The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 03:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The coach says the team is getting homered?

Whackerooni. No doubt. He's calling your INTEGRITY into question.
That's the answer that matched this scenario....NO DOUBT....

Homered=Cheating...in my book. Whack!

And we did discuss it after the game over refreshments...but, there wasn't any laughing about it. A Coach tells me our crew is cheating...I don't take that lightly. Integrity is all we have, at the end of the day.

I will say the Coach had some class when asked by a reporter what happened...he said it wasn't the officials fault he lost, he said his team just didn't play good defense and they weren't shooting well.
Richland, WA
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 06:08am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
That's the answer that matched this scenario....NO DOUBT....

Homered=Cheating...in my book. Whack!

And we did discuss it after the game over refreshments...but, there wasn't any laughing about it. A Coach tells me our crew is cheating...I don't take that lightly. Integrity is all we have, at the end of the day.

I will say the Coach had some class when asked by a reporter what happened...he said it wasn't the officials fault he lost, he said his team just didn't play good defense and they weren't shooting well.
I have been having a hard time with the whole technical foul thing. I really like who almost all of you decide whether to give a T or not. It is really just business, no hard feelings, no skin off your back, it helps improve the game. It really seems as if most of the guys in my association are too frugal with them and hardly ever give them at. 1-2 per year if that. I know the coaches and players aren't that well behaved. I really feel like if I were to give a T for the above comment, I don't know that my association would agree with me. I think it is totally justified. Does anyone else have this issue with their association?
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
I have been having a hard time with the whole technical foul thing. I really like who almost all of you decide whether to give a T or not. It is really just business, no hard feelings, no skin off your back, it helps improve the game. It really seems as if most of the guys in my association are too frugal with them and hardly ever give them at. 1-2 per year if that. I know the coaches and players aren't that well behaved. I really feel like if I were to give a T for the above comment, I don't know that my association would agree with me. I think it is totally justified. Does anyone else have this issue with their association?
Everyone who is newer (and I apologize if my impression is incorrect) struggles with this issue.
Old Sun Feb 17, 2013, 11:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Everyone who is newer (and I apologize if my impression is incorrect) struggles with this issue.
There are veterans that struggle with this too. It is one of the hardest parts of what we do bacause we hear so much stuff it is hard to decide which is the proper way to handle these things all the time. And every coach is so different in how they handle things or respond, it is just hard to come up with a one-size-fits-all standard.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
I really feel like if I were to give a T for the above comment, I don't know that my association would agree with me. I think it is totally justified. Does anyone else have this issue with their association?
Sorry it took so long to get back to you with an answer/comment. I've been kind of busy this week-end and have not had a chance to check in here...

In regards to the T given to the Coach for his comment in the OP...

an up and coming official e-mailed me the day after and said he was sitting with our assigner at the game.

He stated that our assigner told him, just 1 minute prior to my T, that the coach was going to get whacked.

So... to answer your question...no issues in this part of Rome.

Edit: I realize that our assignor could not have heard the comment...so he was talking about behavior...So, with the coaches behavior AND the comment I'm glad I did not let him slide. I must say that personally I had not really had a problem with the coach...so it must have been a sort of sense I had that he needed to get whacked.
Richland, WA

Last edited by RookieDude; Mon Feb 18, 2013 at 11:01pm.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 11:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Personally, it's a no brainer for me. Like I said upthread, it's a direct assault on the crew's integrity and I'm not going to waste time giving warnings or ignoring such tripe.

I'm not the fastest T in the west, but I rarely let one slide that I feel later I should've gotten.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure I'd T him the first time, depending on how loud he said it. If he was intentionally saying it loud enough for me to 'overhear' I might go for it, but if it's a blowout and he's on the losing end I'm not usually one to add to the mess and give him something else to complain about. In which case I'd let him know on no uncertain terms that he's got no place questioning my integrity before whacking him.
Old Mon Feb 18, 2013, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Personally, it's a no brainer for me. Like I said upthread, it's a direct assault on the crew's integrity and I'm not going to waste time giving warnings or ignoring such tripe.

I'm not the fastest T in the west, but I rarely let one slide that I feel later I should've gotten.
No brainer for me too. I wouldn't think twice about sticking him for this comment.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
R is running by bench as Coach says it loud enough for the official to here it.
Who else can hear it?
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
Who else can hear it?
With that comment, I personally don't care who hears it. If I hear it, that's enough.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
With that comment, I personally don't care who hears it. If I hear it, that's enough.
Yep...
Richland, WA
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Quote:
Yep...
I'm inclined to agree, but without actually experiencing exactly what happened, I can't say I'd 100% whack him on the spot.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
I'm inclined to agree, but without actually experiencing exactly what happened, I can't say I'd 100% whack him on the spot.
...then I would say you 100% don't mind being called a cheater.

(I hear you...and you are not alone in your thinking)
Richland, WA
Old Tue Feb 19, 2013, 02:49am
Official Forum Member

I was in a game early this year in the town of Kenai, Alaska. Coach from out of town didn't like a call on an illegal screen by one of my partners. After the call, partner had a quick chance to explain the call and he did. A moment later, I was in front of the coach and he was still complaining about this call, and dropped the comment, "That's just a homer call." I said to the coach, "No Coach, that was a Kenai call. Homer is about 90 miles down the road. Which is a true statement. Homer, Alaska is another town about 90 miles south of Kenai. Coach just chuckled a little and sat down.

As far as what others have said about coach challenging the integrity of the crew, or any member of the crew, I agree that we have to work together and protect each other. Had one this weekend where there was a scramble for the ball right in front of the visitor's bench. Partner called it out on the visitors. As I went to administer the throw in in front of the V bench, coach say, "You really need to help your partner out on that one." I whack him. He then asks why I he got the T for "only" saying that. I said, "Well, which one of us are you saying screwed you on that call." After a brief pause, and silence from him, I said, "Neither answer would be acceptable." That was the third T of the game. Already had tagged the home coach and a home player.