The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 02:29pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Who are you, Socrates? I'm not sure I understand your question. I'm saying the same play occured as in the video except that he only bobbles the ball while he's in the air.

The foul on the shooter does not cause the ball to become dead. I think you would agree. Thus, the only remaining decision is whether the shooter started a second act of shooting. I don't think so.
If you want to talk about the "act of shooting," it ends when the ball is in the air. You've referred to a bobble, which clearly involves the ball in the air. That would mark the end of the "first" act of shooting.

The "first" try ends when it is "certain the throw is unsuccessful." When the player regains control of the "bobbled" ball, it is certain that the "first" throw is unsuccessful. The ball is then dead due to the foul.

There is no "second" try or act of shooting, unless you count the one with a dead ball.

BTW, I fully accept BNR's view that at this level, the rule should be ignored. That does not mean that we all have misinterpreted the rule.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 04:36pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rational Explanation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
If you want to talk about the "act of shooting," it ends when the ball is in the air. You've referred to a bobble, which clearly involves the ball in the air. That would mark the end of the "first" act of shooting. The "first" try ends when it is "certain the throw is unsuccessful." When the player regains control of the "bobbled" ball, it is certain that the "first" throw is unsuccessful. The ball is then dead due to the foul.
Good explanation. Previous to this post, I probably would have have counted the basket.

Questions: "NFHS 4-41: The act of shooting begins simultaneously with the start of the try or tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight." Does the statement "clearly in flight" also refer to a bobble? Is a bobble "clearly" a ball in flight? What if, during a continuous motion situation, the ball handler, after getting fouled, and becoming an airborne shooter, switches the ball from one hand, to the other, with, at some point, the ball being airborne between the two hands?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 24, 2013 at 06:17pm.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

This should not have counted at any level IMO.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

Some interpreters see NFHS 4-41-1: "The act of shooting begins simultaneously with the start of the try or tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight, and includes the airborne shooter," (italics added) when considered with 4-1-2 . . ."The airborne shooterr is considered to be in the act of shooting." to mean that even when the shooter's hand has momentarily lost contact with the ball, the act of shooting is continued until the shooter is no longer airborne.
It's a simplistic view, used to validate the reasoning that on such a play, the basket should count.

Last edited by Rob1968; Mon Feb 25, 2013 at 01:25am. Reason: double typed reference
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 01:31am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Some interpreters see NFHS 4-41-1: "The act of shooting begins simultaneously with the start of the try or tap and ends when the ball is clearly in flight, and includes the airborne shooter," (italics added) when considered with 4-1-2 . . ."The airborne shooterr is considered to be in the act of shooting." to mean that even when the shooter's hand has momentarily lost contact with the ball, the act of shooting is continued until the shooter is no longer airborne.
It's a simplistic view, used to validate the reasoning that on such a play, the basket should count.
Does this mean (when these two things are taken together), the "act of shooting" equals "try" or "tap"? I thought they were separate?
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

That is the simplistic inference of such an interpretation. Although, our discussions, here, indicate a contrary opinion.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 08:58am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
"Good call fellas"

NCAA supervisors do not want this shot waved off.
While I understand that, I sure do like Walter's rant in the Big Lebowski about the rules.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 09:00am
Courageous When Prudent

My advice to anybody who has this in a college try out camp: count the basket. College mentality is that this is a great athletic and strong play by A1 and he is going to get rewarded for playing through the foul.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 09:01am
Archaic Power Monger

Serious question, would you count it at the HS level?
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 09:01am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
While I understand that, I sure do like Walter's rant in the Big Lebowski about the rules.
Just as importantly college coaches want this basket counted.

And they write the rules.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My advice to anybody who has this in a college try out camp: count the basket. College mentality is that this is a great athletic and strong play by A1 and he is going to get rewarded for playing through the foul.
NBA's reasoning as well for counting the basket and I tend to agree with both of their reasoning
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 09:06am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Yes. In a heartbeat.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 09:07am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Just as importantly college coaches want this basket counted.

And they write the rules.
Calling under NCAA rules in football and trying to keep up with the variety of philosophies that sometimes conflict directly with the rules, I certainly get it.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:10am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Calling under NCAA rules in football and trying to keep up with the variety of philosophies that sometimes conflict directly with the rules, I certainly get it.
I know you do.

It's some other folks here who only look at the black and white of the rule book and think the game is being damaged if certain areas or "levels" have practical applications that don't always stick to the exact letter of the law.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:16am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Yes I would and I'm sure I've done so in the past.