The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Full court shot one hop

Two questions.
  1. This should be a two pointer?
  2. If clock expires while ball is in the air, it is dead when the ball hits the floor?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=VQGEOaA3JIs

Last edited by APG; Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 10:40pm.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:29pm
(Something hilarious)

1. Yes
2. Nope...
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:31pm
AremRed

1. This try should be scored two points. Here is my reasoning, along with NFHS references.

4-41-4 "The try ends when the throw is successful, when it is certain the throw is unsuccessful, when the thrown ball touches the floor or when the ball becomes dead."

These two highlighted parts seem contradictory. Let us put this on hold for a second.

5-2-1 "A successful try, tap or throw ball from the field by a player who is located behind the team's own 19-foot, 9-inch arc counts three points. A ball that touches the floor, a teammate inside the arc, an official, or any other goal from the field counts two points for the team into whose basket the ball is thrown."

This seems to suggest that if the ball bounces on the floor inside the three-point arc and goes in, two points are scored.

I am not sure about past rule interpretations (where I am sure this exact play is fully covered) but here is the rule interpretation for 2012-2013.

4-41-4B "A1's three-point try is short and below ring level when it hits the shoulder of: (a) A2; or (b) B1 and rebounds to the backboard and through the basket. RULING: The three-point try ended when it was obviously short and below the ring. However, since the live ball went through the basket, two points are scored in both (a) and (b).

I know this situation involves hitting a player and not the ball hitting the floor however rule 5-2-1 above treats the ball hitting a player or bouncing off the floor (inside the arc) the same. This leads me to believe that the basket should be scored two points.

Coming back to rule 4-41-4, I would argue that although the thrown ball has touched the floor (which simply ends the three-point try), it is not yet certain that the throw (as a whole) is unsuccessful.

2. The ball is dead when the try ends. According to the reasoning above, the try has not yet ended because it is not yet certain that the throw (as a whole) is unsuccessful.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:34pm
beware big brother

two points

does not count if horn sounds while ball is in the air. shot ended when it touched the ground.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2013, 11:48pm
C'mon man!!

1. This should be a two pointer? I changed my mind. It is a 2 using 5-2-1.

2. If clock expires while ball is in the air, it is dead when the ball hits the floor? The answer to this question is yes, and no. The ball remains live until the try ends which is described below.

*5.1.1 SITUATION B:

A pass, a tap or a try for field goal by A1 is in flight when the horn sounds indicating the expiration of time in the third quarter. The ball subsequently comes down several feet in front of the basket, strikes the floor without touching any player and bounces into the basket.

RULING: When deemed a pass and not a try, the ball becomes dead immediately when the horn sounds. However, a try or tap by A1 towards A's basket does not become dead until the try or tap ends, which it does when it touches the floor. Therefore, no points are scored. (4-41-2, 4-41-4, 4-41-5)
So if the horn sounds anytime after the ball bounces it is dead immediately and can not be scored.

Last edited by Sharpshooternes; Mon Feb 11, 2013 at 11:52pm.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Funny how Stuart Scott just confidently said "And yes it was a good three pointer".
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 12:05am
beware big brother

You might want to read that ruling better. If the attempt is ruled a shot, and the horn sounds before the ball strikes the ground, the shot ends when the ball hits the ground and no points can be scored.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
You might want to read that ruling better. If the attempt is ruled a shot, and the horn sounds before the ball strikes the ground, the shot ends when the ball hits the ground and no points can be scored.
And, if the horn sounds after the bounce but before the ball enters the basket (hmm -- or is it passes through the basket?), the ball is dead at that time and no points are scored.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNJref View Post
Funny how Stuart Scott just confidently said "And yes it was a good three pointer".
Stuart Scott was correct, in how it played out. The officials on the game scored it as three points.

They have since repented.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Stuart Scott was correct, in how it played out. The officials on the game scored it as three points.

Their confession was not heard...the Pope resigned
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
Their confession was not heard...the Pope resigned
The confession came first.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 05:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The two events might be related, then.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2013, 06:00pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post

Something is VERY wrong with that phrase. Almost like "Skip Bayless is a sharp guy."
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 05:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 year gap View Post
something is very wrong with that phrase. Almost like "skip bayless is a sharp guy."
+1000
Old Wed Feb 13, 2013, 08:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
Something is VERY wrong with that phrase. Almost like "Skip Bayless is a sharp guy."
You know what they say about leading a stopped clock to a train.