The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 09:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Playoff conversation???

I was wondering if others do the same thing we do around here. As it has been stated before by me, our state does assignments from IHSA office. And as a result a lot of conversation or talk is about what will happen with those assignments, either personally or what will happen with others. I was wondering if officials on this site or it is common that you (or a social group of you) try to figure out who is going where and where they might be going? We also have "unofficial" websites that track where officials are going in both football and basketball and people spend a lot of time either tracking or trying to figure out what might happen. I was just wondering is that common or do people not care?

Peace
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 10:18pm
NFHS Official

Oklahoma..

The state association assigns all playoff officials. First round games (District) the coaches submit a list of 15 names and each three team district gets 2 off the list if possible. The only input we have on where we go is we can scratch schools if we have a conflict. After the first round, the association could send you anywhere.

Our assignments for this Thursday-Saturday came out today. We have no idea where or if we are going until we get the email from the arbiter site. We talk and speculate, but really have no idea. On Tuesday, the association puts up a link on arbiter which shows every site and the two, or three guys going to call the games. Schools and officials can access this info. There is also a link that show every eligible playoff official, which also contains there rating as well.

Last edited by OKREF; Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 10:21pm.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 10:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I was wondering if others do the same thing we do around here. As it has been stated before by me, our state does assignments from IHSA office. And as a result a lot of conversation or talk is about what will happen with those assignments, either personally or what will happen with others. I was wondering if officials on this site or it is common that you (or a social group of you) try to figure out who is going where and where they might be going? We also have "unofficial" websites that track where officials are going in both football and basketball and people spend a lot of time either tracking or trying to figure out what might happen. I was just wondering is that common or do people not care?

Peace
Here everything other than the state semis and finals is posted for any official to see.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 10:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Here everything other than the state semis and finals is posted for any official to see.
We see who are partners are, but we do not necessarily see who is working in places we are not working personally. That information is tracked by websites. It is not really a secret because people tell everyone where they are working.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 10:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

State officials here are selected by the VHSL. Only those officials plus the commissioners are privy to assignments.

District and regional assignments are made by commissioners.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 11:50pm.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

We were told today who made the list for post season assignments, I was blessed to make the list, not sure I will get an assignment, it depends on when and where the games are.

The board names the top 15 officials ( in Alpha order ) for regional games. And we had 8 qualify for Md. state tourney and 3 for W.Va state tourney.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 11:35pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
We were told today who made the list for post season assignments, I was blessed to make the list, not sure I will get an assignment, it depends on when and where the games are.

The board names the top 15 officials ( in Alpha order ) for regional games. And we had 8 qualify for Md. state tourney and 3 for W.Va state tourney.
I've had the honor of 5 postseason assignments so far. 2 district and 3 Regionals. We still have three more weeks to go. Small school state tournament is in 2 weeks with the big schools the following.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

California Interscholastic Federation Southern Section-
Assignments are handled by the section office.Very rarely will an official get to work a game in his/her home area.For example our school is part of the Inland Unit of the Southern California Basketball Officials Association:I have seen officials from the following areas get our playoff games at home:Foothill-Citrus,Desert Valley,Orange County,South Orange County,and San Gabriel.We had the same crew out of San Gabriel in the quarters two years in a row.

Last edited by SCalScoreKeeper; Sun Feb 17, 2013 at 11:53pm.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 11:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

We get an email from our local association encouraging everyone to show up and support those officials who have received playoff assignments.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 12:14am
Archaic Power Monger

As I understand it, here coaches pick officials (don't get me started on that) up to the state tournament. The UIL selects officials for the state tournament and I'm not sure what their selection process is.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
As I understand it, here coaches pick officials (don't get me started on that) ...

Makes me want to go back to Oklahoma.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
In the St. Louis area I can’t say that officials spend a lot time speculating or discussing playoff assignments prior to them coming out. It is not that officials don’t care; it would nothing more than an exercise in futility trying to guess anything.

From the sectional level and beyond the assignments are handled by the State Activities office. Very little information is available regarding the process and any speculation would be just that, speculation.

After the fact is a different story. There is the usual moaning and groaning about who got what assignment or didn’t get an assignment. Which I am sure goes on most everywhere.

From what I can tell Illinois has a more structured process and the progression through it seems more logical. In Missouri it is not uncommon for an official of seven or eight years make it to the finals. Based on what I know about Illinois that would extremely improbable.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

This year Indiana has changed from the 100% coaches vote to 50% vote. The other 50% is made up of previous tournament experience, years of licensure, number of contests worked, test score (part II) and Association attendace.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 03:37pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekent View Post

Makes me want to go back to Oklahoma.
It's an ugly system, especially in this area.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
It's an ugly system, especially in this area.
In this area? Does it even vary between different areas of Texas? (assuming the same group UIL or TASO)