The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Florida 6A Girls Final

After watching a little of Bad Zebra's 7A final, I saw the links for the video to other games and started clicking around watching the last few minutes to other games. The 6A game had a wild ending.

Here's the link to the 7A game: 2013 FHSAA Class 7A Girls Basketball Championship: Buchholtz vs Nova (Event): Florida: PlayOn! Sports

Scroll to the bottom and click on the 6A game, then jump to about 1:34:00 to find the sequence. After green forced OT with a banked in three at the regulation horn, white and green are tied again late in OT, about 2 seconds left. Out of a timeout, green throws a long pass picked off a midcourt. White tries to shoot the 35-footer but is fouled. The new lead has the call from 40 feet away, although the C has a fist up too. No idea how the new lead can have this call, unless she has a block on Green #12. It looks like Green #20 may have fouled her on the arm, and that may be what the C has, but there is no way the lead can have that.

White has 3 FTA with no time on the clock, to make one and win the championship. She makes the first and it should be game over, but it takes the officials a bit to figure that out.

Last edited by APG; Tue Feb 26, 2013 at 01:56pm. Reason: Embedded game
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 12:56pm
AremRed

Regarding the 6A game: I don't see any foul. It looks like the C mirrors the foul call.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe G12 hip checked the shooter.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
After watching a little of Bad Zebra's 7A final, I saw the links for the video to other games and started clicking around watching the last few minutes to other games. The 6A game had a wild ending.

Here's the link to the 7A game: 2013 FHSAA Class 7A Girls Basketball Championship: Buchholtz vs Nova (Event): Florida: PlayOn! Sports

Scroll to the bottom and click on the 6A game, then jump to about 1:34:00 to find the sequence. After green forced OT with a banked in three at the regulation horn, white and green are tied again late in OT, about 2 seconds left. Out of a timeout, green throws a long pass picked off a midcourt. White tries to shoot the 35-footer but is fouled. The new lead has the call from 40 feet away, although the C has a fist up too. No idea how the new lead can have this call, unless she has a block on Green #12. It looks like Green #20 may have fouled her on the arm, and that may be what the C has, but there is no way the lead can have that.

White has 3 FTA with no time on the clock, to make one and win the championship. She makes the first and it should be game over, but it takes the officials a bit to figure that out.
You can also make a case for time expired. Lead was determined to make a call, couldn't wait. At least with C having her fist up, pass the call to her. Weak
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

How the L could see this is a mystery.

How the crew does not know the game is over after the first is a mystery.

The crew did not handle this end of game very well.

I will live and die with no call and 2OT.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Watching the 7A - why did R point direction to start game prior to toss?
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 02:49pm
Official & Member

Here's all I will say. I watched it live. It was truly wild.

I was able to see a replay of the final foul that was called frame by frame. The shooter was clearly fouled by one player and an argument can be made...by a second defender as well.

I won't comment on what occured after the whistle, but it is definitely worthy of discussion. -BZ
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
Watching the 7A - why did R point direction to start game prior to toss?
Reasonably common mechanic. Don't know if it's specifically required / desired in FL.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 03:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post

I was able to see a replay of the final foul that was called frame by frame. The shooter was clearly fouled by one player and an argument can be made...by a second defender as well.

I won't comment on what occured after the whistle, but it is definitely worthy of discussion. -BZ
Well, then we know if jar had been working that game he would have made sure a multiple foul was reported.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 03:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Well, then we know if jar had been working that game he would have made sure a multiple foul was reported.

I mean, what other rules do you think they ignore?
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post

Which player "clearly" committed the foul, #20 or #12? I'm guessing #20, but for the L's sake I hope it was #12.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 04:12pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Which player "clearly" committed the foul, #20 or #12? I'm guessing #20, but for the L's sake I hope it was #12.
Frame by frame showed #20 was the more obvious (as is visible at regular speed replay as well).
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 04:14pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I mean, what other rules do you think they ignore?
Your recently elevated status does not excuse you from signaling your ironic intent in some conventional fashion, e.g.,
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 04:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

I'm not seeing how the Lead has a whistle on this play. The C is right there and the Lead needs to let the C decide whether or not any foul is committed.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

So let me see if I've got this right......in a tied, OT state championship game...a player is obviously fouled in the act of shooting, and people in this thread are criticizing one of the TWO officials who called a foul. The call was correct, but people are criticizing who blew the whistle?

Interesting.