or work both.

The answer is yes. I am certified for HS in both NV and CA. I live only a few miles from the state line.
There are separate officials associations, and obviously separate governing bodies. I pay dues to both and attend meetings for both.
The insurance policy happens to be the same, so I only buy that once. Also both groups use the same NFHS test. I just take it online twice.

JRutledge Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:11pm

Yes you can be licensed (certification means something different here) in two different states. I doubt one state is not going to take your money if you pay them to be licensed. It is just a matter of what another state will require you do do to have a license. Some have reprocity, others have their own process that will not allow reprocity but will allow you to do what others do to get a license. Basically check your local listings.

Peace

Rich Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 881901)
Yes you can be licensed (certification means something different here) in two different states. I doubt one state is not going to take your money if you pay them to be licensed. It is just a matter of what another state will require you do do to have a license. Some have reprocity, others have their own process that will not allow reprocity but will allow you to do what others do to get a license. Basically check your local listings.

Peace

My dual licensure days ended when my second state decided that reciprocity wasn't enough and that they wanted officials to be fully licensed in *their* state, too.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:31pm

I have always been registered by the OhioHSAA. When I attended college in Florida I was also registered by the FloridaHSAA. When I lived in California I was registered by the California Bkb. Off. Assn. And, I have been registered by the MichiganHSAA since I moved back to Ohio from California in 1984.

MTD, Sr.

Terrapins Fan Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:49pm

I work both Md. and W.Va. The funny thing is our board is based in Md. and we are a West Virginia board.

Much like our airport is named for the Maryland City, but it is located in West Virginia...

JetMetFan Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:37am

I'm registered with IAABO in NJ but I work nearly all my games in NYC. All NYC/NYS wants is that I have IAABO membership and I attend all the appropriate pre-season meetings in NY.

We have some guys working in NYC who live in PA. I know of at least one guy who lives in MD.

jTheUmp Tue Feb 26, 2013 09:44am

Minnesota has reciprocity with ND, SD, WI, IA, MI, and IL... an official registered in one of those states can become registered in MN by filling out a form and paying a $10 licensing fee. This $10 fee will register the official for all sports that they're registered for in their home state.

I've never had to worry about it... I've never worked a game outside of MN. I would love to, someday, work a basketball or football game in my hometown in Iowa, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

SE Minnestoa Re Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:13am

I am registered in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa and work in all three states on a regular basis.

paulsonj72 Wed Feb 27, 2013 02:08am

A few years ago I was broadcasting a game in MN and the officials were from SD.(I live right on the MN/SD border). It turns out I happened to know the officials that night fairly well. One was the guidance counseler/GBB coach for the school in the SD town I lived in(that was the last year of GBB in the fall in SD) and the other official in the 2 man crew was one of the sales staff at our radio stations I worked at. Only night before a game I ever told the coach to be somewhat nice to the officials becuase if he wasn't I"D hear about it the next day from one and maybe two people.(depeneding on if I ran into the guidance counseler while doing my news beat calls)

RookieDude Wed Feb 27, 2013 07:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 881900)
... and attend meetings for both.

Our members are required to make at least 70% of the meetings to be eligible for post season games.

Does either of your associations have anything similar to that?

Nevadaref Thu Feb 28, 2013 08:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 882306)
Our members are required to make at least 70% of the meetings to be eligible for post season games.

Does either of your associations have anything similar to that?

In the CA chatper, one must attend 2 of the 3 required meetings and 1 of the 2 clinic dates (same clinic presentation given twice) prior to the season to be a member in good standing. I don't know what happens if you don't as I've never been unable to attend the required number. I would assume that one would not be eligible for postseason, plus probably some other assignments. There were no meetings once the season started, other than a postseason meeting near the end of the season for those invited.

In NV there were four meetings and a preseason clinic. Two of the meetings were preseason and two were during. You needed to attend the clinic to receive assignments in the 1st assigning period. You could miss one of the four meetings without penalty. If you missed 2 or more there was a reduction in future games, but this still did not make you postseason ineligible as I know of a couple of people who missed 2 and still worked in the playoffs.

So it is similar to what you have, but there are a few particular (perhaps peculiar) differences.

OKREF Thu Feb 28, 2013 09:04am

In Oklahoma we don't have to pay any dues at all. To be eligible for the playoffs we have to attend 6 local meetings, and pass part 2 of the test, with at least a 70%