The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Congrats to Bad Zebra! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94120-congrats-bad-zebra.html)

26 Year Gap Wed Feb 20, 2013 07:38pm

Congrats to Bad Zebra!

He was selected to officiate the Florida 7A Girls final in Lakeland. This is the second largest classification in the state.

JRutledge Wed Feb 20, 2013 07:46pm

And "Atta Boy" for you BZ. Have a blast.

Peace

OKREF Wed Feb 20, 2013 07:47pm

Awesome. Congratulations.

Welpe Wed Feb 20, 2013 08:02pm

Must not be too bad then. :)

Congrats!

And 7A is the second largest classification?!

26 Year Gap Wed Feb 20, 2013 08:08pm

8A is the largest. They went from 6 to 8 last year.

Triad zebra Wed Feb 20, 2013 08:21pm

Congrats BZ... Best of luck and HAVE FUN!!!

JRutledge Wed Feb 20, 2013 08:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 880795)
8A is the largest. They went from 6 to 8 last year.

How many schools do you guys have competing. They went to 4 classes from 2 and people here go nuts about how watered down the tournament has become. And everyone here makes the playoffs or plays in post season.

Peace

Camron Rust Wed Feb 20, 2013 08:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 880807)
How many schools do you guys have competing. They went to 4 classes from 2 and people here go nuts about how watered down the tournament has become. And everyone here makes the playoffs or plays in post season.

Peace

And in Oregon, they went from 4 to 6 about 5 years ago. Oregon doesn't need 6 classes. 4 would be fine. There are only about 280 high schools in Oregon and they stack about 80 of the smallest schools in the 1A class and about 40 each in of the other 5 classes.

Soft of a combination between an every one gets a trophy mentality and believing that everyone in a class must have nearly equal enrollment to be fair.

26 Year Gap Wed Feb 20, 2013 08:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 880807)

Peace

I would have to look it up, but there are 16 districts in each class, with the possible exception of 1A. Most districts contain 4-8 schools, although more have 4 or 5 than 8 or more. Each region has four districts and the regionals determine who goes to the state semis in Lakeland. There was more clamoring at the lower end of the scale and 1A is supposed to be 'rural' school category. The district tournaments are not as much of an event with only 4 or 5 schools instead of 7-9.

Raymond Wed Feb 20, 2013 09:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 880794)
Must not be too bad then. :)

Congrats!

And 7A is the second largest classification?!

Virginia only has 5 public school classifications, 6 starting next year, and 3 for private schools.

26 Year Gap Wed Feb 20, 2013 09:03pm

This is the link to watch on Saturday at 5 pm or so.
2013 FHSAA Class 7A Girls Basketball Finals (Event): Florida: PlayOn! Sports

Bad Zebra Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:37pm

Thank you all. Take pride in the fact that I consider this forum an element of the success I've had with my schedule the past couple years. This will be the biggest game of my career. I'm pretty confident but a little bit...let's say...anxious.

Just gotta remember to...breathe.

JRutledge Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 880825)
Thank you all. Take pride in the fact that I consider this forum an element of the success I've had with my schedule the past couple years. This will be the biggest game of my career. I'm pretty confident but a little bit...let's say...anxious.

Just gotta remember to...breathe.

I got this advice that I have taken with me each time I worked a State Final and I am sure it will help you. When you get to the court (or field), look around to where you are. Smell the coffee for a minute or two and realize you are at the State Finals. Then get to the job at hand. It is just another game but more people are watching. Have fun and DFIU!!! ;)

Peace

VaTerp Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:02pm

Congrats.

As our Vice President would say thats a Big Fn Deal!

BktBallRef Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 880810)
... believing that everyone in a class must have nearly equal enrollment to be fair.

That's not an unfair assessment.

In NC, our 1A schools' enrollment ranges from less than 100 students to 650+. Our 4A schools range from 1300 to 3000 students. That's definitely an unlevel playing field, even more so in football.

Congrats Bad Zebra!