The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "We're getting HOME'erd!" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94061-were-getting-homeerd.html)

RookieDude Sat Feb 16, 2013 03:03pm

"We're getting HOME'erd!"

Regional Championship game...whatta ya got?

Hypothetical situation, of course...;)

R is running by bench as Coach says it loud enough for the official to here it.

rockyroad Sat Feb 16, 2013 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 879841)
Regional Championship game...whatta ya got?

Hypothetical situation, of course...;)

R is running by bench as Coach says it loud enough for the official to here it.

Choices...1) Ignore. 2) Warn. 3) Whack. 4) Laugh about it with partners over post game beverages.

There are, of course, several possible combinations of the above...

So, which did you do?

OKREF Sat Feb 16, 2013 03:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 879842)
Choices...1) Ignore. 2) Warn. 3) Whack. 4) Laugh about it with partners over post game beverages.

There are, of course, several possible combinations of the above...

So, which did you do?

Probably 1 and 4 for me. But possibly 3, depending on what has happened with the coach previously in the game.

RookieDude Sat Feb 16, 2013 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 879842)

So, which did you do?

I'm going to hold off answering...I would like to see a few more responses.

I will tell you that at least one of your "choices" is what would happen in this "hypothetical".

RookieDude Sat Feb 16, 2013 03:45pm

Wwjrd

WWJRD

What Would Jurassic Referee Do?

JugglingReferee Sat Feb 16, 2013 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 879845)
WWJRD

What Would Jurassic Referee Do?

If the coach was already warned, he'd likely whack. JR didn't believe in multiple warnings. :)

JRutledge Sat Feb 16, 2013 04:13pm

I would add another option for me at least. Confront the coach about the comment directly if you are standing right there. I guess that is warning, but if I did not have to yell I would likely say something.

Peace

just another ref Sat Feb 16, 2013 05:11pm

It's like a lot of other comments, as much how it was said as what was actually said. If it's directed at nobody in particular, just musing aloud to oneself, I'd probably ignore it. (the same tone as a person saying "Oh, no! I can't believe it's raining again.) If it was in an angry tone obviously directed at me, it could be worth a whack.

Mark Padgett Sat Feb 16, 2013 06:45pm

I had a coach yell that at me once. Of course, this guy was my partner. D'oh!

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...szvRFBGk8OrSJ8

rockyroad Sat Feb 16, 2013 06:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 879849)
I would add another option for me at least. Confront the coach about the comment directly if you are standing right there. I guess that is warning, but if I did not have to yell I would likely say something.

Peace

True...OP did say that the official was running past the bench when it was said, so that's not really an option at the moment. Next dead ball maybe, or when we come back down to his end. Personally not a big fan of ignoring comments like that from a coach...so I would either warn or whack.

Adam Sat Feb 16, 2013 07:15pm

I'm likely to stick him. If not, the warning would be extremely clear.

Rich Sat Feb 16, 2013 07:15pm

The coach says the team is getting homered?

Whackerooni. No doubt. He's calling your INTEGRITY into question.

bob jenkins Sat Feb 16, 2013 07:55pm

"Coach, I'll be glad to answer your question about a call, but I will not put up with any further comments along those lines."

(assuming nothing has been said so far, and the coach has been reasonably well behaved)

tomegun Sun Feb 17, 2013 02:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 879849)

Peace

I had this happen over Christmas. An out of town coach was saying something - basically that we were cheating for a Vegas team. I addressed it immediately and the coach thought he should have a parting shot by repeating a variation of the same. Technical foul.

JRutledge Sun Feb 17, 2013 02:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 879942)
I had this happen over Christmas. An out of town coach was saying something - basically that we were cheating for a Vegas team. I addressed it immediately and the coach thought he should have a parting shot by repeating a variation of the same. Technical foul.

I wonder who that coach was? Hmmmmmmmmmm :D

BTW, that same coach got stuck in a Christmas tournament here too for a similar comment. Well that is if we are talking about the same guy. I wonder who that would be? :D

Peace