The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 06:18am
Official Forum Member

DVBOA...Phantom travels

The interesting thing about these plays is, unless my eyes are going, they really aren't phantoms. They're close and I'll admit a lot of us wouldn't necessarily catch them but they're all travels.

"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 06:58am
Courageous When Prudent

1st one was a travel. 2nd one I can't tell where he gathered. 3rd was not a travel.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

On #2 the call was on the spin. In the slow-mo I can see A1's pivot come off the floor as he turns.

On #3 A1 catches the ball then his right foot hits the floor, followed by the left then the right again. Again, you really need the slo-mo to tell.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

1) Travel RF was pivot, then he stepped forward with it. Official seemed to call travel for lifting and replacing left foot -- I'm not sure left foot left the ground.

2) Probably not a travel. I think left foot was pivot and didn't come off ground on the spin move.

3) Depends on whether official thinks it was a jump stop. Right foot land just before left, and then there's a step with the right. BY a strict interpretation of the book, it's a travel. If you make some small allowance, it's a jump stop and a legal pivot.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

NONE of these plays were travels. Classic cases of officials not finding the pivot on the catch/gather.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:50am
Do not give a damn!!

I am not convinced that any of these are travels. Certainly not obvious by any means.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am not convinced that any of these are travels. Certainly not obvious by any means.

Peace
Oh, believe me, I know they're not obvious in any way. Heck, on at least one of them I had to watch it full screen twice to see it (I think it was #3). I just wish the "phantom-ness" was a little more apparent.

Last edited by JetMetFan; Sun Feb 24, 2013 at 12:11pm.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Be Sure ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Certainly not obvious by any means.
Agree. If we're not sure, don't call it.

Different situation. Yesterday. Boys prep school. Second half. I'm the trail in a free throw situation. Black is shooting in front of their bench. I look at the table for substitutes. My next look is at the shooter to make sure that he's in his proper place, and then across the lane to make sure that everyone there is in their proper place. My partner, the lead, then bounces the ball to the shooter. In my peripheral vision, I spot a White player "sneaking" back, away from the three point arc. I was pretty sure that he was originally inside the arc, maybe on the far side of the lane, with me getting straight lined by the shooter, but I passed on it because I wasn't sure. Black misses and the Black coach goes nuts. "That's a violation. You have to call it". I yell back to him, "I didn't see it, so I can't call it", thinking, in my mind, that I blew the call. Coach continues to go nuts and I have to T him up, so now I'm doubly pissed at myself that not only did I blow the call, but it led to a technical foul.

After the game, I discus the call with my partner, ready to fall on my sword. My partner tells me that he spotted the White player heading into the lane from behind the three point arc and gave him the stop sign to prevent a violation, and I just saw the aftermath of that, White moving back away from the arc. I didn't blow the call, because I wasn't sure that there was a violation. I thought that there was a violation, but I was never sure.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 25, 2013 at 07:43am.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Oh, believe me, I know they're not obvious in any way. I just think if an association is going to post plays about phantom travels it's probably a good idea to get plays where the "phantom-ness" is a little more apparent.
I think the title was for affect only.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 12:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

All I Ask Of You ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I just wish the "phantom-ness" was a little more apparent.
... and then it wouldn't be a phantom (something apparently seen, heard, or sensed, but having no physical reality).

(I love it when the chandelier crashes.)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 24, 2013 at 12:27pm.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

All three are travels. The only one that is hard to see with the given video angle is the post move.

#1. Ball caught with right foot down and left foot up. The left foot immediately comes down making the right foot the pivot. The right foot is lifted and moved to a new spot. Not a big travel, but a travel.

#2. Ball is caught with his right foot on the floor in the top lane space. He steps forward with his left foot making the right the pivot. The right is the lifted and he steps forward again on the right (the travel) before spinning back to the left.

#3. Ball caught in the air and landed right-left-right. Travel. The landing was close to being simultaneous but it wasn't.

I can see #1 and #3 not being called frequently and I may very well have several of those in my games that go uncalled but that doesn't mean they were not travels, just that they were missed.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
All three are travels. The only one that is hard to see with the given video angle is the post move.

#1. Ball caught with right foot down and left foot up. The left foot immediately comes down making the right foot the pivot. The right foot is lifted and moved to a new spot. Not a big travel, but a travel.

#2. Ball is caught with his right foot on the floor in the top lane space. He steps forward with his left foot making the right the pivot. The right is the lifted and he steps forward again on the right (the travel) before spinning back to the left.

#3. Ball caught in the air and landed right-left-right. Travel. The landing was close to being simultaneous but it wasn't.

I can see #1 and #3 not being called frequently and I may very well have several of those in my games that go uncalled but that doesn't mean they were not travels, just that they were missed.
I'm pitching my tent in this camp... I've got travel in all three. I may not catch them in my games but in this video analysis, yep. I'm working real hard on my travel call accuracy and like the direction I'm going. Find the pivot, find the pivot, find the pivot. In my mind I say "Gather, pivot..."

Last edited by Rooster; Sun Feb 24, 2013 at 02:35pm.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

First one travel.

2nd can't tell as hard to see when control of the ball is gained but the angle on the video no travel.

3rd travel. Easier to see in slow mo then real time but its the right call.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

All three are travels, clearly #2. Would I catch these in a game? I dunno. #3 would be toughest.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
All three are travels, clearly #2. Would I catch these in a game? I dunno. #3 would be toughest.
Of course, some people would say that after you catch the ball to end a dribble you haven't really caught it.