The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 14, 2013, 02:54pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauzer714 View Post
If he/she intentionally pushed the ball to the back court, it is control. The ball went where the player intended.

Over and Back
I'm betting you don't have a rule book.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2013, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
That's a nice, generic use of the word "control", but it is not the basketball definition of "control".

If you're going to use your definition of control, then we would have to say the initial tap by the jumper established team control.
The rule book does say that no player control exists during a jump ball. The player may not have 'control' but the team does. A team has the control during a pass. I would argue a 'controlled tip' is absolutely a pass. Ball location in 4.4.2 puts the 'location' of the ball in the FC, then control tipped (passed) to a teammate in the BC. Thus, O&B.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2013, 02:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The rule book does say that no player control exists during a jump ball. The player may not have 'control' but the team does. A team has the control during a pass. I would argue a 'controlled tip' is absolutely a pass. Ball location in 4.4.2 puts the 'location' of the ball in the FC, then control tipped (passed) to a teammate in the BC. Thus, O&B.
It also says no "team control" exists during the jump ball. How does team control get established? When a player establishes player control or when the ball is placed at his disposal for a FT or TI. None of those events has occurred yet.

TC has not been established.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2013, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If he/she intentionally pushed the ball to the back court, it is control. The ball went where the player intended.

Over and Back
The only time I would try and gather intent was if I was debating between intentional flagrant foul and a simple intentional foul.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2013, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You cannot establish team control without having player control. Ball gets tipped on the jump ball there is no player or team control until a player first gets control.

A tip and a pass are two different things. Simply batting a ball does not constitute control. If the ball comes to rest (palming) and the player throws the ball like most would a baseball then that's different. That is not a bat or a tip.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2013, 02:26pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
If there is no control to start with, how in the world can there suddenly be team control without there ever being any player control?? And to establish player control, there are very definite requirements...and tipping the ball does not meet those requirements.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2013, 02:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

There's No Judge In Judgment ...

Quote:
I would argue a 'controlled tip' is absolutely a pass.
During the controlled tip would you grant a request for a timeout? Whether player control exists during a controlled tip, or not, is a judgment call, and that's why we get paid the big bucks, at least here in the Constitution State.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 16, 2013, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
The only time I would try and gather intent was if I was debating between intentional flagrant foul and a simple intentional foul.
Sigh, which does not exist, but don't let that stop you from giving advice.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2013, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You could argue that all you want and you would still be incorrect.
No backcourt violation is possible until a player, who is inbounds, either holds or dribbles the ball. There is nothing else to this.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2013, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Good points were definitely made here. I think you guys are right. I do stand corrected, this is not o&b.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2013, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Typed to fast - flagrant v. intentional. But that won't stop one member from being a nitpicking twit.
Old Sat Feb 16, 2013, 06:58pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Typed to fast - flagrant v. intentional. But that won't stop one member from being a nitpicking twit.
Interestingly enough, those nitpicking twits are usually the ones that get things handled properly when the sh!t hits the fan in a game.