The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 01:11pm
Official & Member

Post Mortem

Well, this one is in the books. We made it through without any major gaffes or bad calls. As Rut said...we didn't FIU. FRom a personal standpoint, I was pretty distracted to start because of all the off court stuff we had to contend with beyond a normal game:
-TV Cameras on top of us at both endlines
-Cheerleaders crowding one endline
-Media time out procedure
-Visible and close proximity to the evaluator
-Instructed to get very close to table when reporting due to noise level

Couple all those with a big venue, dozens of media surrounding the court, super bright lighting and you've got a real pressure cooker. It took me most of the first half to settle and get comfortable. I was in a pretty foul mood at halftime but we all calmed down and finished strong, I think. My partners did a good job keeping their s*it together and we all kind of regrouped and adapted. I've earned a new respect for D1 guys that do it nightly.

The play itself was good and easy to call. The players were great and responsive...2 pt. game at half time but the better team pulled away and won by 15 or so. The talent level really made it easy to call. Each team had a D1 commit and they really stepped up and performed. Pretty impressive way for kids to respond, really. I'm sure they felt the same pressures we did (and more).

I had a few mechanical flaws in the first half...I'll attribute to nerves. Calling the play was the easiest part. The initial feedback was positive...our first evaluator noted some transitional contact that we let players play through, but I suspect the official evaluator may differ.

All in all, it was a great experience. I'd gladly do it again as I think I'd improve knowing what to expect. Thanks again for all the well wishes. Hope all of you that haven't yet will get to experience that environment at some point. I'll check this one off the bucket list.
Old Sun Feb 24, 2013, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Well, this one is in the books. We made it through without any major gaffes or bad calls.....
Glad you had a good time....firsts like that can certainly raise your anxiety and it sounds like you got it under control and were successful. Hope there are more to come!
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 11:38am
Travel, Offside & Strike!

Sounds like it was a great experience BZ. Congrats on making it there!
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 12:06pm
Back from the DL

First and foremost, congrats to BZ, and thanks for sharing.

This struck me the most curious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
-Media time out procedure
I'd like to more about this facet. Before I took up officiating, I became a sideline reporter for our public TV network's coverage (my 12th year), so I'm something of a double agent.

We don't do media time-outs. We only take breaks between quarters and halftime. What's the format?
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 12:34pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
First and foremost, congrats to BZ, and thanks for sharing.

This struck me the most curious...

I'd like to more about this facet. Before I took up officiating, I became a sideline reporter for our public TV network's coverage (my 12th year), so I'm something of a double agent.

We don't do media time-outs. We only take breaks between quarters and halftime. What's the format?
Check your PM for specifics. Essentially, the first stoppage of play below 4:00 in each quarter triggered a media time out. Not especially complicated...but it was something new and additional to worry about getting right on top of everything else.
Old Mon Feb 25, 2013, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

What? No video?

Dang.

Sounds like a job well done, BZ!
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Bad Zebra,

Congrats, that's what it's all about.

Ragarding your comments about all the extra stuff (related to TV and bright lights), I've had that experience and it can be overwhelming at first. You are right about the NCAA Division I officials, it's not just making the call but also managing everything else. I'm going to the AUS Men's Tournament this weekend (you canucks will know what that is) and it's played in an arena setting with televised games. It won't be my first time at that site but it is my first championship. It is the biggest appointment I've received so far. I'm quite excited.

In watching the video, it seemed that the officials were not always switching after fouls. As a FIBA official, I'm not familiar with NFHS mechanics.
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 07:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

I Wear My Sunglasses At Night ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Regarding your comments about all the extra stuff, related bright lights, I've had that experience and it can be overwhelming at first.
I once worked a AAU "game" during a McDonald's High School All American Game halftime intermission at the Hartford (CT) Civic Center (now the XL Center). The bright lights were definitely distracting. It was the first thing that I noticed as I stepped onto the court. I really wished that I had taken the time to put on my makeup that morning.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 10:00pm
#thereferee99

which one are you?

BZ, watching the game on YouTube.
All of the officials are remarkably good looking!
Which one are you?
Old Tue Feb 26, 2013, 10:10pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
What? No video?

Dang.

Sounds like a job well done, BZ!
I posted that link early in the thread. He was U1, btw. Plus, there is a link on another thread.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2013, 07:34am
Esteemed Forum Member

When Did The Forum Turn Into Match.com ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
All of the officials are remarkably good looking! Which one are you?
Get a room.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 27, 2013 at 07:47am.