The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

The toss was too high...

The only other comment I would have is that starting so low will be problematic for bigger players. They will have an easier opportunity to steal the toss.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
With the NCAA telling its officials to use a stop-clock mechanic on OOB calls, there's no reason a JV HS official doesn't do that automatically.

I have no idea who this association gives the OOB call to above the FT line in the frontcourt. I'm still a fan of the L taking the line all the way down and working out there when the ball is near the line. The L didn't move -- I have no idea if he's expected to there..
Concerning the stop-clock mechanic, this year Oregon adopted the optional directional point without the open hand in the air first. Ironically, the same year NCAA emphasizes their officials to use more of the stop clock mechanic?!(Side note, I don't believe this game is played in Oregon)

OOB call-every year our association swaps officials with a neighboring association during preseason tournaments one weekend to strengthen numbers, work with other officials, teams, etc. The neighboring assoc. calls OOB lines in front court, T's primary much like you see on this video. I have considered the pro's and con's to this but am interested in what others think?
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:21am
Archaic Power Monger

The other thing I failed to mention, I was guilty of doing this same thing my first year or two. Nice, straight tosses but way too high. Only once or twice did my partner blow it back and there was one I had to blow back myself.

I've gotten quite a bit better at tossing since then but it's still not my favorite.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
The other thing I failed to mention, I was guilty of doing this same thing my first year or two. Nice, straight tosses but way too high. Only once or twice did my partner blow it back and there was one I had to blow back myself.

I've gotten quite a bit better at tossing since then but it's still not my favorite.
Why would you blow a toss back for being too high?

Last edited by Welpe; Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 10:25am.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Is there some rule that when the guy who threw the toss is in the L he absolutely cannot move from his spot alnog the endline? It looks like he's set in cement.

I'm also trying to figure out why there was a shot-clock reset at the 3:54 mark.

All this for these guys and a shot clock, too. I can only imagine the fun that causes during a JV game.

My hope is some nice, veteran official shows them this clip and goes over the myriad of areas where they need improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Probably because 3.2.1B-4 in the Officials' Manual says the R should "toss the ball slightly higher than either person can jump." Neither of those kids looks like a kangaroo so I'd be inclined to call that toss back
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 10:32am.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:26am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
That's how I was taught. If it's too high, blow it and re do it.

The mechanics manual simply says if the "toss is poor" with no further definition.

Also, I accidentally edited your post when I meant to reply to it, sorry.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Is there some rule that when the guy who threw the toss is in the L he absolutely cannot move from his spot alnog the endline? It looks like he's set in cement.

I'm also trying to figure out why there was a shot-clock reset at the 3:54 mark.

All this for these guys and a shot clock, too. I can only imagine the fun that causes during a JV game.

My hope is some nice, veteran official shows them this clip and goes over the myriad of areas where they need improvement.
To be fair, these are JV guys and I'm guessing they are newer officials. Seems like getting video is the first step to improving some things. Court movement being one of the bigger ones, I'll agree.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

First time I have ever seen that mascot.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 11:46am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverfalls57 View Post
First time I have ever seen that mascot.
Me too.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Only if it hits the ceiling.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

6:49, L signals a 3 attempt, doesn't signal the make.
In these parts (MA) we were told 2 or 3 years ago that the L shouldn't signal a successful 3 point FG. Our mechanic is to signal the 3 pt FG attempt if it's in your primary. If the T sees the signal he/she should mirror. If the try is successful only the T should give the "touchdown" signal and the L should only signal if the T didn't see the L's original signal
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 02:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz View Post
In these parts (MA) we were told 2 or 3 years ago that the L shouldn't signal a successful 3 point FG. Our mechanic is to signal the 3 pt FG attempt if it's in your primary. If the T sees the signal he/she should mirror. If the try is successful only the T should give the "touchdown" signal and the L should only signal if the T didn't see the L's original signal
So they think it's better for the Lead to search to see if the T gives a touchdown signal rather than just the Lead just signalling it from the get go?

Makes no sense to me.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

I don't love it either, but the thinking was that the table was missing the signal from the lead.

In practice, what usually happens is that the L holds the 3 point attempt signal until the T makes eye contact after the successful hoop which usually happens pretty quickly.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 03:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz View Post
I don't love it either, but the thinking was that the table was missing the signal from the lead.

In practice, what usually happens is that the L holds the 3 point attempt signal until the T makes eye contact after the successful hoop which usually happens pretty quickly.
I don't see why it would be any different than in 3-man. The Primary gives prelim and touchdown and the C or T mirrors the touchdown and the Lead never mirrors.

So in 2-man, primary prelims & touchdowns. Trail mirrors touchdown, Lead never mirrors touchdown.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 03:38pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I don't see why it would be any different than in 3-man. The Primary gives prelim and touchdown and the C or T mirrors the touchdown and the Lead never mirrors.

So in 2-man, primary prelims & touchdowns. Trail mirrors touchdown, Lead never mirrors touchdown.
Yeah, but in 3-man, the Lead never signals anything involving a three-point try. In 2-man, the Lead does.

I posted something about this a few weeks ago. As the Trail, I need the Lead to signal three-point trys and makes in his PCA. If the Trail is the only person doing the touchdown signal, and the three-point try was attempted 40 feet from where he is standing, it looks weak. I say don't try to streamline 2-man and 3-man to make them as similar as possible. They are different enough already, keep them that way.

Also, I don't know where these "teachings" come from. My state uses the NFHS book. I do not care if I am told to do something different, I am going to follow the book.

Last edited by AremRed; Wed Feb 13, 2013 at 03:40pm.