The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Over and back??? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94036-over-back.html)

imaxfli Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:22pm

Over and back???

On game start jump ball....ball is tipped to frontcourt to player where he control tips it to backcourt to teammate..is this over and back???? I say yes.

#olderthanilook Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:37pm

You posted this using your smart phone, didn't you?

Adam Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by imaxfli (Post 879416)
On game start jump ball....ball is tipped to frontcourt to player where he control tips it to backcourt to teammate..is this over and back???? I say yes.

There's no such thing as a "control tip." If he didn't hold it, he didn't have control, thus a legal play.

PG_Ref Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:42pm

Quote:

What needs to happen for there to be a backcourt violation? Also, look at rule 4-12.

Rule 4-12

ART. 6

Neither team control nor player control exists during a dead ball, a jump ball or when the ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal

rekent Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 879426)
Neither team control nor player control exists during a dead ball, a jump ball or when the ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal

But the "jump ball" ended when it was touched by a non-jumper. 6-3-8.

PG_Ref Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 879427)

True ... but I wasn't trying to suggest that as the only criteria. Just an extra little caveat.

Adam Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 879427)

True, but when does control get established?

APG Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:50pm

I wouldn't have a backcourt violation.

rekent Thu Feb 14, 2013 01:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 879430)
True, but when does control get established?

I wasn't trying to imply there'd be a backcourt, I say tip is not enough for control.

Adam Thu Feb 14, 2013 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 879444)
I wasn't trying to imply there'd be a backcourt, I say tip is not enough for control.

I was simply pointing out the intent behind PG's reference.

bauzer714 Thu Feb 14, 2013 01:48pm

If he/she intentionally pushed the ball to the back court, it is control. The ball went where the player intended.

Over and Back

APG Thu Feb 14, 2013 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bauzer714 (Post 879454)
If he/she intentionally pushed the ball to the back court, it is control. The ball went where the player intended.

Over and Back

Intent has nothing to do with it...players intentionally bat rebounds into the backcourt all the time and no one would imagine calling a backcourt violation there if a teammate were to recover the ball (and rightfully so).

The only question is as to whether there is player control or not is whether the player was dribbling (no pertinent in this play) or holding the ball.

rockyroad Thu Feb 14, 2013 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bauzer714 (Post 879454)

Over and Back

That's a nice, generic use of the word "control", but it is not the basketball definition of "control".

If you're going to use your definition of control, then we would have to say the initial tap by the jumper established team control.

MD Longhorn Thu Feb 14, 2013 01:56pm

"Control Tip" LOL.... like "Slap bunt" in softball. Two words, mutually exclusive, jammed together to describe something near the border of both.

A slap is not a bunt - it is a type of hit. A bunt cannot be a slap.

A tip is not a type of control - it is the absence of control. Control means possession, and cannot be a tip.

maven Thu Feb 14, 2013 02:19pm

Quote:

Tips, no. Catches and passes, yes.